Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard

Bumps in the Night

by Harry Allard

Other authors: James Marshall (Illustrator)

When he discovers his house is haunted, Dudley Stork enlists the help of his friends to find out what is causing the spooky noises.

Dudley thinks his house is haunted. He calls his friend Trevor who tells him to try and figure out what the ghost wants. Dudley is too scared, so Trevor informs him about mediums. The medium "Mrs. Kreepy" makes contact with the ghost, and they all become friends and play games together. ( )
  ktgordon | Nov 24, 2017 |
Bumps in the Night is a ghostly story about the character Dudley the Stork and his haunted house. Dudley is so concerned about his house and the bumps he hears at night that he hires a medium. We soon meet this medium whose name is Madam Kreepy. Soon after Madam Kreepy helped begin a séance we meet the ghost who has been haunting Dudley’s house, named Donald the Horse. We learn that Donald is a friendly ghost and Dudley and all his friends easily begin to find him likable. Dudley and all of his friends welcome Donald the Horse to stay and visit during the night anytime he would like, and they all become friends. It is easy to see why this book is considered a challenged book. Although Donald the Horse ends up being a friendly ghost and the story comes to a great ending, this short story may be too much for young readers. I feel as if young children shouldn’t be introduced to things such as mediums and séances. Being that this book is based all about ghosts, mediums, and a séance, this may make children uncomfortable and also get curious about things such as speaking to the dead. Although I found this story cute, I would avoid reading and having stories like this in my classroom. ( )
  asialandry | Sep 26, 2016 |
Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
This audio book is about Dudley who tried many different ways to get to sleep to no avail.
He heard a lot of different noises and then heard a sound that was not at all like anything he had heard before. The sound turned the tv on and then off.
bumping up the stairs, smack, it touched his beak and then ran back into bed. He saw the white thing going back down the hall.
The other chapters are when he goes to his friends and ask their opinions about what it could be... One tells him to talk to a median who will talk to the ghost to find out what they want...
  jbarr5 | Nov 4, 2014 |
Summary: In this book Dudley the Stork tries to find out what is going bump in the night in his house.

Personal Opinion- A cute Halloween book. It teaches how children should not be afraid of ghosts. The art work is in line shading cartoon.

Classroom Extension- 1) How to make sound effects with items around a room. 2) Life lesson in how you can ask for help from friends and family. 3) What different cultures believe in ghosts.
  Truly.Mae.Pettijohn | Oct 29, 2013 |
A stork hears noises in the night and believes he may have a ghost living with him. His friend tells him to hold a seance where they discover the noise came from the previous owner who died in the house. They all become friends in the end. ( )
  cspine | Feb 7, 2013 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,505,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible