Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir by Eddie Huang

Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir

by Eddie Huang

Not very often am I hooked from the first line, but Eddie Huang did just that. This was definitely the most exciting, enticing, and hilarious memoir I've read this year. Eddie recounts his childhood as an American born Chinese and all the cultural differences between him and "normal" Americans. In this country it can be tough to be different; Eddie recounts the experiences bringing "stinky" Chinese food to school, getting in fights, relating to hip hop, and having to deal with stereotypes. Times were tough in high school and college, but he was an exceptional student so even though he got into a lot of trouble, teachers saw potential in him and helped him as much as they could. Although he finished law school he still wasn't happy; not until he opened up his own restaurant in New York did Eddie feel he made it and felt like a true American, living the dream.

Listening to the audiobook was a real treat, as it was narrated by the author himself. Eddie has a hilarious and yet serious narration of his memoir, plus has the ability to start yelling in Chinese when he's describing his mother (hilarious). This is a great book for everyone. There is stuff for foodies, hip hop aficionados, American minorities, sports fans, memoir junkies and more. Truly a great read! ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 26, 2013 |
At a first look this is a book about a loudmouthed man growing up in America, with a bunch of other loud men. But digging deeper, this is a story of boy coming of age in the 90's, the same time as me. Eddie Huang won me over with his pure love of hip-hop. YESSS!!!! I also remember the day Tupac died, the first time I heard The Chronic, Wu Tang Clan, and Bone Thugs, and listening to Digable Planets, Mos Def, and A Tribe Called Quest in my room late at night. His views on race and identity are interesting, his dialogues are hilarious, and I ended up tearing through this book in two days. ( )
  lisan. | Oct 4, 2013 |
Eddie has an interesting story to tell but I can't really relate to the culture. By that I mean the Hip Hop culture not the Chinese culture. He does recount some interesting misadventures but I didn't find it as humorous as I had expected.
I received my copy free in a Goodreads giveaway. ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
Pros:
* Food
* Hip Hop
* Basketball

Cons:
* The portion on BaoHaus is very short
* There is a definitive narrative style, which you either love or hate (I loved it).

In some ways this reminds me of [b:Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly|33313|Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly|Anthony Bourdain|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348988611s/33313.jpg|4219], which is funny because the time spent in the actual restaurant is the shortest part of the book. But it's the way that Huang talks about food, even from the first few sentences about soup dumplings you get that he loves food. The brash personality also draws Bourdain comparisons.

This memoir is really about the immigrant experience in America -- food is only a part of that. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this through Early Reviewers, and I am a horrible person as I completely forgot to post a review! I very much enjoyed this book. He is a really interesting guy. I liked that he talked to you like a person, that you knew what he was referencing and had a shared history of sorts. ( )
  Tmyers526 | Aug 30, 2013 |
"Can't get paid in a earth this big? You worthless kid." - Cam'ron "Yeah Yeah, I design these things and you know I'm in the hood like chinese wings." - Jadakiss "Don't be afraid, fight for it." - Dad
To Emery, who lived it, and Evan, who built it
"The soup dumplings are off today!" Grandpa said.

“Long before I met him, I was a fan of his writing, and his merciless wit. He’s bigger than food.”—Anthony Bourdain

Eddie Huang is the thirty-year-old proprietor of Baohaus—the hot East Village hangout where foodies, stoners, and students come to stuff their faces with delicious Taiwanese street food late into the night—and one of the food world’s brightest and most controversial young stars. But before he created the perfect home for himself in a small patch of downtown New York, Eddie wandered the American wilderness looking for a place to call his own.

Eddie grew up in theme-park America, on a could-be-anywhere cul-de-sac in suburban Orlando, raised by a wild family of FOB (“fresh off the boat”) hustlers and hysterics from Taiwan. While his father improbably launched a series of successful seafood and steak restaurants, Eddie burned his way through American culture, defying every “model minority” stereotype along the way. He obsessed over football, fought the all-American boys who called him a chink, partied like a gremlin, sold drugs with his crew, and idolized Tupac. His anchor through it all was food—from making Southern ribs with the Haitian cooks in his dad’s restaurant to preparing traditional meals in his mother’s kitchen to haunting the midnight markets of Taipei when he was shipped off to the homeland. After misadventures as an unlikely lawyer, street fashion renegade, and stand-up comic, Eddie finally threw everything he loved—past and present, family and food—into his own restaurant, bringing together a legacy stretching back to China and the shards of global culture he’d melded into his own identity.

Funny, raw, and moving, and told in an irrepressibly alive and original voice, Fresh Off the Boat recasts the immigrant’s story for the twenty-first century. It’s a story of food, family, and the forging of a new notion of what it means to be American.

Praise for Fresh Off the Boat

“Mercilessly funny and provocative, Fresh Off the Boat is also a serious piece of work—and an important one. Eddie Huang is hunting nothing less than Big Game here—a question, a conversation, an argument: Who are we? If somebody’s going to put a thumb in your eye, it should probably be Eddie Huang. He does everything with style.”—Anthony Bourdain

“Brash, leading-edge, and unapologetically hip, Huang reconfigures the popular foodie memoir into something worthwhile and very memorable.”—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:27 -0400)

A Taiwanese-American rebel restaurateur chronicles his rise to success from his difficult childhood in the American South to his decision to embrace all he had learned about food in his father's restaurants and his mother's kitchen to create his own culinary identity.… (more)

2 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fresh off the Boat by Eddie Huang was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,642,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible