Who Is J.K. Rowling? by Pam Pollack

Who Is J.K. Rowling?

by Pam Pollack

I'd use this book in a class of fourth or fifth graders and teach them how to pull the dates of her important events and put them in chronological order. We could read the book and then they could create a timeline and I could even cut out events and have them sort them in the order they occurred to help them connect what they read.
  kroby01 | Apr 4, 2017 |
This book would be great to use with fourth and fifth graders as an independent read based on more simplistic text use and can be used as an example of how to create and plan a timeline. Students can use this book for a project based on the creation of categorizing dates and events into a timeline including the main events and the more impactful events that took place in J.K. Rowling's life that got her to where she is now.
  apecaro01 | Apr 2, 2017 |
I would use this book as a part of a biography unit where 5th grade students choose a figure and read a biography. This book is perfect for a biography project because it has a lot of dates and information, it covers her personal life and professional life, and it also covers her life from the beginning to present, so it is complete. I would also use this book to teach 5th grade students how to make a timeline of someone’s life, and have them use it to pull dates and information to create a time line of her life. This book would be great for that because the text is rich in information and dates that students could easily pull out of the text.
  rstrohmeier | Apr 1, 2017 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I like how, although it is a chapter book, there are still images. The images represent what is happening in J.K. Rowling's life at the time, and they help to break up the book, instead of just having a constant stream of words. I also like the story that the book tells. It describes how J.K. Rowling went from rags to riches and how she came up with the idea of Harry Potter on a train ride. This is a side of the story that we rarely hear about, and it was fun to read about the author herself. The big idea in this story would be to never give up on your dreams and to keep pursuing what you want in life, because you never know when it might happen. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
I think that this is a great biography. I particularly like the fact that it is a transitional chapter book, with many illustrations throughout the book. There is at least one black and white, pencil-drawn illustration on each page, which helps to break up the text without taking away from the content or overwhelming the reader. Although this book gives a significant amount of information on J.K. Rowling’s life, I really like that it focuses on her career in regard to Harry Potter because this is probably the main interest of many children reading the biography. The language in this book is also perfect for the age and grade level. It is sophisticated, while still using simple sentences that children can read easily. I do think that this book could have contained a wider variety of text features, but of what it does contain, I specifically like the boxed off text that is placed intermittently throughout the book. Each box goes into greater detail about a portion of the text. For example, there are boxes describing each of the main characters of Harry Potter and a box giving more information on J.K. Rowling’s favorite author, Jane Austen. This broadens the scope of the book and provides readers with even more information. I also really like the timelines provided at the end of the book, comparing J.K. Rowling’s life with events happening in the world that are discussed throughout the book. The big idea of this book is to teach about J.K. Rowling.
  JessicaSparacino | Apr 12, 2016 |

Everyone loves Harry Potter. Now kids can learn about Harry's creator!

In 1995, on a four-hour-delayed train from Manchester to London, J. K. Rowling conceived of the idea of a boy wizard named Harry Potter. Upon arriving in London, she began immediately writing the first book in the saga. Rowling's true-life, rags-to-riches story is as compelling as the world of Hogwarts that she created. This biography details not only Rowling's life and her love of literature but the story behind the creation of a modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:27 -0400)

"In 1995, on a four-hour-delayed train from Manchester to London, J.K. Rowling conceived of the idea of a boy wizard named Harry Potter. Upon arriving in London, she began immediately writing the first book in the saga. Rowling's true-life, rags-to-riches story is as compelling as the world of Hogwarts that she created. This biography details not only Rowling's life and her love of literature but the story behind the creation of a modern classic"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible