The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

The Next Best Thing

by Jennifer Weiner

[bc:The Next Best Thing|13184572|The Next Best Thing|Jennifer Weiner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1334300363s/13184572.jpg|18365161]

I admit it, I only read about half. It was so bad, I just couldn't keep going.

I won't recap the book, as many others have already done so. What I will say is that I found the protagonist, Ruth, to be flat and one dimensional. I just didn't like the way she was written, I found it cloying and very girl-ish. And not in a good way. But in a "dot your 'i's with hearts" kind of way.

I think the ideal audience for this book are girls about 13 years old, with very naive world-views and a love of all things on the LifeTime television network. ( )
  bravewoman | Feb 3, 2017 |
I gave up on this one after 100 pages and too many inconsistencies to count. I finally cried "uncle" when the main character walked into the media room at her high school in the 1980's and it was filled with laptops. Really? I went to high school in the 80's and I am fairly certain the word laptop had not even been conceived at that point. I was disappointed in Weiner's last book and am afraid that she is now going down the path of other very popular authors, who get to the point of popularity where they begin to phone it in- I think I will just enjoy the fact that I liked her earlier books and take her off my list of must-read authors. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
"A sitcom showrunner finds the road to her first series launch much rockier than expected. When Ruth Saunders gets "the call" from the network telling her that her original series, The Next Best Thing, is a go, at first she is incredulous. Although she's served her time in a writers' room, she never expected to sell her autobiographical concept about a young woman, Daphne, and her grandmother, Nanna Trudy, who move to Miami to seek their fortunes. Ruth moved to Hollywood with her grandmother, Rae, and they've both enjoyed success, Ruth as a comedy writer and Rae as an extra. Rae raised Ruth from toddlerhood after a car crash killed her parents and disfigured Ruth. (Even after multiple surgeries, one side of Ruth's face is badly scarred.) After Ruth is hired as an assistant to two writer-producers, Big Dave and Little Dave, they help her develop and pitch her own show.

I enjoyed the first part with the grandmother as humorous; however, as the book moves on, not a lot of substance and a let down from Weiner's previous books, which I have read. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
I always start off books by Ms. Weiner, skeptical, afraid that the books are seen as good because they are so popular. However, I have yet to be disappointed. Ms. Weiner tells a multi-faceted tale about Ruth and her grandmother. The story draws you in and left me unable to put the book down. I had to force myself to go to sleep. As usual, her characters come to life and her dialogue is so real that I got butterflies and goose bumps. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jan 19, 2014 |
What can I say but my brain needed a rest from books where I really need to think! Weiner is my turn-to-author for beach reading (or in this case watch-the-autumn leaves falling book). It was a fun read about Hollywood and the friendship and love between a young woman and her grandma, with romance thrown in. ( )
  brangwinn | Oct 6, 2013 |
For my brothers, Jake and Joe Weiner
The telephone rang.

Believing she is realizing her dreams when her sitcom is bought, television writer Ruth Saunders finds her happiness threatened by demanding actors and executives as well as an unrequited crush on her boss and her septuagenarian grandmother's upcoming wedding.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible