Son by Lois Lowry

English (100)  Italian (1)  All languages (101)
I liked this book… but I don’t love it and want to read it over and over again like I did The Giver. I just didn’t connect emotionally with Claire the way I did with Jonas in the original book. The theme of the book is about a mother’s longing for her baby, and I don’t think many young readers will connect with Claire, either…. not that it is too mature a subject for them, just that they will not have the life experience to empathize. I also thought the questions left unanswered at the end of The Giver were tied up too neatly, with too little real explanation, the reader is just expected to accept the supernatural elements on faith. I kept wishing that the story would follow the river boat crew and show how the outside world views the community where Claire and Jonas grew up.

I have added The Giver to my mental list of the many (MANY) books and movies that should not have had sequels.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I think this book was a great way to tie all the others together and finalize what had been going on. We got some answers to questions previously thought unanswered in book 3. We got to return to the community Jonas grew up in and Gabe was born in and see a brand new community as well. And finally end up back in Village, tying together all the characters we'd come to know and love. Things are not perfect of course, they never are, but we find out how Gabe has grown and he gets to have his part in the whole story that's been unfolding. I truly love the way the author decided to take this story to the end and give us all some closure. I'm very glad I read this series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I want to know if Claire ever meets Einar! Amazing book; fav from the whole series :) ( )
  Ishmeen | Mar 24, 2016 |
Finished Son yesterday. I had to re read The Giver even though I'd read it 1 year ago. My memory is failing me a lot lately)

Well, I loved that this book played out in the same community as did Jonas of the first book, he Giver.
That community where they have no feelings and no colours really interested me. I also enjoyed that there were a lot of ties to Jonas his story. The main character of this book also interested me so I really devoured the book.

The only let down to me was the end. if not for the end I would have given it 5 stars. All of a sudden it felt rushed to me.
The big problem where the main character struggled with, had to be solved, I felt. Not easy for me to explain but I'll try. Okay I think not all problems have to be solved and i did not expect it from Lois Lowry because she did not do that in her other books. Because of that I felt the end was more a YA ending, and the other 3/4th of the book was for YA and adults.

Hope I was able to express myself clearly?

Anyway. I highly recommend this series to any reader. I sometimes wonder why this series is not more popular. You hear so much about The Hunger Games, (of which book 1 is great, but the others not as good) and other YA dystopian books. I feel this series should be on top because all the books were great! ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I wanted to love this book, as The Giver is one of my favorites, but it was just too much of a mess. It was really three short stories fused into one novel. But the style and genres were so different, that I just couldn't embrace them all equally. I would have liked to read more of the first book and none of the 2nd and 3rd. They just seemed out of place. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

645 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,833,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible