Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be

by Lauren Morrill

157None75,790 (3.75)11

One of the best YA contemporary novel's I've read this year. It was funny and endearing. Loved it. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
MEANT TO BE was a fun and funny journey. Julia is on a Junior class trip during Spring Break to London. She is ecstatic to be seeing the city where her mother and father went on their honeymoon. Nothing could be better for a girl who loves the Beatles, Pride and Prejudice and Shakespeare. Except none of her friends from the swim team were able to go along with her which leaves her with a bunch of people she doesn't want to spend time with. Worst of all, the chaperone pairs them all up and puts Julia with her nemesis Jason who seems to delight in pushing her buttons.

Julia, besides being accident-prone, is a very romantic young woman. She is certain that her Meant to Be (MTB, for short) is Mark, the boy who was her neighbor as a child and who has now come back into her life - at least, at a distance. She has been crushing on him from afar. When he comes to London with his photographer father, Julia gets a chance to get to know the current version of Mark.

Having lost her father when she was seven, she has a very romanticized version of her parents' relationship which helps inspire her own desire to find her MTB. But after spending time with Jason who is encouraging her to have fun and break a couple of rules, she is conflicted. Sometimes she really likes him but sometimes he really, really annoys her.

I enjoyed the characters and really liked reading the story from Julia's point of view. She has a very quirky sense of humor. I wish that I could have gotten inside Jason's head a little bit more. I wanted a more rounded character than the one Julia saw through her prejudiced eyes.

Fans of romance and humor will enjoy this story very much. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 20, 2013 |
I can’t believe I have waited this long to listen to and or read this book. Meant To Be is a beautiful love story set in London about a teenage girl on a class trip. She has a secret crush, an annoying travel buddy, and a mystery guy texting her and her whole world is topsy turvy over these guys.

Julie is your typical teenage girl, in this case the nerdy kind, straight A’s, doesn’t break rules, doesn’t get involved with trouble. She is also shy and nervous and confused about her love life. On her class trip she is forced to rethink her values of love and what is ‘meant to be’ and it may not be her ideal outcome.

The story was witty and entertaining. Julia and Jason are hilarious to encounter, they play off of each other in both good ways and bad and their snarky picking at one another is so funny. I found myself laughing along with the jokes and out of place actions of Jason.

The love element in this plot was very staggered, as a reader you can kind of see where it is going, then second-guess yourself, and maybe come back again. I think that is an example of some awesome writing and character building if any.

Lauren Morrill did a great job expressing all of the fears, happiness, nervousness, and crazy that comes with having feelings for someone. This was a very fun read. ( )
  sszkutak | Dec 12, 2013 |
“I don't use airplane bathrooms. As a rule. And I really don't like breaking rules. (It's kind of one of my rules.) I mean, if I'm going to plummet to my death, it's notgoing to be with my pants around my ankles.” ( )
  SarahBlackstock | Sep 20, 2013 |
Title: Meant to Be
Author: Lauren Morrill
Ratings; 4 1/2 Stars

I thought that I already knew everything I needed to know about this book from reading the book flap and was I wrong. Meant to Be is a delightful YA contemp that is perfect for a light reading by the pool or at the beach. Lauren Morrill captures the voice of Julia, our main character, perfectly and, being a mini-Julia in high school, I was able to relate to her the whole way through. Morrill captures the awkwardness of being a teenager perfectly as well as the fantasy that all girls have about our MTB (I still think that my MTB and I haven’t stumbled onto each other yet).

First, can I say that I am insanely jealous about the 10-day London trip these HIGH SCHOOL students were able to take!? When I was in high school, the only trip I went on was to New York City and, while I enjoyed it immensely, I do wish that I took advantage of the international trips my drama class went on. Likewise, Morrill caught the excitement of going on a trip as well as the boringness of being stuck with a chaperone on a planned trip perfectly.

The only real gripe I had about this book is that while Morrill did an excellent job in giving the individual characters their voices, I didn’t really see the relationship between these characters. I already knew that Justin was going to be the love interest and it was like she took that for granted by not putting in too much work on making the signs start off as subtle until it grows to a full-fledged crush. The other thing is that I did not see NIck (Julia’s MTB) as a creep even when he started hitting on “Chris” at the coffeeshop. I feel as though she prefered to tell us about these personality traits and character changes rather than showing it to us and that’s the only reason why I knocked off half a star off the review.

With that said, go ahead and read this book thinking that you already know the plot. This book will surprise you. When I read the book flap, I thought automatically that it was Jason who was sending the “text messages from a mysterious secret admirer” and that he liked Julia enough to pull the ruse. That’s why I was extremely focused on the passages that show him reading his text messages because I was sure that he was sending Julia the text messages somehow (I was determined to figure out how before I got to the ending). Turns out that the truth was completely unfathomable and that the case of the switched phones made me question my ability to almost accurately judge the ending of stories. ( )
  ChristineySong | Aug 14, 2013 |

Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

During an educational trip to London, away from her friends and the boy she thinks she is fated to love, Massachussets high school junior Julia Lichtenstein is paired with her nemesis, Jason, and begins seeing many things differently.

25 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible