A Woman Called: Piecing Together the…

A Woman Called: Piecing Together the Ministry Puzzle

by Sara G. Barton

199537,190 (3.94)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed. I know I used to wonder why women could be missionaries and yet could not be pastors. Why not/? This book is enlightening on how they can be called to the ministry. Beautifully written too! ( )
  angelswing | Jan 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read Two Views on Women in Ministry (Counterpoints: Bible and Theology) and liked it but that is a much different book than this one. I love Barton's thought, Grace tastes so good. Instead of dissecting this issue theologically, we need to look at individual experiences in light of God's word.
  lowndeb | Jan 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a child, I remember asking my church's pastor if girls could be pastors. He gave him a firm "no" and explained why girls didn't serve in the church. This was a sore spot in my heart for some time. While I don't serve in ministry now, this book softened my heart to how women can be of service in the church. It is beautifully written and an excellent story for any Christian woman who is looking for her calling. ( )
  librarianolivia | Dec 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the way the author brought out such a personal touch on such a touchy subject (in some churches). A very interesting book for others that struggle with what God is calling them to do. I appreciate the opportunity to read this and will share this with several women at my church who are struggling with God's call for them. ( )
  sdmurphy53 | Sep 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sarah Barton shares opening and honestly about her struggles to reconcile her "calling from God to the ministry" and the confines and constructs of her faith community where women are not to "preach." It is interesting to see her strong identification with her faith community as well as with the Ugandan people with whom she and her husband have served as missionaries for years.

She admits that she doesn't have all the pieces of the puzzle together yet, but she continues to walk in faith to work out her personal journey of ministry and finds fullfillment through teaching Bible courses at the collegiate level.

Good read for an inquiring soul. ( )
  prudencegoodwife | Aug 11, 2012 |

The call to ministry is profound and life-changing, one that women are often forbidden to answer. In this sensitive and moving memoir Sara Barton speaks openly and vulnerably about how the conflict has played out in her life.

In many churches today, Christians assume that women are excluded from the public role of preaching--yet women like Sara Barton experience a call to preach, forcing congregations and individuals to confront a complicated rethinking of tradition and theology. For many, the issues that surface are fraught with hopes and fears--hope of what could be in a church that embraces women's voices in the pulpit and throughout leadership; and fear of violating God-ordained order and losing a sacred commitment to Scripture. Other books have addressed the theological arguments in this important debate, and while those works are significant, they tend to be removed from the day-to-day realities involved.

Feeling an inner call to preach as a young girl, Sara found herself perplexed because of her community's strong teachings about the role of women in the church. She has been seeking her way ever since--still convinced she is supposed to preach, still confused by the censure that brings in her religious community, and unwilling to reject that community in return. Sara's story is one of being pulled apart and yet deeply committed. Anyone touched by this issue should take her voice seriously.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sara G. Barton's book A Woman Called: Piecing Together the Ministry Puzzle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible