A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace…

A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin

by Jen Bryant

will use to discuss overcoming hardship and for art as well. looking at the illustrations etc.
  nalapow | Apr 22, 2015 |
I gave this book 5 stars for the story and watercolor illustrations. I plan to purchase this book for my personal classroom library. You can incorporate this book in your classroom in multiple ways. I would read ht ebook and talk about the undertones of overcoming hardship. I would also talk about the color scheme and artistic technique. Then I would do some sort of an art project that incorporated what I learned. Awesome book!!!!!! ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
A Splash of Red was one of my favorite information books that I have read this term and it would be a great addition to any personal or classroom selection. This book depicts the life of Horace Pippen, a famous self-taught painter that has faced much adversity in his life. The story begins with Horace as a child and shows his father leaving his family and Horace having to join the workforce to support his family. He then enrolls in the military and leaves to fight in WW1. During this time, he is shot in the shoulder and looses movement of his right arm. When Horace returns, his interest in art returns as well and Horace re-learns to paint beautiful pictures and is eventually recognized by the art community. I think this is a great book because it gave a wonderful description of a great artist. This is important because I feel like many schools and classroom fails to give students enough time exploring art and famous artists. Not only is this book great for starting discussions about great art and artist, because it also allows reader to dig into deeper more sensitive issues such as family problems and even the effects of violence and war.
  laineyh | Mar 15, 2015 |
really liked this ( )
  lustig | Mar 14, 2015 |
A Splash of Red follows the life and work of artist Horace Pippin. I like that the book followed him through all his ups and down in his life until he truly made it. They author went into great detail of his life and all the things he did so the reader feels like truly know Horace. It talked about his life as a child and love of drawing, his families struggles so he quit school to help, he grew up and still loved drawing, he went into war where he was shot and loss strength in his hand, but his determination helped him carry on and learn to draw again.
This book is great for aspiring art students who feel like they don't have the materials or talent to do it. But following Horace's life and his struggles and success is something to admire in him. This would be a great book to read to an art class, or before doing a study of famous artists. The illustrator studied and researched Horace to give homage to him in her own work. This is also something to get art students to look at and how they can be inspired by other artists work. ( )
  crieder95 | Mar 12, 2015 |

As a child in the late 1800s, Horace Pippin loved to draw: He loved the feel of the charcoal as it slid across the floor. He loved looking at something in the room and making it come alive again in front of him. He drew pictures for his sisters, his classmates, his co-workers. Even during W.W.I, Horace filled his notebooks with drawings from the trenches . . . until he was shot. Upon his return home, Horace couldn't lift his right arm, and couldn't make any art. Slowly, with lots of practice, he regained use of his arm, until once again, he was able to paint--and paint, and paint! Soon, people—including the famous painter N. C. Wyeth—started noticing Horace's art, and before long, his paintings were displayed in galleries and museums across the country.

Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet team up once again to share this inspiring story of a self-taught painter from humble beginnings who despite many obstacles, was ultimately able to do what he loved, and be recognized for who he was: an artist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:52 -0400)

Presents an illustrated introduction to the life and work of artist Horace Pippin, describing his childhood love for drawing and the World War I injury that challenged his career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,713,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible