The Golden Twine by Jo Rioux

The Golden Twine

by Jo Rioux

436267,810 (4)3

I do not really like Graphic Novels because I really do not know how to read them. This book by Jo Rioux was a good book that was about an orphan Suri. It had great art and it was a really nice story with an adventurous point of view. ( )
  cld505 | Oct 30, 2016 |
The Golden Twine by Jo Rioux is the first book in the Cat's Cradle graphic novel series. In it, Suri, a member of a traveling carnival, wants more than anything to be a monster tamer. When takes something valuable from the catsith (werecats), she must quickly prove herself as a monster tamer.

Rioux's panels have the rich colors of the reissued (colored) Bones books. Her characters fit into their setting and the world feels like a coherent place. By itself, The Golden Twine is a good adventure story with a strong female lead and interesting villains who are more than just evil.

As others have mentioned, the ebook version for review on NetGalley had some technical issues with incomplete lettering on some pages, making following the dialogue difficult in places. I would like to see it in its complete form someday. ( )
  pussreboots | Jan 6, 2015 |
Reason for Reading: Several reasons: the story sounded cute; I'm a fan of the publisher; and I'm always looking for new-to-me Canadian graphic novel authors/artists.

This is a fun children's story which I would recommend for about ages 7-12. I don't usually give an ending age but I don't think the story will hold the interest of those much older. I found the story cute but would not be likely to read much further. That said it will be a fun romp for the intended ages. The story starts off with the reader being plopped into a situation not knowing quite much as to what is going on, giving us a mysterious aura as we figure out who the bad guys are, what the monster is and Suri's intriguing character proves to be more complicated than she first appears. I did quite enjoy the illustrations and with the cat-theme carried over in the shape of the eyes of the characters. I also thought the mouse names of other characters to be clever as well, such as Suri, which is a play on the French word "souris" for "mouse". ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 28, 2013 |
I bought a copy of this book because the beautiful artwork intrigued me. It’s a fun little story that all ages can enjoy.

This is a magical story about a young girl who wants to be a monster hunter. She kind of gets what she asks for when she finds some magic twine and is pursued by a group of evil caitsith.

This is a fun read for all ages. This book just sets up the story and introduces the main character. Things are kind of just getting started when the story ends. Based on this initial book though, I really liked the magical world and the spunky young female heroine.

The artwork throughout is absolutely beautiful and I really enjoyed it. The drawings are very coloring with great detail and a pastel theme to them. The story is well done, although very short.

Overall this was a fun fantasy graphic novel appropriate for all ages, but aimed at middle grade and older. I enjoyed the beautiful artwork, the spunky heroine, and the monster infested magical world. This is just an intro to this world and story and was a bit too short, but I think this series has a lot of potential and am excited to see what Rioux comes up with next. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 9, 2013 |
Background: Suri is a young girl that was found all alone and began following a group of gypsys from clearing to clearing/ town to town. Until the day she finds herself befriending a monster, from then on she seems to have a friend in the strangest places.

Review: This graphic novel was beautiful. It had vivid colors and the story was captivating and fun. Suri is funny and how she handles herself if even better. The story line is focused on myths about monsters, and many people do believe that monsters still exist, so Suri is on a mission to become a great/ the greatest monster tamer around. I cannot wait to continue reading to see if she achieves her goals, and to follow her monster friend. ( )
  sszkutak | Nov 16, 2012 |

With monsters slipping through the mountains into the valley of Galatea, Suri, an orphan, dreams of becoming a monster tamer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible