Sweet Mercy by Ann Tatlock

Sweet Mercy

by Ann Tatlock

I read this book in a few hours because I literally couldn't put it down. From the moment I started this book I was hooked and to be honest I can't tell you why. I loved the authors writing and how she makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. She doesn't give too much detail but she gives enough so that you can feel like you are there with the characters. I have never read another book from the this time period so I was intrigued and interested to see what life was like for people during that time. The book takes place during prohibition in the 1930's. You follow along with Eve and her parents as her dad gets laid off and they move to the town of Mercy to live with her uncle who owns a lodge. I am not going to get into what happens while they are there because that will give away the story. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Silly waste of time. ( )
  bigorangecat | Nov 14, 2013 |
Eve Marryat is tired of living in the city of St. Paul, Minnesota. She's tired of all the crime happening around her and longs for a place that is peaceful and filled with good, honest people. When Eve's dad looses his job at the Ford Motor Company in 1931 and decides to move his family to Ohio, Eve is pretty excited about the change. But what Eve doesn't know is that trouble is brewing even in the places that seem to be safe.

This story takes place during the Great Depression and the age of Prohibition. This is a period of time that I haven't read too much about. Even seemingly good people were selling illegal liquor to make money and keep their family alive. Eve, being seventeen, has a lot to learn about human nature and it's bent toward sin. She has great ideals, but quickly realizes that not everyone upholds the law. Many times the sin seems like an easy way out, but in the end it only compounds the misery.
I enjoyed reading this story. The author even includes Al Capone in the story. I can't imagine growing up in such a difficult time period. If you're looking for a great story depicting how the Great Depression and Prohibition affected the people of that age, pick up Sweet Mercy by Ann Tatlock.

***I received this free book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Aug 26, 2013 |
This was an enjoyable read about idealistic, teen-aged, Eve, growing up during Prohibition and the days of Al Capone. When her father loses his job, the family packs up and moves with relatives at their family-run lodge in Ohio. While Eve is anxious to escape the crime in Minnesota, Mercy, Ohio isn't quite as innocent as it first appears. Its a quick, easy read that would appeal to most readers. I look forward to reading other books by Ann Tatlock.

I received a free copy of Sweet Mercy from Goodreads Firstreads. ( )
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |
Set during the Great Depression and Prohibition Ann Tatlock has written another captivating novel! This is Eve's story of a summer like never before, things happen that no child should ever be involved. Eve is now a grandmother and is telling her grandson what went on in that abandoned lodge.

Eve had a job working at her uncle's resort, during that summer she learns things about him that will forever change her. She becomes involved in illegal activity and finds the law isn't always what's right.

Tatlock writes a great novel, she brings her characters to life and you feel their emotions. I really enjoyed this story! I've read all of the author's books and look forward to each new one! 5 stars from me!

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JoyAnne | May 11, 2013 |

Stunning New Novel from Award-Winning Author

When Eve Marryat's father is laid off from the Ford Motor Company in 1931, he is forced to support his family by leaving St. Paul, Minnesota, and moving back to his Ohio roots. Eve's uncle Cyrus has invited the family to live and work at his Marryat Island Ballroom and Lodge.

St. Paul seemed like a haven for gangsters, and Eve had grown fearful of living there. At seventeen, she considers her family to be "good people." They aren't lawbreakers and criminals like so many people in her old neighborhood. Thrilled to be moving to a "safe haven," Eve is blissfully unaware that her uncle's lodge is a transfer station for illegal liquor smuggled from Canada.

Eve settles in to work and makes new friends, including an enigmatic but affecting young man. But when the reality of her situation finally becomes clear, Eve is faced with a dilemma. How can she ignore what is happening right under their very noses? Yet can she risk everything by condemning the man whose love and generosity is keeping her and her family from ruin?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:39 -0400)

"When Eve discovers her uncle's bootlegging operation, she knows it's against Prohibition law. But can she really condemn the only thing supporting her family?"--Provided by publisher.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible