A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M.…

A Charlie Brown Christmas

by Charles M. Schulz

Recently added byPaulaE, private library, ab72, VivienneR, StAndrewPK, crhealey, 2hokies, deborahmegan, basinschoolmt, jrreid

It's a classic! Charlie Brown hates the commercialization of Christmas. Linus tells Charlie Brown the true meaning of Christmas. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 31, 2013 |
This is a straightforward adaptation of the well-known and beloved Christmas special, which I downloaded for free for the Kindle. The full-color illustrations look nice on the tablet, and it is fun to read the book to my kid on Christmas Eve, then go watch the TV version. It's not great literature or anything, but at Christmastime, this is what we want. ( )
  sturlington | Dec 27, 2013 |
The big idea of this book is for Charlie to find the true meaning of Christmas in a modern world that seems to have lost the meaning of the holiday and turned it into a commercial marketing scheme. I like this book for two reasons. One, the illustrations are classic Charles Schultz style and the whole peanuts gang is present in the story. I feel like the illustrations give the feeling of movement in scenes like the play rehearsal scene when everyone is dancing instead. I also love the illustrations of the Christmas tree, from when Charlie first gets it to when the gang decorates and it becomes a beautiful tree. Second, I love the author's style of writing. The characters are little kids but they talk as if they are jaded adults, which I find humorous. Linus, who is one of the youngest characters, is the one with the most insight into Charlie's problem. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 26, 2013 |
Who doesnt like Charlie Brown. I liked this because of Christmas. Kids love reading books that are entertaining and funny. I would use this book to show books are in every shape and form. Also to point out that they can read just for fun. ( )
  celiebug | Nov 27, 2011 |
Better than the TV Special ( )
  njtrout | Feb 10, 2010 |
To all who know the true meaning of Christmas-=the children of the world
"I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus."
"A Merry Christmas To All," said Charlie Brown.

The beloved Peanuts holiday special about Charlie Brown, Linus, a sad Christmas tree that's rescued and the meaning of Christmas first aired on television in the 1960s. Ages 4-8.

AR 3.6; .5 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689846088, Paperback)

Just like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Valentine, this illustrated read-along seeks to re-create the popular Peanuts TV show of the same name. This edition also includes a four-song sampler CD from jazz-great Vince Guaraldi's brilliant soundtrack.

With illustrator Paige Braddock aping Charles Schulz's style, A Charlie Brown Christmas retells the Emmy Award-winning program blow-by-blow (with a few omissions), from the ice-skating opening scene to preparations for the school pageant to Charlie Brown's ill-fated Christmas tree rescue. Braddock almost perfectly mimics the show's cast and backdrops, but just as no one could be fooled by even expert impersonation of a loved one, Peanuts fans might find the niggling differences distracting (whether it's Schroeder's too-wavy hair or Pig Pen's just-too-small head).

A "novelization" like this probably can't ever hope to completely recapture the charm of the original, even if it had used Schulz's original art. Although the dialogue has been faithfully reproduced, much of the story's subtle appeal and cultural subtext gets lost in the book's simplified exposition--which is too bad, given that these are precisely the qualities which have made the show (and Schulz's timeless strip) so durable and well-loved in the first place. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:21 -0400)

Surrounded by other kids with extremely commercial ideas about Christmas, Charlie Brown struggles to understand the true spirit of the holiday.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,266,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible