The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The…

The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook

by King Arthur Flour

This is easily my favorite cookie (and brownie, biscotti, etc.) book.

There are a ton of wonderful recipes, with lots of variations, and there is an absolute ton of general baking information that you can use in all kinds of baking. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is easily my favorite cookie (and brownie, biscotti, etc.) book.

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a fascinating cookbook to read, although with over 400 recipes eventually I was tired of all the variations and varieties. However, I do admit that is not really the point as a cookbook is to cook from, not to read, and chances are, if you are looking for any type of cookie, you will find what you want here. I especially was intrigued by the King Arthur approach to the essential American cookies, which offered recipes to encompass every taste from Chewy to Crisp and in-between; including Chocolate Chip, Sugar Cookies, Brownies, and Biscotti (although the variations on that cookie ran between Italian and American styles). Frankly, I probably will never care enough to make their version of Oreos or Whoopie Pies (that is what grocery stores are for in my estimation), but those sorts of recipes are included too for the avid do-it-yourselfer.

This definitely is a great resource book also as it has all sorts of charts, tips and "how-to's" scattered throughout the pages. For instance, we used their staggered pan layout for making chocolate chip cookies to fit more on the sheet ... and it worked like a charm. Now, why didn't I think of that? Helpful illustrations walk the reader through techniques that may be difficult to understand from the written word alone. An ending section on ingredients not only has all the basic information but answers questions such as "What's the difference between an extract, an oil, and a flavor?" or "What if I run out of baking powder?"

So the bottom line is, do I like this cookbook enough to buy it? Yes. In fact, I did buy it. I am going to work my way through all the variations of the essential cookies and the tips and hints are practical enough to make this book a worthwhile investment. ( )
  julied | Oct 14, 2008 |
This is not the only cookie book I own, but it's always the first one I consult when I want to start baking. There are all types of cookies in this book, from simple to elaborate and from familiar to exotic. I really like the way it is organized. There are several different variations of several types of standard cookies (chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal, etc.) and there are other sections for bar cookies, drop cookies, shaped cookies, etc. Not only are the recipes great (I never had one fail.) but if you use the book regularly, you will find yourself transformed from a "recipe follower" to an independent baker in your own right. ( )
1 vote alane.tentoni | May 12, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0881506591, Hardcover)

Americans spend over $550 million annually on Oreos, some indication of our cookie infatuation. Meeting that passion head-on, The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion offers 400-plus recipes for almost every cookie under the sun--from traditional favorites like oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies (13 recipes including the soft and crisp kinds, plus 11 variations, such a Orange-Pistachio Milk Chocolate Chippers); to global treats like shortbread, tuiles, springerle, and biscotti; to all kinds of bars and soft bites such as brownies, Whoopie Pies, and Hot and Sweet Ginger Squares.

The Cookie Companion is in the King Arthur tradition, which means that it's a teaching cookbook--one overflowing with tips, pointers, lore, and other compelling information. Thus, for example, the introduction to Special Roll-Out Sugar Cookies informs readers that thorough dough-rolling creates thin, snapping-crisp cookies, but roll the dough a bit thicker, and "you’ve got crunchy." Their no-detail-too-small introductory basics are greatly aided by the tour-de-force illustrations of Laura Hartman Maestro. For example, a box on bar-cookie cutting shows readers the five basic size configurations, depending on pan dimensions. Bakers who have routinely paused, knife in hand, before a pan of just-baked brownies, trying to decide how to end up with, say, 24 large squares, won't, following the illustrations, do so again. A section on cookie decoration is equally definitive, as is a final chapter on ingredients, which offers, for example, a full discussion of sugars, plus asides like "Is Splenda the Answer to Low-Calorie Baking" (maybe) and "Can I Substitute a Liquid Sweetener for a Dry One to Make My Cookies Sifter?" (sometimes, but never measurement for measurement).

With "Create-a-Cookie," a section that focuses on manipulating basic dough mixtures to make checkerboard and pinwheel cookies among others; recipes for glazes, icings, dips and finishes; illustrated equipment profiles; plus color photos that depict the cookies in all their edible glory, the book is, simply, a must-have for cookie bakers everywhere. --Arthur Boehm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:16 -0400)

Offers a variety of traditional cookie recipes including chocolate chip, oatmeal, , biscotti, and sugar with variations to bring new life to these old favorites and includes tips on ingredients and techniques.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible