Raven Flight by Juliet Marillier

Raven Flight

by Juliet Marillier

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
Normally, I love Juliet Marillier's books, but this one just felt slightly lacking, perhaps because it is the middle novel in the trilogy. I am still looking forward to the final book in spite of this one's failings. The times when the heroine, Neryn, was supposed to be experiencing revelations felt underwhelming. The storyline dragged on a bit at times as well. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 4, 2014 |
Another lovely installment in Marillier's series--although sections felt a little rushed, I still enjoyed this middle piece of Neryn's story, and I'm looking forward to book 3!
  LibraryGirl11 | Mar 3, 2014 |
Totally addicted and now I have to wait FOREVER for the next book:(

This 2nd in a series was even better than the first. I love that we get to learn a little bit more about peripheral characters and we meet more of the Folk. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
Enjoyable. Obviously intended for a young adult audience so quite short. I enjoyed Shadowfell more but will look forward to the conclusion next year. ( )
  infjsarah | Jul 28, 2013 |
With an accelerated timeline, Neryn is ready to seek out the four ancient Guardians of Alban to ask for their help in teaching her to become the best Caller she can be, in order to help the Rebel forces (and her friends) of Shadowfell to overthrow King Keldec. But the learning is not easy: Neryn struggles to come to terms with her power and influence, and can’t figure out where her feelings for Flint fit into this greater cause…if they can at all.

RAVEN FLIGHT was not as engaging for me as Shadowfell—but the thing is, they’re not all that different from one another. Neryn is still this can-do-no-wrong protagonist who, if not liked instantly by all she meets, at least can quickly win them over with her earnest naivete. The plot is straightforward quest involving long distances traveled and new characters met.

In RAVEN FLIGHT, we learn more about what exactly makes Keldec so evil. And boy is the man frightening! In one of the most riveting scenes in the story, Neryn is forced to witness Keldec’s cruelties to his subjects from front-row seats. This insight into Keldec’s rule is horrifying, yet really upped the stakes for me as a reader in cheering the painfully perfect Neryn on to success.

Unfortunately, perfection gets old, and Neryn’s personality grated on me a lot more in this installment than previously. I think I’m past the age when I can immerse myself in a protagonist who’s flawless—not in that put-together way, but in the one-girl-can-defeat-the-whole-world way. This is a straightforward fantasy geared, I think, more towards readers new to fantasy than to any others. ( )
  stephxsu | Jul 24, 2013 |
Toen de eenzame reiziger naderde, waaierden de vijf Handhavers zich over de breedte van het pad uit om hem de pas af te snijden.

"To rescue her homeland from tyranny, Neryn must seek out the powerful Guardians to complete her training as a Caller"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,784,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible