A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace…

A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin

by Jen Bryant

Genre: Biography

How I would use this book:
1. I would have my students compare Pippin's life to another artists life.
2. After comparing the lives of two artist, I would have students talk about how the artist's lives or life experiences influenced their art.

Summary:
This book talks about the life of Horace Pippin. It also talks about how Pippins passion for art began and how his life struggles affected his ability to paint. The book end by talking about how Pippins art was noticed and shared with the country.

Media: Watercolor, gouache, collage

Critique: "A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin" is a good example of a biography because it presents accurate facts about Horace Pippin. The author includes a bibliography at the end of the book. ( )
  DaliaL. | Mar 18, 2016 |
This book tells the great story of Horace Pippin, an African American painter who I didn’t know about. Pippin is an excellent role model for any children in the pursue of an artistic dream, and whose acquired disability after WWII wasn’t an impediment to fulfill his dreams. Melissa’s illustrations are colorful and full of texture and emotional content, like the life and artwork of Pippin.
  Jlporrata75 | Mar 7, 2016 |
Great story about the life of a painter! I love how it tells his struggles and how it shows that he persevered through it because of his love for painting! Great biography to use in the classroom.

#biography
#HoracePippin
#painter ( )
  kgilpin | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book because it was based on someones life. When you get to read about someones life that you have never met before it is almost like you have and you know them. In one part of the book that really stood out to me was "here and there, he added a splash of red." Right here in this part he was painting a picture about the war with all dull colors but every now and then added that red since it was a big part in what he saw. Another thing that I enjoyed about this book was the illustrations since they used lots of colors and it was just not one thing on the page. On one of the pages it showed a whole bunch of art supplies and pictures almost like it was a desk. The message of this story was to never give up on something that you enjoy no matter what happens. ( )
  escalc1 | Feb 24, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because although it is a set of facts about Horace Pippin, it is set up with a plot and reads like a story. It starts with introducing Horace's character, then introduces his artistic talent. He is then sent to war and forgets about pursuing his artistic dreams. He comes home from war and tries to work hard labor jobs but it is difficult with his war injuries. He tries to make art again and relives his childhood dreams of pursuing art. Forty years later, Horace becomes famous and makes money from his art. The use of main conflict (his war injuries preventing him from working) and a resolution made this book easy to read. In the span of a single person's life, there are many conflicts and resolutions, so I liked the authors choice to include one main conflict and focusing on the effects of it. There were not too many words on a page and the paragraphs were broken up by pictures that told their own story. Many of the illustrations included words as well as realistic look childish drawings, which reinforced the realistic aspect of the biography of Horace Pippin. The big idea of this text is to not give up on your dream and to always do what you love. Horace's life fell into place because, even though life got him off course from his art work, he still continued to do what he loved. In the end, he was very successful ( )
  mwilli62 | Feb 15, 2016 |

Presents an illustrated introduction to the life and work of artist Horace Pippin, describing his childhood love for drawing and the World War I injury that challenged his career.

As a child in the late 1800s, Horace Pippin loved to draw: He loved the feel of the charcoal as it slid across the floor. He loved looking at something in the room and making it come alive again in front of him. He drew pictures for his sisters, his classmates, his co-workers. Even during W.W.I, Horace filled his notebooks with drawings from the trenches . . . until he was shot. Upon his return home, Horace couldn't lift his right arm, and couldn't make any art. Slowly, with lots of practice, he regained use of his arm, until once again, he was able to paint--and paint, and paint! Soon, people—including the famous painter N. C. Wyeth—started noticing Horace's art, and before long, his paintings were displayed in galleries and museums across the country.

Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet team up once again to share this inspiring story of a self-taught painter from humble beginnings who despite many obstacles, was ultimately able to do what he loved, and be recognized for who he was: an artist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:54 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible