Practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo

Practical paleo (2012)

by Diane Sanfilippo

Other authors: Bill Staley (Photographer), Robb Wolf (Foreword)

203557,794 (3.77)7

Of 411 pages the first 221 are informational as only a textbook can be... the next several pages are (seriously) "How to Chop".....

There are several chapters that are for specialty diets, and the menus are listed, but the recipes are named not included in the chapter. That makes it very difficult when you have to go look up the recipes in a different section.

The book is heavy, but the recipes are easy to see/read & interesting enough.

The vanilla almond sponge bread caught my eye, but the dessert recipes that mix bacon and chocolate made me want to hork! I mean bison, butternut cocoa chili (ewwwwwwwwwww)? Flourless mocha bacon brownies or nutty bacon bark?

I like cauliflower, but I don't think I want it pureed like mashed potatoes.

I can not see spending $39.95 on this book....... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Excellent recipes. Great for anyone with food allergies. I highly recommend trying the Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs. Even if you don't follow Paleo it's definitely worth the look just for the recipes. ( )
  Marleen_Cloutier | Oct 26, 2014 |
Two instead of three stars, because, while the information was decent, the organization...not so much. I'm willing to believe (in the absence of evidence to the contrary) that this was because I got the electronic version rather than the tree version. The text was full of hyperlinks to "appendixy" information, with no way to return to the original location in the text, and the overall sense I got is that it was more or less cut-and-paste'd together. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Although I always appreciate background information in any book, I'm not thrilled when it is heavyhanded. The introduction and it's borderline bashing of all other forms of diet were a little off-putting.

The quality of information and writing was good. The recipes were well presented.

If I was suggeting this book, I would suggest it to singles, couples or families with a stay at home mom. Many of the books recipes are time consuming and make a big mess. As a full-time working mother of 3, this book is just a bit too impractical. And the recipes are not picky kid friendly. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
When this arrived the other day, I was surprised. Had no idea that my husband ordered it. As soon as I saw it though, I dove right in. Sanfilippo says that she has a background in graphic arts and it shows; this book is very visually appealing - it sucks you in and more importantly, keeps you there. I think I read this basically in one sitting. Only about 1/2 of the book is text that you'll want to read that way though. The rest is made up of meal plans tailored to help improve or manage specific conditions (like cancer recovery, chronic fatigue or athletic performance) and recepies for the dishes in the meal plans. Very practical for sure.

As an intro into a paleo-type way of eating it is decent. Sanfilippo starts out by explaining what brought her to a whole-foods approach and why she got into nutrition as a career. Her story is very familiar; healthy childhood, thin adolescence then insidious weight gain in early adulthood all the while sticking to conventional wisdom that is supposed to prevent this from happening. After some false starts she finally realizes it isn't working and that ditching processed foods does.

Next she talks about why the government recommendations for healthy eating are complete bunk. As compared to It Starts With Food, Sanfiilippo takes a more political tack; she outright says that the whole food pyramid is built on agri-business' manipulation of government positions, officials and policy and that all you have to do is follow the money and you'll know why we're told to eat the crap we are. Her inclusion of science is a bit more hard-core as well and I found her writing to be clear, consice and easy to follow without cutesy little asides. She also doesn't litter the text with lots of references to her website or other businesses. I liked that.

The word practical in the title isn't there just to make nice aliteration; she sticks to it throughout the book, tackling subjects like budget, eating out, ethnic food pitfalls and has put together handy lists of optimal foods in all categories. They are duplicated in the back so you can pull out the ones you need to refer to often. Nice touch.

I found the very large section on digestion to be very informative. Even though I'd read some of this information in the other books I've read recently, I did learn a few things and had the information I already knew validated. Her approach to explaining digestive funtion is to explain how things work optimally then show how they can go wrong and how to correct it. Very practical.

Since I don't have a health condition to treat other than being overweight, I didn't scrutinize the meal plans. She starts each one with a description of the symptoms, then she has a specific set of diet and lifestyle recommendations followed by supplements a person could add to the foods. Then she gives you 30 days of meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each of the meals has a recepie also included in the book (and she even puts the page number in the meal matrix - nice!). While I'm not a cook, I am an enthusiastic eater and I found several recepies that I want my husband to try.

I have only two complaints and they're both physical. First is the binding - it's a typical paperback binding and it's very hard to lay the book flat. It's a big book and heavy and so I think a spiral binding would have been more practical (ha!). Second is that some of the photography is just plain bad. At first I thought the out-of-focus thing was an artsy choice, but then after a while I realized it isn't. It's not bokeh, it's blurry. Ugh. As a photographer, this drove me nutty.

Anyway, if you are wondering why you're fat and sick despite following the conventional dietary advice shelled out these days (low fat, low cal, high fiber, no meat, no eggs etc), this book will open your eyes and then give you tools and ideas to follow through on making yourself healthy.

Read more: http://thebookmarque.blogspot.com/#ixzz24B4hW4B1 ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Aug 21, 2012 |

Diane Sanfilippoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staley, BillPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolf, RobbForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Our great-grandmothers didn't need nutrition lessons—then again, they weren't forced to wade through aisle after aisle of packaged foods touting outlandish health claims and confusing marketing jargon. Over the last few decades, we've forgotten what "real food" is—and we're left desperately seeking foods that will truly nourish our bodies. We're disillusioned with the "conventional wisdom" for good reason—it's gotten us nowhere.

Achieving optimal health without calorie-counting, diet foods, or feelings of deprivation has never been easier. Practical Paleo explains why avoiding both processed foods and foods marketed as "healthy"—like grains, legumes, and pasteurized dairy—will improve how you look and feel and lead to lasting weight loss. Even better—you may reduce or completely eliminate symptoms associated with common health disorders!

Practical Paleo is jam-packed with over 120 easy recipes, all with special notes about common food allergens including nightshades and FODMAPs. Meal plans are also included, and are designed specifically to support:

immune health (autoimmune conditions)
blood sugar regulation (diabetes 1 & 2, hypoglycemia)
digestive health (leaky gut, IBS & IBD)
multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndromethyroid health (hypo and hyper - Hashimotos, Graves)
heart health (cholesterol & blood pressure)
neurological health (Parkinson's & Alzheimer's)
cancer recovery
fat loss
athletic performance
a "squeaky-clean" Paleo approach

Practical Paleo is the resource you'll reach for again and again, whether you're looking for information on healthy living, delicious recipes, or easy-to-understand answers to your questions about how a Paleo lifestyle can benefit you, your family, and your friends.

This book explains why avoiding both processed foods and foods commonly marketed as "healthy"--like grains, legumes, and pasteurized dairy--will improve how people look and feel and lead to lasting weight loss. Descriptive content provided by Syndetics{u2122}, a Bowker service.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible