Dust of My Wings by Carrie Ann Ryan

Dust of My Wings

by Carrie Ann Ryan

Humans aren’t as alone as they choose to believe. Every human possesses a trait of supernatural that lays dormant within their genetic make-up. Centuries of diluting and breeding have allowed humans to think they are alone and untouched by magic. But what happens when something changes? Neat freak lab tech, Lily Banner lives her life as any ordinary human. She’s dedicated to her work and loves to hang out with her friends at Dante’s Circle, their local bar. When she discovers a strange blue dust at work she meets a handsome stranger holding secrets – and maybe her heart. But after a close call with a thunderstorm, she may not be as ordinary as she thinks. Shade Griffin is a warrior angel sent to Earth to protect the supernaturals’ secrets. One problem, he can’t stop leaving dust in odd places around town. Now he has to find every ounce of his dust and keep the presence of the supernatural a secret. But after a close encounter with a sexy lab tech and a lightning quick connection, his millennia old loyalties may shift and he could lose more than just his wings in the chaos.… (more)

This review can also be found on my blog.

Dust of My Wings had a straightforward plot: Angels live among unsuspecting humans, and their existence must remain a secret at all costs. When a Lily, a lab tech and a human poses a threat to that secret, the angel warrior Shade is dispatched to make sure she can't go through with her job. But Shade falls in love with her. Their happiness is short-lived when a traitor amongst the angels threatens the peace but also targets Lily. However, Lily has a secret of her own.

This was my first book by Ms Ryan, and I found many aspects of it very enjoyable. The plot may not have been anything new, but it was definitely engaging, and all the different characters pulled me in and made me care for them. Strangely enough, I found myself liking the secondary characters, Faith and Ambrose, more than the main characters. Not that Shade wasn't a great hero, but I loved the mysterious leader of the warrior angels.

Shade and Lily definitely had chemistry, and the plot made the pacing of their attraction believable, as did their unique connection. The love scenes were hot, especially my particular favorite - up in the air. I am just not a fan of heroines who are very insecure, or who get melodramatic that they inadvertently put themselves in grave danger. When she finds out the truth about Shade's reason for being on earth in the first place, she quickly draws the right conclusion, but allows her anger to overrule logic. I did like the fact that she was destined to be different, but I still giggle over the name of her particular species. There were a few grammar mistakes, but overall the story was engaging and made for a fun read. I look forward to the next book and Ambrose's story.
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
I enjoyed the plot and the characters of Dust of My Wings but it lost a star for not having been copyedited - "vile" and "vial" are NOT interchangeable and that's just one of the most egregious examples. I have come to terms with the fact that books are going to have a typo or two in them - if bestsellers have them then midlist books will as well. Fine. But Dust of My Wings didn't seem to have been professionally edited at all and it kept throwing me out of the story. I wanted to be immersed in this world of angels and other immortal races as they hide from humans but I couldn't because every time I started to sink into it, I flinched at the errors in spelling, grammar, etc. Which is really too bad because the plot and characters seemed great. I love Carrie Ann - I think she's funny, sweet, and has great stories in her head that I'd love to read but no author is perfect and everyone needs editing. As a reader, it's frustrating to read a book that hasn't been through that most basic process on the journey to being published. ( )
  Irishcontessa | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is the first book that I have read that had any type of Angels in it.

I love paranormal romance, so I am really surprised that I haven't read one yet.

I was totally hooked on this book! From the moment I started reading it I couldn't stop.

Carrie Ann Ryan adds such spark to her books.

This was an ARC from the author. ( )
  mammy4423 | Nov 17, 2012 |
Holy. Sexy. Angel. Wings. That's all I've got to say about Carrie Ann Ryan's latest release! This book was incredible to the max, though I do have to be honest. After reading her Redwood Pack series, I just didn't have the nerve to start this book at first. You get used to an author writing about one type of subject, and sometimes the switch over isn't always the greatest. Well, Carrie Ann Ryan has gone above and beyond and has the extreme talent to write about multiple paranormal subjects (i.e. wolves, angels....) and come out on the top! But, I gotta say something here. I didn't like this book. Nope. Not one bit. It was too amazing to just like it. It's even better than the Redwood Pack and I will forever love this start to a new series!

Dust Of Wings, book 1 in Ryan's Dante's Circle series, is filled with one amazing plot line, characters that come to life, and passion that sets fire to the soul. Shade's character is beyond sexy and can I seriously get one of him, please? Shade's adorable from the start with his quirky mentality and really pulls the reader to the heart of the story. He's got a problem though; one that he's had since he was a kid (all those millenia ago, right?!). The council has brought it to his attention that he's leaving behind dust from his wings and a human has come across it. Now it's up to Shade to find the human woman, see what she knows and make sure no more dust is left behind. What he didn't expect was the sizzling attraction he feels for Lily. What's more, is someone's up to something, plotting to take Lily out, and the way his heart his feeling....well Shade won't let that happen.

Lily hates her life, for the most part. She's got an ex-fiance who doesn't believe in fidelity. She's got a boss who doesn't get the picture. Parents who have their own issues. And, well, frankly she just wants to find someone attractive to take her mind off things. When she meets a tall, dark amazing stranger, she can't help what she feels towards him. So, she takes a chance and agrees to go out with him. Meeting up at Dante's Bar for the date, she's not ready for what happens next. With a twist in the story, Lily starts to change. Things aren't what they seem and to top it off, she's loosing her heart to Shade. But, can he save her from what's happening now?

Reading this book was like watching an incredible new movie. Better than watching a movie, in fact. Each page turn brings humor, passionate characters (and some characters that aren't so passionate, for sure!) and leaves the reader with a satisfaction beyond words. Five Books does not come close to doing this book justice. From werewolves to angels, Ryan knows what her readers want and just how to deliver it! I am highly anxious to read more of Dante's Circle books, especially Ambrose's story! Now that's another sexy angel for another review.......oh and did I mention I adore the cover on this book? (Why are you still sitting there? Go grab a copy now! :)

*This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review* ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Jul 31, 2012 |
To Rebecca Royce. Thank you for the plot bunny that bred even more bunnies. You are amazing. I love you.

Acknowledgements:

Every book I write seems to take more and more out of me and therefore more and more people in my writing tribe.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you Lia Davis for being my writing partner, my sound board, my BFF, my...everything. You've been with me every step of the way and I couldn't have done anything without you.

Thank you Devin and Donna. You two are my new editing crew that are freaking amazing. Thank you for teaching me so much and dealing with me.

Thank you Scott for a cover so beautiful I freaking cried the first time I saw it because THIS IS MY COVER!

Thank you on Husband of mine for dealing with my grouchy moods when I had a tough time. Thanks for dealing with our kittens Miley and Maxie, and thank you for getting me a new "office" chair. I love you.

And finally, thank you to my readers. I am so blessed with you guys. You guys are amazing. The emails, Facebook comments, tweets, and notes make my day. It's because of you that I get to do this.

Thank you.
A summons from the council never led to good things.

Humans aren't as alone as they choose to believe. Every human possesses a trait of supernatural that lays dormant within their genetic make-up. Centuries of diluting and breeding have allowed humans to think they are alone and untouched by magic. But what happens when something changes?

Neat freak lab tech, Lily Banner lives her life as any ordinary human. She's dedicated to her work and loves to hang out with her friends at Dante's Circle, their local bar. When she discovers a strange blue dust at work she meets a handsome stranger holding secrets - and maybe her heart. But after a close call with a thunderstorm, she may not be as ordinary as she thinks.

Shade Griffin is a warrior angel sent to Earth to protect the supernaturals' secrets. One problem, he can't stop leaving dust in odd places around town. Now he has to find every ounce of his dust and keep the presence of the supernatural a secret. But after a close encounter with a sexy lab tech and a lightning quick connection, his millennia old loyalties may shift and he could lose more than just his wings in the chaos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,117,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible