Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse by Leo…

Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse (1969)

by Leo Lionni

2,043923,269 ()2

In my opinion, this is a wonderful book for children around the second grade. There are a few reasons why I really liked the book. A major reason was the characters. The two main characters in the book were Alexander, a live mouse, and Willy, a wind-up mouse. Though there is not much time for character development the author brought both characters to life and gave them strong personalities. As the plot developed, so did the characters. There was a clear conflict in the plot because each of the mice wanted to live the other’s life and there is tension when at the end of the story when given the opportunity to change himself into a wind-up mouse, he decides to let Willy become a real mouse. The book has a good lesson for children and forces them to think about times when they should put others before themselves. It is engaging for children because of both the plot and the illustrations that are simple, but appropriate for the story. The story gives children an insight to the common belief that the grass is always greener on the other side, but also teaches them to put others before themselves. ( )
  agates5 | Feb 10, 2015 |
I liked this book for many reasons, but it did not fulfill all of the things I wish it did. The book is based around the theme of putting yourself before others. By going to a magic animal in the garden with a purple stone, Alexander turns his friend, a wind up mouse, into a real mouse instead of turning himself into a wind up mouse. Alexander wants to be loved by the humans like the wind up mouse but decides to use his wish on his friend. The book is imaginative and the language is simple. The illustrations help the book along and describe the actions in the book well with its play with textured overlaying qualities. The plot is easy to follow and transitions well. The book describes each character in detail and has the pictures enhance the images in the readers head. ( )
  cscapp1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I liked this book because it was a good story that taught to see things through another pair of eyes. It was good to be able to see life from the mouse’s point of view like his feelings being hurt because none of the humans that lived there liked him. It was also a good way to show friendship and doing things for others. Although the mice were two separate creatures (a real mouse and a toy mouse), they could still be good friends. Also at the end when Alexander gave up being a toy mouse to save Willy, this showed selflessness and doing things for others. The pictures were very good and showed a lot of colors. The words were at the appropriate level for the children to understand and the general messgaes of the story were clear to find. ( )
  evandy1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because I think it was an interesting concept- a real mouse who befriends a toy mouse and the adventures that they have- but I thought it was a bit of a boring read. The illustrations went along nicely with the writing, but neither the pictures nor the actual story held my interest very well. I think the language could have been more descriptive. My favorite part about this book was the main message, which is that friendship is the most important thing. Alexander gets the opportunity to turn himself into a wind up mouse but, after seeing the wind up mouse ready to be discarded with other old toys, he uses his wish to turn the wind up mouse into a real mouse just like him. ( )
  ehopki7 | Feb 7, 2015 |
I liked some parts of the book, but there were others I did not like. I did not like how the beginning of the story was a bit confusing. I was unsure who was narrating the story and when the book said they, who the story was talking about. I feel if the story had a better introduction it would have cleared the confusion and made the story better. However, I liked the book because towards the middle the plot was great and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened to Alex and Willy. I liked Alexander as the main character, he was very cute which grabbed my attention and would likely grab the attention of young readers. The central message of the story was that Alexander wanted to be someone else, but then he realized he was happy with himself and helped a friend instead. This is a great lesson for young children to see, showing them they should be happy with themselves and want to help others.
  sfinke5 | Feb 5, 2015 |
"Help! Help! A mouse!" There was a scream. Then a crash.
Amazon has mistakenly listed ISBN 0395459885 as Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.

This classic 'grass is always greener' story in which a live mouse is envious of his mechanical counterpart. Ages 4-8

Everyone loves Willy the wind-up mouse, while Alexander the real mouse is chased away with brooms and mousetraps. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be loved and cuddled, thinks Alexander, and he wishes he could be a wind-up mouse too. In this gentle fable about a real mouse and a mechanical mouse, Leo Lionni explores the magic of friendship.

Originally published in 1969, the Caldecott Honor-winning Alexander and the Wind-up Mouse is sure to enchant a whole new generation of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Alexander, a real mouse, wants to be a toy mouse like his friend Willy until he discovers Willy is to be thrown away.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,683,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible