Collared by Kari Gregg

by Kari Gregg

3.5* ( )
  Bugetta | Sep 29, 2014 |
Sci-fi Romance

Connor Witt is the IT direct for Trans-Global and is proving to be an anomaly in a world that has been turned upside down. Mutated crops have stimulated the aggression center in the brain in most people except for a select few such as Conner where instead it has been suppressed. Unsure how to deal with his physical changes and terrified of a world that is changing and growing more predatory, Connor is at a disadvantage and risks harassment and worse until Trans-Global CEO David Martin steps in and takes steps to keep Connor safe by collaring Connor. David’s plan is to keep Connor safe from men that see Connor as sexy prey. Men that see Connor’s submission and are drawn to him because of it and determined to possess him completely.

Emmet Drake is a security consultant that is determined to have Connor as his own. It is just a question of how safe Emmet is.

David can’t be Connor’s master as David is straight but David is determined to find a man that is worthy of Connor and that is willing to court him properly. A man that can see Connor is more that a rich man’s toy. As everyone tries to adapt to a biological disaster that slowly strips Connor’s rights away from him day by day David is finding his feelings for Connor revolving into something more. It is just a question of if his desires for Connor can out pace Emmet’s determination to have Connor as his own.

One man offers safety and the other is a safer choice but just which one is which. The only thing Connor knows for sure is that he wants both men equally.

This story takes a what if situation and turns it on its head and provides a story that readers will get drawn into until the very last page. While some readers will find the story line not to their tastes this is one book that is sure to engross readers of this genre. The plot is different and yet is believable in the setting of this story. While the ending could have gone farther it is still a good ending that will satisfy most readers. This is a well written story and will have readers looking to see what else the author has written. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 20, 2014 |
First impression - Please, please, please tell me there will be a sequel to this! I need to know what happens next to everyone.

Seriously, there's so many delicious directions the author could continue with with this story! I was seduced by each of these characters and what they went through. The story is told through Conner's POV, so I felt the most for him. The sex scenes were hot, hot, hot.

And really, I just want more of these guys! I want to see how they handle the upcoming laws, their relationships (especially David and Emmett; how would they 'share' Conner?).

Can't recommend this one enough! ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
3.5 stars, rounded to 4 because the writing and the story fascinated me.

OK, this one was well out of my comfort range, but I knew that going in so I was prepared. After reading the excerpt I was caught and I stayed caught all the way through. But sissies like me should pay close attention to the warnings and gird their loins. There are BDSM elements, but this is essentially a slave fic.

The good: the story was riveting. The dystopia is unfolding as the story progresses and it is intense. I felt for Connor, whose mind is at war with his instincts, and who is so very powerless to control his own destiny. I also felt felt for the the dominants, the vast majority of whom will never get their emotional needs met, since they outnumber the submissives by a thousand to one. I want to know what happens to Connor next and what is going to happen in the world of the story.

I had some trouble with just how weak and overwhelmed Connor became, but I was heartened at the end when he hacked the database to find out if David and Emmett were in the healthy range for dominants or too much so like his ex. It gave me hope that Connor will come out the other side with his will and intelligence intact.

What didn't work so well for me: I didn't entirely buy the governmental reaction to the genetic mutation. I can see not allowing anomalies to be on juries or even vote, but children are citizens. I can't see the government behaving like this. I felt like like the world would have been more believable and hence scarier if the curtailing of rights were more gradual and believable.

Hannah was over the top for me. This part of the story was chilling and effective, but again, I thought it would be more believable if she acted out of sloppiness and callousness instead of being so very evil.

It was just a little too open ended for me. Unlike other reviewers, I thought Connor was suffiiently sorted at the end in terms of his relationship. But the world-building wasn't quite there for me. I come to this as a long term scifi fan, so this will likely not be an issue for more traditional romance readers. But I couldn't get a read on how the mutation will play out over time. I couldn't tell if the individuals were still in the process of changing - there were comments that indicated they were, but at other times it seemed like the roles were pretty established and set. If there are more stories in this world, I might withdraw this complaint. ( )
  Charming2020 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I knew Kari Gregg as an author before reading this book and I knew she likes her submissive to be VERY submissive and her Dominant to have a protective streak. In a near future, a genetic mutation whose purpose was to inhibit aggression had instead highlighted the Dominant side of most, men and women alike. But among them there are some anomalies, 1 out of 1000, who instead have become more submissive, wanting the touch of a Dominant lover, better craving it. Connor is one of them, and IT director who already before the mutation was a kind and nice guy, but now he is like honey for the bears. When the change happened, Connor was in a relationship, but his partner became aggressive, so aggressive that he had to me forcedly removed from Connor and not the poor guy is without a Master, i.e. prey to everyone who is daring enough to claim him. David, Connor’s CEO on the firm, understands that he is in danger and decides to temporarily claim him, until he will be able to find a suitable Master. David is straight, soon to be married to Hannah, and even if he is attracted to Connor, he cannot be what Connor’s need. Problem is that, to David’s eyes, Emmett, the right Master, is not good enough for his precious Connor, not until the time Emmett will not prove to David to be worth of Connor, and to do that he has to court Connor, to cherish and protect him like David is doing. Between them Connor is not able to think straight (no pun intended), David is a safe shelter, warm and comfort, but Emmett is like a volcano, hot and sexy. If only he could have both their qualities in one package…

To the more skittish readers, I have to give a warning, Connor is not playing to be a submissive, he is a submissive; after the mutation Connor has feeble memories of the independent man he was before, he knows he was someone different, and that is the reason why I approve of David’s attempts to recreate a safe haven where Connor can thrive, but Connor cannot live alone; Connor needs a Master to live, he needs to be said what to do, how to do and when to do everything, from the simple shower to eating to working. Approaching this story, readers have to try to think like Connor, to live in the body of a “prey” since to the 1000 Dominants out there he is the only 1 submissive available, and so he is a coveted prize.

There is some sex, not as much as you could imagine, and to some level, there is some non-con sex, or at least, sex that at the beginning needed a little convincement. Plus David and Emmett, with their bartering and fighting sometime forget that Connor is there and maybe he needs them; sure none of them want to hurt Connor, but sometime they don’t realize it.

elisa.rolle | Apr 8, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,134,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible