Charade (Games, #1) by Nyrae Dawn

Charade (Games, #1)

by Nyrae Dawn

1342089,677 (3.84)None

English (19)  Czech (1)  All (20)
Luego de la terrible decepción que fue "What a boy wants" decidí darle una segunda oportunidad a Nyrae Dawn y leer este libro, sinceramente: me arrepiento. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
This wasn't what I thought it would be at all. The two main characters have some major issues, but the story is AMAZING. I cried at the end. Highly recommend! ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
I really did not want to give this book a 1-star rating. More than that, I badly wanted to like this book. I'm a sucker for pretend-relationship settings, and I had been looking forward to reading this for quite a while (especially with all the great reviews). Alas, it appears the book is not for me.

I wasn't able to get into the story at all right from the get go. In the beginning, I think it was the writing style and how the characters were portrayed. I felt like everything was a bit too over-the-top, too obvious, the descriptions of emotions too shoved-in-my-face. It came too much too fast, repeatedly, and way before I could even begin to care about the characters or know anything about them. Perhaps it's because of this that I ended up feeling like all those intense emotions in the beginning were all overly dramatic.

The characters' back stories were delved into a bit more later on, but by then, it was too late and too little to make me care. I know I'm saying "too" a lot, but that's what this book was like for me. It was "too" everything, including the extra bit of drama that popped out of nowhere in the end. Contrived, I think, is the word I would use to describe a large chunk of this book - and this applies to the plot, the characters, the dialogue, the execution, and the writing.

There were also a lot of problems with basic editing issues like grammar and spelling. I normally don't bother talking about this, because I can stomach quite a bit of mistakes (I read a lot of badly-written fanfiction) and it generally doesn't bug me too much unless it detracts from the story. And in this case, there was a significant amount of mistakes and repetition that got to me on top of my already very lukewarm opinion of the story.

I kept plowing forward in hopes that the book would get better, but by the end, it simply took a sharp nosedive with unnecessary drama that made me care even less and finally pushed me into the realm of outright frustration and dislike for the book. From all the sparkly reviews, I guess I'm in the minority here though. ( )
  colorwalk | Oct 6, 2015 |
Pretty good book with a somewhat predictable plot and ending. I really enjoyed seeing Colt and Chey build their relationship and how things went for them. The ending was heartbreaking sad and awfully sweet too. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible