True Blue Tucker by Campbell Jefferys

True Blue Tucker

by Campbell Jefferys

Digger is one of those fine characters you rarely discover. This Aussie is a conflicted, patriotic, gentleman, easily lead and rarely in control of his environment. But he’s giving it hell. Searching for the heart of Australia when he can’t seem to find it in his own epic father. His chance meeting with a fellow wanderer, Humphrey discovers new vistas and invigorating possibilities. Should he give up the back country ways as the son of the famous sheep shearer Ripper, seemingly known by all he encounters? Or follow the lead of his new fast friend to parts unknown and discover his own path? I loved the characters so much, I’d invite them all to breakfast if I could. Great travelogue and self-discovery, lots of humor and so many alternating views of the life “down under.” Give her a go, mate! This story takes you places!

An advanced copy of this book was provided for an honest review. ( )
  catscritch | Dec 16, 2015 |
I received this book for free through LibraryThing's Member Giveaways.

This book was a pleasant surprise. I had no idea what to expect from this book, but I really enjoyed it. It's an interesting book about the Australian identity. I loved the characters; they were all so vibrant. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jan 19, 2015 |
Description:

Darius and Humphrey are on mission to find the "real" Australia - not just he folklore and the misconceptions; so they embark on a journey across the globe through London, Canada, Munich and Australia itself in order to find what it truely means to be Australian. Then the fun really begins as they open up a "real" Aussie bar in Munich and try to teach their patrons a thing or two about Australia and its history.

Review:

I wasn't really sure if I liked this book when I first started reading it because it had a very strange opening, but after getting past the first few chapters I actually started to enjoy the funny and quirky story-line and the interesting mix of characters the pair met along the way. True Blue Tucker is a unexpected page-turner that immerses the reader in the world of Darius and Humphrey's "true-blue" Australia, with a level of detail that will have the reader longing to experience Australia's beauty and history first-hand. The characters are easy to listen to and well-developed, often adding to the book's overall charm and humour. I am impressed with the writing style and the plot, which often surprised me with its curves, but the pace and the flow varied - fortunately not enough to deter me from reading further. I recommend True Blue Tucker to adults who want to journey into the unexpected and find the "true blue" behind what we hear and see.

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

*** I received this book from the author (Bostick Communications) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Dec 30, 2011 |
What is the "real" Australia like? The author will slowly guide the reader to his understanding of Australia-purely from his perspective. He tells the reader of the myths surrounding the true Australia and then sets about showing the reader the reality.

Darius and Humphrey are the main characters. They will guide the reader through the beauty that is Australia. A portion of the book shows the Australian landscape and people while the other parts of the novel are portrayed from an outsider's perspective-Darius and Humphrey travel around the world learning about the Australian stereotypes. They decide to set up an Aussie bar in Munich and attempt to educate their patrons.

Through sometimes serious, sometimes humorous dialogue the author speaks through his two main characters, Darius and Humphrey, to enhance the readers' understanding of Australia. The characters were easy to get to know and like, they were "true blue" and candid. The idea of an Aussie bar in Munich was both funny and oddly intriguing, the reader will likely not experience a boring moment in this novel. This book is recommended to adult readers. ( )
  Krystal18 | Nov 23, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Campbell Jefferys's book True Blue Tucker was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Campbell Jefferys is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible