What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits…

What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets

by Michael J. Sandel

Con una miriade di esempi, il libro illustra lo schifo nel quale vive il popolo statunitense, dove ci sono polizze sulla vita che fanno guadagnare le aziende sottoscrittrici e non la famiglia del dipartito; dove c'e' un mercato degli autografi delle star del baseball; dove qualcuno fa la fila (a pagamento) al posto tuo per farti assistere alle riunioni del Congresso; dove c'e' chi per 10.000 $ si è fatto tatuare permanentemente il nome di una azienda in fronte a scopi pubblicitari.
L'autore solleva molte domande e da' poche risposte: spontaneamente, scaturiscono da sole. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
A lucid dissection of much that is wrong with today's market triumphalism. ( )
  dazzyj | Apr 27, 2014 |
Persuasive that markets distort values, but less clear where the limits should be. ( )
  PhilipKinsella | May 30, 2013 |
I am a big fan of Michael Sandel, Harvard professor of political philosophy. This book is a factual survey of the encroachment of advertising in American culture, and examines questions of ethical and moral considerations involved in determining what to leave to free markets and what to regulate or dismiss as inappropriate excess.

As in his famous lecture series and book on Justice, Sandel gives few if any answers, takes no sides, and leaves it up to his students and readers to do the critical thinking. Corporations bent on covering the country with invasive advertising will not like some of the examples and comparisons, but the answers are up to each of us to decide what we are willing to tolerate and how far we will allow it to go.

The book is factual and heavily documented. It is the type of book that every thoughtful person should read, not for entertainment but for an historical awareness of from where we came and to where we are going in determining the extent of unregulated free markets. ( )
  mldavis2 | Apr 24, 2013 |
There is very little left that money can't buy and the list of things that cannot be bought grows shorter by the day. That is the tragedy. I found myself frequently shaking my head in disgust as I read this book. When everything has a price, there will be nothing of value. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
What Money Can’t Buy has an easy charm about it, but it also has structural defects which do not, I think, come from its American focus and do not depend on how many of Sandel’s pet hates you share. It is an exercise in persuasive pamphleteering rather than a systematic exploration.

The irony is that I think Sandel would have written a more powerful book had he not tried to argue the case on free-market economists' own dry, dispassionate terms. It is, as he rightly points out, the language in which most modern political debate is conducted: "Between those who favour unfettered markets and those who maintain that market choices are free only when they're made on a level playing field." But it feels as if by engaging on their terms, he's forcing himself to make an argument with one hand tied behind his back. Only in the final chapter does he throw caution to the wind, and make the case in the language of poetry.
For Kiku, with love

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0374203032, Hardcover)

Should we pay children to read books or to get good grades? Should we allow corporations to pay for the right to pollute the atmosphere? Is it ethical to pay people to test risky new drugs or to donate their organs? What about hiring mercenaries to fight our wars? Auctioning admission to elite universities? Selling citizenship to immigrants willing to pay?

In What Money Can’t Buy, Michael J. Sandel takes on one of the biggest ethical questions of our time: Is there something wrong with a world in which everything is for sale? If so, how can we prevent market values from reaching into spheres of life where they don’t belong? What are the moral limits of markets?

In recent decades, market values have crowded out nonmarket norms in almost every aspect of life—medicine, education, government, law, art, sports, even family life and personal relations. Without quite realizing it, Sandel argues, we have drifted from having a market economy to being a market society. Is this where we want to be?

In his New York Times bestseller Justice, Sandel showed himself to be a master at illuminating, with clarity and verve, the hard moral questions we confront in our everyday lives. Now, in What Money Can’t Buy, he provokes an essential discussion that we, in our market-driven age, need to have: What is the proper role of markets in a democratic society—and how can we protect the moral and civic goods that markets don’t honor and that money can’t buy?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:40 -0400)

Sandel argues that we have drifted from having a market economy to being a market society and examines one of the biggest ethical questions of our time: What is the proper role of markets in a democratic society, and how can we protect the moral and civic goods that markets do not honor and money cannot buy?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,776,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible