Son by Lois Lowry

Son (2012)

by Lois Lowry

English (56)  Italian (1)  All languages (57)
This last book didn't live up to my expectations from the other three in the series. I have had a while to process, and I think it was a fine ending. Knowing what happens to everyone involved is ok. Seeing that more people are still developing 'powers' that others don't have can give you a lot of imagination fodder. Gabriel defeating the Trademaster is a bit of a let down though, because it sets the world up to be one where bad things can be defeated, and the purpose of all the others seemed to focus on having hope even though there is evil/bad out in the world. The overrunning theme of hope is what kept me coming back, and in a few paragraphs that was lessened IMO. But I also have to remember that if I want things to happen a certain way, I should probably write a book myself. :) The writing style was consistent and I liked having an ending after wondering for so long what laid in the future for everyone. ( )
  tkappleton | Jun 22, 2014 |
Wow wow wow just wow let me just say I thought I was never going to finished reading Son because I was super busY the beginning of June. I was getting ready for an author event last weekend and that was the same time I started to read this amazing book, but thankfully I was able to finished it at two o clock Sunday morning.

I really loved and enjoyed Son at the beginning it took us back to the community in a birth mother pov she was blind folded and she was about to give birth to her first baby. During her birth there had been some complications so they had to do an emergency c-section while she was sedated. While she was recovering from her c-section she was decertified as birth mother and reassigned to the Fish Hatchery. That's when we find out her name is Claire and her baby is Gabe. During her time at the fish hatchery she always visits her son secretly at the caring center that nobody now that she was the birth mother of number 36 who was Gabe. During her visits she got closure to her son and had so many strong emotion going through her that she did not understand why she was the only one feeling so much emotion for her son like that. Until she figured out why she had so many emotion for her son and nobody else had strong emotion like her and she kept the truth a secret so the community went take it away from her. Now I am going to leave it off here because Claire goes through a journey to find her son when Jonas leaves the community with him and Ohh boy what an hard journey it was for her that it almost took her life, but you have to read this amazing book to find out what happens to Claire! all and all Son was an amazing book for me that I am so glad and happy that I finished reading the giver quartet! Until Next Time My Friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Jun 11, 2014 |
This series is so good! I loved the way all the books were about different characters but the stories were intertwined and all wrapped together nicely in the end. This book had some great twists that I didn't see coming! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 30, 2014 |
Fourth book of the Giver quartet. Claire was chosen to be a Birthmother at the Ceremony. She has a son, but in her world, babies live in the Nurturing Center and are assigned to parents as toddlers. When her son disappears with another child, Jonas, Claire also leaves her community to try to find him. A shipwreck leaves her trapped for years in an isolated village, yet Claire never loses her desire to find her son. It may require a sinister deal with the Trademaster to succeed, but the cost may be too high. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 29, 2014 |
Story of Claire's search for her son after he is taken from her after birth, as is usual in her utopian community. She meets many characters along the way and the story culminates in a fight between good and evil. A good story on its own merits but it could also be used as a conversation starter for many teen conversations. While a companion book to others by Lowry it is not necessary to have read them. I'd recommend to anyone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 27, 2014 |
In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive?  She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:48 -0400)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.

173 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,242,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible