Emma's Secret: A Novel by Steena Holmes

Emma's Secret: A Novel

by Steena Holmes

Often I find a sequel to be more satisfying than the original book, and it is true in this case. Megan and her family are reunited with Emma, who only remembers them a little, and who is very attached to the "Grandpa" who helped raise her the past two years. Megan has to grapple with the messy feelings she has about what has happened to Emma, and her desire to keep her safe. Her family has difficulty adjusting, as do both Megan and Emma, and it reflects the messy reality that would really happen in such a situation. ( )
  lynetterl | Aug 5, 2015 |
A follow-up to Finding Emma - this is a wonderful read. I do recommend that you read these two books in order.

Emma had been kidnapped from her front yard two years ago and now the searching is over – Emma is home. She had been living only 20 minutes away on a farm with an older couple. Emma had been happy and well cared for – truly loved by this couple, Jack and Dottie. Now that she was home, Emma needed time to adjust and accept the changes with her family.

After two years of searching, Megan just wanted her daughter back, and for Emma to be the same little girl she was before the kidnapping. Megan wanted to totally erase the last two years that Megan was missing, and just couldn’t get beyond her anger.

Megan and Peter assumed their marriage would be healed with Emma being home, but tension develops, as a lot of obstacles are faced. She is afraid that Peter will walk away from their marriage - and the story unfolds ---.

My favorite character is Jack, who is portrayed with such warmth, depth and emotion. There were several scenes between Emmie and Jack that just warmed my heart. Jack missed Emmie more than he thought possible. The house was empty without her, and now Dottie was gone. He was completely alone. The sadness ate at Jack both day and night.

The author wrote in a vivid way, portraying the inner thoughts of all the characters. There were so many emotions – sadness, heartbreak, grief, fear, and regrets. This is a sequel that I highly recommend – a powerful read. 5 stars. ( )
  wrbinpa | Jun 2, 2014 |
A very good follow-up in the Emma series. Now that 5 yo Emma is back home after 2 years of being abducted, everything will be fine, right? Well not quite. The birth family and the grandfather who unknowingly cared for Emma is fractured. What will it take to heal? ( )
  nancynova | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is the second book in a series following FINDING EMMA. You need to read the first book before reading this one. Emma was kidnapped at three years old and gone from her family for two years. She was treated as a grandchild by another couple. This is the story of her becoming part of her family again. The book was good but there were a lot of flaws in it. I did not like the mother, Megan in this book. I felt like she was more concerned with her feelings than with Emma;s or her other daughters or her husband's and she was very selfish. I finished the book and was happy with the outcome and was glad that I read the books back to back but just didn't think that this was a well written book. ( )
  susan0316 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I must be a much harsher critic than other readers. This is the follow-up to "Finding Emma". The author revisits this family's story once their daughter has been returned home. I thought the characterizations rang even more false than the first one. No more books by this author. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Jul 27, 2013 |

Steena Holmes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible