It's Not Shakespeare by Amy Lane

It's Not Shakespeare

by Amy Lane

2011 (1) 2012 (1) 2013 (1) 2014 (1) 2016 (1) age gap (1) BL (1) contemporary (1) contemporary romance (2) December (1) DONE (1) ebook (3) fiction (1) gang-bangs-to-read (3) gay (1) gay fiction (1) gay romance (1) June (1) Kindle (5) lendable (3) m-m (6) m-m-romance (4) mechanic (1) otr (3) own (1) own-to-read (3) owned (2) romance (3) Sacramento (1) to-read (8)

Very entertaining. Another great story by Amy Lane. 4 stars ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
There are mid-life crises, and then there are mid-life slumps. James Richards, a gay English professor at a small junior college outside Sacramento, California, has slumped so low at age forty-three that he’s nearly belly dancing with the pavement.

That is until he meets gay Latino, politically incorrect, good guy Rafael Ochoa, whom James thinks of as an underwear model. Then not only does James’ life perk up, but readers will start to grin on their way to laughing out loud.

After his boyfriend leaves him and wipes out their shared bank account, college professor James decamps from Maine and takes the first available teaching job on the Left Coast. There he acquires a Boston terrier that he names Marlowe, after the writer who may have been Shakespeare.

James is in a decided slump and unhappy not so much with life as with himself. But one of his students, an “androgynous Goth chick with dyed blue-black hair” who challenges practically every statement he makes in class, decides she can’t see her favorite teacher so down. When she talks about James to her childhood friend Rafael, the almost thirty-year-old mechanic is intrigued and wants to meet James because as Rafi says, he’s got a “white-boy kink.”

So begins a love affair to rival that of any Shakespearean couple. White bread James is thrown into Rafael’s colorful Latino life, complete with his chubby cousin who refuses to have a Quinceañera because everyone will laugh at her, a fortune-telling grandmother, and homophobic male relatives, including a scowling father.

Read the rest of my review at AAR: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9292 ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 4, 2013 |
It was very entertaining and I enjoyed the characters. This, however, didn't pull me in emotionally.

It did have me thinking of what ppl think in an inter-racial relationship, it made me think of my siblings and their relationships; how they differ, what's the same... Both my sisters are married to American men. My oldest sister to an Irish-German American; my younger sister to Black-White American (raised Jewish) and my younger brother to a Romanian-American. There has been a learning curve for all of us; and I can't say that it's been learned yet. We've had some issues within the family because of different upbringing and social/cultural differences that come with such diversity. For myself, I had a baby with a Dominican man, which is what is familiar. Having been raised in the US, we had some cultural differences, but not like with my in-laws. It's also a bit complicated when my parents don't speak English and the in-laws don't speak Spanish. Someone is always getting excluded from the conversation; until the translations begin. It sometimes gets tiring having the same conversation twice :| My point, even with all the different mixes in my family, I have not had to deal with it on a intimate level myself. It was interesting to get into James' head to see what he thought or how he perceived things. It was also very nice to see the sacrifices made by both so that Rafi could maintain his relationship with his family.

Having said that, I didn't fall in love with the characters. Rafi was a bit too much for me and James not enough... For me, James' pain wasn't really felt by me. He came across as a bit of a whiner. Rafi came on too strong and was a bit off-putting. And, maybe because I'm not a dog person, but all that face licking was not pleasant for me. Marlowe was great, but that licking! Too much...

Amy Lane is a favored author and I will continue to buy all her stuff. I just didn't have that connection to these characters as I've had with her previous works.
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is a sweet story. Compared to the other Amy Lane books that I have read, it is much less intense, but no less enjoyable.

What I liked about this is that each characters have insecurities and we get to see them rise above them. It's also a story of opposites attract and I loved how Rafael gets James to live again instead of trying to hide.

This is one of those romances that you can just sit back and know that there is going to be no drama or too much angst.

Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |

mearias | Apr 3, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editBike Book Reviews, Becky (Dec 13, 2014)

College professor James Richards is in a rut and feeling his age. He moved to northern California to escape heartbreak and humiliation, but so far the only good thing to happen to him has been his Boston terrier, Marlowe. Then James's toughest student sets him up with her best friend. Rafael Ochoa is worlds apart from James-chronologically, culturally, and philosophically-but he's also beautiful, kind, and a shot of adrenaline to James's not-quite-middle-aged heart. Together, the two of them forge a bridge between James's East Coast sensibilities and Rafael's West Coast casualness, but can their meeting of the hearts survive James's lack of faith in happy-ever-after?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,150,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible