Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be

by Lauren Morrill

"It's not MTB. It's better."

ASDFGHJKL!! THIS BOOK UGHHHH! It's so easy to fall in love with this book! Most of the time, I feel like I'm Julia. Probably because I'm a sucker for reading and daydreaming about my perfect guy and all those fairytale-esque standards that I tend to be blinded by what's in front of me. Oh and probably with the "denial stage" she experienced. Yeah I'm a Julia haha!

It's a really good young adult book and I enjoyed every bit of it. Love it! :) ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
Lots and lots of cheese. I tried my hardest to connect with the characters and the story, but I just couldn't get past the cheesy predictability of it all. I love the idea of this book, but I just didn't love the book itself. ( )
  Kymberlee | Jun 3, 2014 |
One of the best YA contemporary novel's I've read this year. It was funny and endearing. Loved it. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
MEANT TO BE was a fun and funny journey. Julia is on a Junior class trip during Spring Break to London. She is ecstatic to be seeing the city where her mother and father went on their honeymoon. Nothing could be better for a girl who loves the Beatles, Pride and Prejudice and Shakespeare. Except none of her friends from the swim team were able to go along with her which leaves her with a bunch of people she doesn't want to spend time with. Worst of all, the chaperone pairs them all up and puts Julia with her nemesis Jason who seems to delight in pushing her buttons.

Julia, besides being accident-prone, is a very romantic young woman. She is certain that her Meant to Be (MTB, for short) is Mark, the boy who was her neighbor as a child and who has now come back into her life - at least, at a distance. She has been crushing on him from afar. When he comes to London with his photographer father, Julia gets a chance to get to know the current version of Mark.

Having lost her father when she was seven, she has a very romanticized version of her parents' relationship which helps inspire her own desire to find her MTB. But after spending time with Jason who is encouraging her to have fun and break a couple of rules, she is conflicted. Sometimes she really likes him but sometimes he really, really annoys her.

I enjoyed the characters and really liked reading the story from Julia's point of view. She has a very quirky sense of humor. I wish that I could have gotten inside Jason's head a little bit more. I wanted a more rounded character than the one Julia saw through her prejudiced eyes.

Fans of romance and humor will enjoy this story very much. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 20, 2013 |
I can’t believe I have waited this long to listen to and or read this book. Meant To Be is a beautiful love story set in London about a teenage girl on a class trip. She has a secret crush, an annoying travel buddy, and a mystery guy texting her and her whole world is topsy turvy over these guys.

Julie is your typical teenage girl, in this case the nerdy kind, straight A’s, doesn’t break rules, doesn’t get involved with trouble. She is also shy and nervous and confused about her love life. On her class trip she is forced to rethink her values of love and what is ‘meant to be’ and it may not be her ideal outcome.

The story was witty and entertaining. Julia and Jason are hilarious to encounter, they play off of each other in both good ways and bad and their snarky picking at one another is so funny. I found myself laughing along with the jokes and out of place actions of Jason.

The love element in this plot was very staggered, as a reader you can kind of see where it is going, then second-guess yourself, and maybe come back again. I think that is an example of some awesome writing and character building if any.

Lauren Morrill did a great job expressing all of the fears, happiness, nervousness, and crazy that comes with having feelings for someone. This was a very fun read. ( )
  sszkutak | Dec 12, 2013 |

Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

During an educational trip to London, away from her friends and the boy she thinks she is fated to love, Massachussets high school junior Julia Lichtenstein is paired with her nemesis, Jason, and begins seeing many things differently.

25 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,531,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible