A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace…

A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin

by Jen Bryant

A Splash of Red is the story of Horace Pippin. He was a child in the late 1800's and was a self taught artist. He went through a very humble beginning and had to overcome many obstacles in order to do what he enjoyed. I can definitely see why this book won an award.
  Enessa | Dec 7, 2014 |
I have been a big fan of Pippin's work sense I studied him in an art class my freshman year of college, so to find out there is a children's book written about him, I had to check it out, and I was not disappointed. this is a beautiful story about a young man that loved to paint and about the adversity he faced throughout his career because of his race, war, and physical disability. I love that Pippin's story is about not giving up something you love because someone tells you can't do it, and that is a lesson I to want teach all of my students. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Horace loved art. He drew all types of drawings. Horace had an injury on his dominant arm and wasn't able to paint or do art. He eventually gained strength back into his arm and was able to continue his art. I thought this story was great. Horace loved art and he over came a horrible injury. He showed me not to ever give up and to keep fighting. I think this book would be a great message for children. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Nov 24, 2014 |
This is my first time learning about Horace Pippin which forced me to do some research away from the book. He is an amazing artist who I would love to learn some more about.
  alexanderkai | Nov 21, 2014 |
The book is very interesting, and seems accurate when compared with the additional notes in the back of the book. I think the author stayed fairly true to the story. It is fact-based, and doesn’t leave a lot of room for opinions from the author. Most lines with a hint of opinion come from how people felt about his artwork and success. The bibliography, author’s notes, and resources lists are all valuable tools for someone to delve deeper into the life of Horace. They are also fantastic resources for further exploration in the classroom! ( )
  ekrynen | Nov 11, 2014 |

As a child in the late 1800s, Horace Pippin loved to draw: He loved the feel of the charcoal as it slid across the floor. He loved looking at something in the room and making it come alive again in front of him. He drew pictures for his sisters, his classmates, his co-workers. Even during W.W.I, Horace filled his notebooks with drawings from the trenches . . . until he was shot. Upon his return home, Horace couldn't lift his right arm, and couldn't make any art. Slowly, with lots of practice, he regained use of his arm, until once again, he was able to paint--and paint, and paint! Soon, people—including the famous painter N. C. Wyeth—started noticing Horace's art, and before long, his paintings were displayed in galleries and museums across the country.

Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet team up once again to share this inspiring story of a self-taught painter from humble beginnings who despite many obstacles, was ultimately able to do what he loved, and be recognized for who he was: an artist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:52 -0400)

Presents an illustrated introduction to the life and work of artist Horace Pippin, describing his childhood love for drawing and the World War I injury that challenged his career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,374,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible