Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

Words of Radiance

by Brandon Sanderson, Julius Gopez (Illustrator), Rik Hoskin (Author)

Series: The Stormlight Archive (Book 2), Cosmere (10)

This is officially my favorite read of the year! This was so good, and is an excellent pay-off after all of the questions that I had when finishing the first book. I NEED Oathbringer right now!!!

I LOVED learning more about the various Orders of the Knights Radiant. I found them completely fascinating, and it was nice to see that I apparently did a good job when piecing things together in TWoK.

Surgebinding is officially my favorite magic system. Period.

I'm so proud of my main boy Kaladin! He's still my favorite character.

Jasnah Kholin is a feminist boss lady and I love her.

My baby Renarin! Gah.

Shallan and Adolin both grew on me in this book, though I still disapprove of some of their decisions. ( )
  ReadandFindOut | Sep 25, 2017 |
Oh, wow. What do I say about this book? It's brilliant. Just go and read it.

Also, Kaladin x Shallan. ( )
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |
I think I can avoid any big spoilers for Way of Kings but there might be a few little ones here and there, so it might be best to have read that first!
If you've been following me for a while you are probably aware that Brandon Sanderson is my favourite fantasy author probably ever. I think he is the fantasy writer of our time and this book just made that even more obvious. If you've not read The Way of Kings go do that. Right now. Yes, it's over a thousand pages, yes, that's daunting. But it's worth it, I promise. This book, at also over a thousand pages, is even longer. But, you know, the beauty of this series and Sanderson's writing is that it never feels like you're slogging through a huge tome.
Words of Radiance starts with no backtracking, so a refresher of WoK is actually kind of necessary (I reread it completely and I'm glad I did because there were a number of things that had slipped my memory in the four years that have past since it was released). If WoK was Kaladin's book with Kaladin's backstory, then this one is Shallan's. Interspersed between the current time chapters are chapters that take place in Shallan's past and her story is tragic. Sanderson's female characters are some of my favourites. Especially because, while I catch a lot of personality similarities with his male characters (Kelsier and Kaladin are very similar and I think it's on purpose and it's driving me crazy that I don't know for certain) each of his female characters are incredibly distinct from each other. Shallan is one of my favourites. She's intelligent and a scholar and very clever all while hiding an incredibly dark past. Her story trails from leaving the city with Jasnah for the Shattered Plains to her arrival there. Her time is spent involving herself in both politics and the darker group that her family was involved with, the Ghostbloods. Also she has a spren now too and he's darling I love him a lot.
Kaladin, my dear Kaladin, this series is actually subtitled 'Kaladin tries really hard but inevitably everything fails for him.' At the end of WoK Kaladin and his bridge are freed and made part of Dalinar's honour guard. Which is great! Except Kaladin is a dark eyed Captain with a chip on his shoulder and he gets in trouble a lot. My poor dear gets himself in so much trouble.
Dalinar's visions continue to trouble him and Adolin becomes more adept at not messing everything up and so much happens in this book that I can't very well trail you through each character's plots.
I can say that Adolin and Shallan's casual betrothal is my favourite thing and also there is the beginnings of a love triangle here and I am ALL FOR IT (because this is Sanderson so he'll handle it with grace). Every scene with Kaladin, Shallan, and Adolin is a gift they are such GREAT CHARACTERS and having them play off of one another is amazing.
Which makes the dialogue in this book my favourite part. I adored it. It was never stiff and jilted like High Fantasy dialogue can get. There are scenes between Kaladin and Shallan that rank very high on my list of 'favourite scenes in anything ever' (Kaladin and Shallan get trapped in the chasms together and sNARK THE ENTIRE TIME). There are puns! Word play! Snappy politicking! It is a delight to read.
The greater plot of the series, that of the Everstorm and the Voidbringers and the Knight's Radiant—a lot of that begins to be explained, but, of course, there are eight more books so ultimately we are left with even more questions than answers. But I so adore the world building that is being done here. I want to see more of this vast world (and we do see a good bit of it, though almost the whole book takes place out on the Shattered Plains). We get a Parshendi POV for a few interludes and a few new interlude characters are introduced.
What really got me at the end, though, was the connection between this series and Warbreaker (I'm not going to say what, but I did jump out of my chair and grab Warbreaker to make sure I was right. I was.) I want to know what's going on with the Cosmere and how this is all connecting because it's becoming more and more obvious that everything is connecting (are Kaladin and Kelsier supposed to be LITERAL PARALLELS? I don't think they really are but they ARE very similar, the chapter intros that sound like they're coming from some other series, all of it. I have so many questions). This series is just so obviously vast and that's my favourite part of it. They're incredibly easy to read and they have mind blowingly good world building and phenomenal characters. They just make me so excited because this is how high fantasy should be this is how it's supposed to be.
5/5. All stars every star everything ever to this series. This is one of my top books of 2014. I can't wait until Book 3. I never want this series to end I want to live in it forever.
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
This book is why I read books and often why I am disappointed. Very few match the world built, the plot and action of this book. Already pre-ordered book three and can't wait till November. ( )
  OracleinShadows | Aug 30, 2017 |
*Some mild spoilers*
I gave "The Way of Kings" 5 stars, and this is just as good. I took a notch off the last star because, all in all, not that much happens in this lengthy novel(sill very fun and interesting to read obviously, but the story does not move as far as we'd think it would in 1300 pages) Also, one of the thing I really liked in the first novel isn't present for long in this one. That is, characters that are in different parts of the realm, it's only shortly present here while Shallan makes her way to the Shattered Plains, but after that, and the characters are all in the same area, not as fun as I would have loved to be able to read more about other cities like where Shallan was in the first book.

The gripping story goes on and much is revealed, yet much still isn't. Awesome storytelling. I REALLY love Wit. That guy needs a book dedicated to his travels :P

The interludes had very interesting chapters.

The only chapters I found mildly boring were the flashbacks for Shallan. Same as in book 1 with Kaladin's flashbacks chapters, I found that it went on for a tad too long.

Oh, and while it's 1300pages long(Mass-market format) there isn't ANY endless room description, or lengthy wilderness description, or inanely boring clothing description. NONE! When there is a description of something, it's short and to the point. YES!!! Thus, it's only filled with storytelling goodness!

Some quick notes: *MAJOR SPOLIERS to some, Read at your own risk *

Got goosebumps when Kaladin spoke the words and became a full Radiant. I mean, we saw it coming from a mile, and still it gave me goosebumps. The guy(Petterson) knows how to write.

I think Dalinar got it too easy though as far as becoming a Radiant.
Dalinar: "To lead them I need to be one of them, so change me"
Stormfather: "uh, I don't like you, but ok.

Went "shit, no" at what Adolin did at the end.

Not sure I like that Herald of Justice much... I don't see how he could have been an Herald with a minding like that. Unless breaking the oath and the death of the bossman broke him inside eventually. Not sure why the other Heralds let him do what he does though.(yeah, there not supposed to seek each other out, but it's almost impossible that they do not know what he's doing) ( )
  kinwolf | Aug 28, 2017 |

Reading, KateNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Oliver Sanderson,
Who was born during the middle of the writing of this book, and was walking by the time it was done.
Jasnah Kholin pretended to enjoy the party, giving no indication that she intended to have one of the guests killed.

The war with the Parshendi moves into a new, dangerous phase, as Dalinar leads the human armies deep into the heart of the Shattered Plains. Meanwhile Shallan searches for the legendary city of Urithuru, and Kaladin, leader of the restored Knights Radiant, masters the powers of a Windrunner.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,540,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible