How I Came to Sparkle Again by Kaya McLaren

How I Came to Sparkle Again

by Kaya McLaren

I won this book through the fantastic First-Reads program!

While the title may inspire all sorts of [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1307515757s/41865.jpg|3212258] related snickering, the book bears little in common with [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1307515757s/41865.jpg|3212258]. It is written by a woman, and it does take place where the weather is cold and the sun somewhat optional... but that's about it. Sparkle is the name of the Colorado town that the protagonist, Jill, finds herself returning to when her marriage goes sour. Thus it begins.

I adored this book, personally, and a lot of that comes from the fact that the Montana town I lived in resembled the Colorado town in this book. [b:How I Came to Sparkle Again|13538927|How I Came to Sparkle Again|Kaya McLaren|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1338565701s/13538927.jpg|19101279] is a very good depiction of the small ski resort town philosophy, and how different life can be when lived within the confines of the jagged Rocky Mountains. Uncle Howard is the incarnation of what many longtime Montanans I've known have become, and the Kennel boys... well, I've eaten more than one turkey that was roasted in a garbage can.

[b:How I Came to Sparkle Again|13538927|How I Came to Sparkle Again|Kaya McLaren|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1338565701s/13538927.jpg|19101279] can be seen as a different way to live ones life, and of course, skiing is a reflection of that life. You surrender to the storm, and you survive - you fight it, and you end up hurt. You might end up hurt anyway, but that's just because that's life. Montana and Colorado are both states that tend to subscribe to zen life philosophies...

Well, when the Church of Stuff Happens opens up you'll see me sitting in the pews. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Love the title of the book; it sounds like it should be an inspirational story. I don't know anything about skiing but this was an ok background in spite of my ignorance of the sport. The skiing stuff was kept simple enough for it to make sense to me. Rather a large cast of characters and it was definitely difficult to keep some of them straight. Especially since many of them didn't really add to the story. While I probably wouldn't deliberately seek out this author again, I would consider reading additional books after reading their descriptions.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jak910717 | May 25, 2014 |
I characterized this book as "light" when I first received it, then reconsidered (the themes of death, recovery,longing, etc are pretty strong throughout), and finally think...yes, it is a light read. Not that it is bad at all; it is in fact a very engaging book with characters one cares about and some very funny episodes amongst the tears. It is light because...you just know that everything is going to turn out okay, in the best traditions of light reading. No worries; good will find good, hearts will be healed, beauty will shine through the world. In that way it is a feel good book. But..it's not all fluffy; it is one of those books that engages the heart (and tells the mind to go sit in a corner and behave itself).

Now, I've received communications from family members in my life much like those our heroine gets (via email in this book, cause it's modern times now). Mine were letters. Not the same denomination, but the same theme of "oh, we are so sorry you are gonna burn in hell" (or in this case, not be in the same special rank in heaven as the good family members). But I was a little uncomfortable on behalf of anyone who might pick up this book and might belong to the church our heroine's parents are part of. It's not a church I know much about, but my fair-play obsession was going "well, surely not everyone is as bad as that".

Loved Uncle Howard, who talks just like my own philosophic strange partner (and reminded me of Jane Langton's Homer--you know the guy who is obsessed with Thoreau and such? Though Howard is more obsessed with Hesse). Loved the dogs. Loved Cassie, though I'm not sure she is a fully believable 10 year old...but hey, I was having my mind go sit in a corner, so I didn't have to fuss about such things. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
For the 30 something female crowd ( )
  shazam79 | Jan 2, 2013 |
How I came to Sparkle again is a really heartwarming book. Not the typical type of romance book or even contemporary fiction novel either. The characters all feel like real people~ they are funny, goofy, and sometimes sad. The story is more about finding yourself when everything in life has gone wrong.

I'm more of a horror reader myself, and I won this in a Goodreads giveaway, but I am so glad that I did. This is a really good book. It's a sweet novel that warms the heart. I look forward to reading more from Ms. McLaren in the future.

**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review. I was not required to write a positive review, only an honest one.** ( )
  boipayn | Nov 1, 2012 |

Tells the story of three different women--Jill returning home after heartbreak, Lisa looking for real romance, and ten-year-old Cassie grieving her deceased mother--and their transition from loss to love in a small Colorado ski town named Sparkle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible