Fly Away by Kristin Hannah

The sequel to Firefly Lane was a walk down memory lane. Tully Hart is not able to get over her grief after losing her best friend of over 30 years, Kate Ryan. Her life spins out of control. The rest of the Ryan family is not doing much better dealing with their grief. This story is sad, revealing how much one person influences the lives of others. It was not as wonderful as Firefly Lane, but a rewarding follow up to those who wanted to relive the lives of TullyandKate. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This is the sequel to Firefly Lane. It is 4 years later. Katie has died, and Tully has lost her job and her fame and is drinking heavily and taking Xanax for panic attacks. Johnny's eldest daughter, Marah, has run away from home at age 20 and he hasn't heard from her in a year. The families have not recovered from Katie's death and realize that she was the glue that held them all together.

It takes a life threatening accident that Tully has to bring the families back together and realize what they meant to each other. They start to mend old wounds and stitch their lives back together in Katie's absence, knowing this is what she would have wanted.

This was a pretty good book. I do like Kristen Hannah's writing, and Firefly lane was one of my favorite (yet soul crushing) books. I was excited to find this sequal in our local public library here in Switzerland, because I wasn't aware that there was one. I did roll my eyes a few times at the "love and hugs" sections near the end when everything worked out well. But for the most part, it was a well written story. I think a lot of it could be reality when a family loses their strongest family member and doesn't know what to do in their absence. What happens when all the well wishers have expected you to be over your grief, and moved on with your life, and you are not. You wouldn't want to think that your difficult teenage daughter would run away and basically be homeless because she couldn't deal with her mother's death, but the reality is - without good support, that could happen easily.

I say check it out. If you read Firefly Lane, you will love this book. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This book is heart breaking and underneath it all full of hope. ( )
  heatherdhahn | Feb 5, 2018 |
I absolutely love both Firefly Lane and Fly Away!! I wish that she would write a 3rd book. I am going to miss all of the characters! ( )
  mgwallace6285 | Mar 15, 2017 |
Even though this book is the sequel to Firefly Lane, I think it stands on its own. There are enough flashbacks that explain why everyone is the way they are and explains TullyandKate's relationship that you really don't need to read the first book. This book is about heartache. It's about how a family goes on when the cement of their foundation dies. It's about how a family doesn't know how to go on, how to help each other and how they fall apart. I'm sure it's a daily occurrence how a family falls apart when a Mom, Dad, sister or brother dies. How do you pick up the pieces and live without them. This book was timely for me as my best friend who is like a sister to me, my soul sister is sitting in the hospital waiting to find out what stage her cancer is. It reminds me of when I went through cancer treatment. How will I go on without her if it is incurable. How would my family go on if I had died. You think about this a lot when someone dies. This book is worth the read and any Kristin Hannah book is worth the read. That is why she is a top author for me if not my favorite. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Once, a long time ago, I walked down a night-darkened road called Firefly Lane, all alone, on the worst night of my life, and I found a kindred spirit. That was our beginning. More than thirty years ago. TullyandKate. You and me against the world. Best friends forever. But stories end, don’t they? You lose the people you love and you have to find a way to go on. . . .

Tully Hart has always been larger than life, a woman fueled by big dreams and driven by memories of a painful past. She thinks she can overcome anything until her best friend, Kate Ryan, dies. Tully tries to fulfill her deathbed promise to Kate---to be there for Kate’s children---but Tully knows nothing about family or motherhood or taking care of people.

Sixteen-year-old Marah Ryan is devastated by her mother’s death. Her father, Johnny, strives to hold the family together, but even with his best efforts, Marah becomes unreachable in her grief. Nothing and no one seems to matter to her . . . until she falls in love with a young man who makes her smile again and leads her into his dangerous, shadowy world.

Dorothy Hart---the woman who once called herself Cloud---is at the center of Tully’s tragic past. She repeatedly abandoned her daughter, Tully, as a child, but now she comes back, drawn to her daughter’s side at a time when Tully is most alone. At long last, Dorothy must face her darkest fear: Only by revealing the ugly secrets of her past can she hope to become the mother her daughter needs.

A single, tragic choice and a middle-of-the-night phone call will bring these women together and set them on a poignant, powerful journey of redemption. Each has lost her way, and they will need each one another---and maybe a miracle---to transform their lives.

An emotionally complex, heart-wrenching novel about love, motherhood, loss, and new beginnings, Fly Away reminds us that where there is life, there is hope, and where there is love, there is forgiveness. Told with her trademark powerful storytelling and illuminating prose, Kristin Hannah reveals why she is one of the most beloved writers of our day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:36 -0400)

A follow-up to Firefly Lane returns readers to the world of Tully, Kate, and Tully's mother, who explore their understandings about love, family, loss, and redemption while turning to each other in the hopes of salvaging their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,570,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible