Magritte's Marvelous Hat by D. B.…

Magritte's Marvelous Hat

by D. B. Johnson

Magritte's Marvelous Hat is a delightful book. The transparency pages are one unique feature. Children are intrigued by them. The illustrations are vibrant. The use of a bear makes the story accessible to little children. There are little bits of surrealism in both the illustrations and the text. The surrealism is included like little easter eggs rather than overwhelming the child with it. I like that way it presents someone with a unique perspective as being an interesting and fun person whose ideas and images are worth consideration. ( )
  KatySilbs | Dec 14, 2018 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. One of the things I like about this book are the transparent overlay pages. There are a few transparent overlay pages that make this book really fun to read. The illustrations are beautifully done, and the transparent overlay pages add to the appeal. The illustrations and the transparent overlays enhance the story. They show exactly what the text is saying and it makes the story very enjoyable. I also like the descriptive language the books uses. For example, “‘Perfect!’ said Magritte. He liked how the hat did not pinch his ears or muss his hair.” When I read that I got a clear image in my mind of someone with a serious case of “hat hair”. Since Magritte’s hat floats right above his head, he doesn’t have to worry about hat hair. I also like how this book pushes the reader to think about the way they treat the people around them. When Magritte gets the hat he begins to paint what he considers to be his best picture ever. The next day he takes the hat out for a walk and they play together the entire day. When Magritte gets home, he starts to paint and paint and he ignores his hat. “Magritte forgot all the fun he had walking with his hat. He even forgot he had a hat until the moment it bounced along the ceiling, wanting to play.” When Magritte says he doesn't want to play, the hat flies out the window and leaves Magritte all alone. Once the hat is gone Magritte realizes what he is missing. Magritte realizes that the hat is his inspiration and his friend. He goes to find the hat and never forgets about the hat again. The big idea of this story is to never neglect the people who mean the most to you. ( )
  Chawki6 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Clever and unique picture book filled with mixed media illustrations, animal characters, and a surrealistic style. There are multiple surprises on each page. Children will love the transparent, double-sided overlays and the use of everyday objects in non-traditional ways. The Author's Note at the end provides information about how this book was inspired by the paintings of Rene Magritte, a Belgian artist. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
I am of two minds about this one. On the one hand, while the story is pretty straightforward, there are so many things to notice in the pictures, and certainly a lot of references to actual Magritte paintings, and the plastic overlays work well with the invitation to look closer.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Magritte's art doesn't really need to be mediated for children...there's so much that is accessible to them (recognizable objects--hats, eggs, clouds, umbrellas, apples) and they often seem more able to straddle the border between real and surreal than adults are. What can this book do for kids that can't be done by just looking at and talking about a dozen of Magritte's paintings?

PS: And, as always, my art-book-for-kids question: Where are the prints of the actual art for us to look at? Though there is an author's note that makes a stab at explaining the surrealists.
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Surprisingly delightful children's book about a dog, Magritte, who finds a hat in a shop window that floats above his head when he goes to try it on. In turn, the hat encourages him to play. As long as the dog has the hat, he is able to paint incredible pictures, but when Magritte forgets to play, the hat disappears and Magritte has to go looking for it. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jun 13, 2013 |
For Lise and Adam

"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see." —Rene Magritte

D.B. Johnson writes and illustrates the surreal story of famous surrealist painter Rene Magritte and his very mysterious (and mischievous!) hat. While the art reflects some of Magritte's own work, the text sets readers on a fun and accessible path to learning about the simpler concepts behind Mr. Magritte's work.

This delightful picture book captures the playfulness and the wonderment of surrealist art. Four transparent pages add yet another level of surrealism to the illustrations as pictures can be altered with the turn of a page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

When painter Magritte buys a playful--and magical--hat, his painting enjoys a burst of creativity. Inspired by the art of French surrealist painter Rene Magritte.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,695,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible