Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be

by Lauren Morrill

2022658,111 (3.78)12

Reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

“There's a difference between preferring books to parties and preferring sixteen cats to seeing the light of day.”

A sweet, funny, fast read that has you falling in love with chicklits all over again. Admittedly, it took some force of will to get into this, mostly because it sounded really rather young, but once I managed to get through that first 20% I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

The best thing about books -- and books like this one, in particular -- is how well someone can sympathise with the main character. I often find myself not being able to relate with them at all and finding it hard to muster up even an inch of sympathy but that wasn't the case with Julia. She was a funny klutz (in a way that puts Bella Swan to shame, considering Bella only ever tripped up twice in Twilight, whereas Julia is consistently making an ass out of herself) and one with a hidden agenda -- to find her "MTB" (Meant to Be). She's 100% convinced that childhood crush Mark is her happily ever after. But is he?

Come on, we all know the answer!

When Julia heads off to London on a class trip, she is paired with her nemesis, Jason. Jason is the fitty and clown of the class and has made it his school life mission to make Julia's life unbearable -- from stuffing her locker full of tampons to pushing her in a pond when she least expects it. So you can imagine how Julia feels about being his "buddy" for ten whole days. Jason whisks Julia away to a party and it turns out that, wow, she's really quite popular! A huge hangover and several numbers later, Julia finds herself in a mysterious boy's attention line... Chris.

Let me point out that there really is no love triangle/square/heptagon here. From the word go, you know how it's going to end because it's just THAT cliché. But it's not the sort of story that will have you rolling your eyes so hard your brain rattles, but the sort of story that makes you facepalm, laugh and ultimately go "awwwww".

There were points in the book, when Julia and Jason are wandering around London, that seriously had me thinking, "Are you for real?"

Mostly because I'm thinking, at the same time, "American tourists IRL aren't THAT bad." If anything, it's European tourists that make me want to slap a bitch. I don't live in London, but my town is incredibly touristy and small, so we're faced with exchange students every year and they are so damn obnoxiously rude. Of course, I have no doubt that not EVERY European tourist is like that, but I can sympathise with the Londoners in the book.

Definitely a read I would recommend to anyone.
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I loved the characters, they were relatable and people I would actually want to know in real life. I love any book set in England and this book was no exception! I liked that the author sent Julia and Jason to well known landmarks in England like the London Eye or the Tate Museum as well as little cafes and shops and record stores. It made me want to try and find the places she described! ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Aug 26, 2014 |
"It's not MTB. It's better."

ASDFGHJKL!! THIS BOOK UGHHHH! It's so easy to fall in love with this book! Most of the time, I feel like I'm Julia. Probably because I'm a sucker for reading and daydreaming about my perfect guy and all those fairytale-esque standards that I tend to be blinded by what's in front of me. Oh and probably with the "denial stage" she experienced. Yeah I'm a Julia haha!

It's a really good young adult book and I enjoyed every bit of it. Love it! :) ( )
1 vote PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
Lots and lots of cheese. I tried my hardest to connect with the characters and the story, but I just couldn't get past the cheesy predictability of it all. I love the idea of this book, but I just didn't love the book itself. ( )
  Kymberlee | Jun 3, 2014 |
One of the best YA contemporary novel's I've read this year. It was funny and endearing. Loved it. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |

Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

During an educational trip to London, away from her friends and the boy she thinks she is fated to love, Massachussets high school junior Julia Lichtenstein is paired with her nemesis, Jason, and begins seeing many things differently.

25 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,156,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible