Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton

Coat of Many Colors

by Dolly Parton, Judith Sutton

This book can be used as a crutch to a lesson on bullying and mocking inside the classroom. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | May 4, 2017 |
In my opinion this is a good book. I liked this book because the illustrations really enhance the story. The main character talks about all the rags her mother hand sewed to make this beautiful coat and in the illustrations you can see the colorful, hand patched coat. Furthermore, the book had great language. It was rhythmic and repetitive. The wording was very descriptive as she described how she felt, “in my coat of many colors”. The book pushes the readers to think critically about what makes them happy and what they have pride in. The Coat of Many Colors main message is hope, which is presented throughout its story by not allowing anyone to bring you down on something you have so much pride in. ( )
  kaitlynanna | Apr 17, 2017 |
Story of Dolly Parton growing up in Tennessee and the many hard ships she and her family enduring while growing up poor.
  SABC | Mar 13, 2017 |
I love that this is based off a true story. A sweet authors note is left at the end as well. I find much pleasure in reading a book that is truly personal to the author, and after reading this, I learned there is a song that follows it as well. It explores emotion through what is right and wrong, no need to make fun of someone for what they are wearing; what is something that is personal to you, have you ever been made fun of for something you truly cherished? ( )
  HaileyNBrown | Nov 28, 2016 |
Winter is coming to Tennessee and there's no money to buy a new coat, so a little girl's mama sews one for her out of rags. The little girl wears it to school proudly, and when the other children laugh, she gives them a quick lesson about what it means to be rich.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jun 30, 2016 |

Dolly Partonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sutton, Judithmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A young girl has to have a homemade coat and she teaches her classmates what it means to be rich.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064434478, Paperback)

The rolling hills of Tennessee farmland, framed in lovely patchwork quilt patterns, set the stage for Dolly Parton's (of Grand Ol' Opry fame) warm childhood memories. The text comes directly from Parton's autobiographical hit country and western song of the same name. Perhaps the grammar is imperfect, but what C&W song ain't rife with grammatical errors--it's part of the vernacular. The story centers on a poor, but happy and loving, family (yes, they do exist) who find clever ways to deal with their poverty. As winter approaches, Mama sews a coat for her daughter from a box of scraps that someone has given her. Of course her classmates make fun of her for having a coat made of rags. But sticks and stones... "And although we had no money / I was rich as I could be / in my coat of many colors / that Mama made for me." That doesn't mean the child's feelings aren't hurt, or that she didn't feel angry. But the message comes through loud and clear (like Parton's voice): the child's mother has provided her with the strength to deal with other children's jeers, and family love can sometimes be enough to pull a person through.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:56 -0400)

A poor girl delights in her coat of many colors, made by her mother from rags, because despite the ridicule of the other children she knows the coat was made with love.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible