Plow the Bones (Apex Voices) (Volume 1) by…

Plow the Bones (Apex Voices) (Volume 1)

by Douglas F. Warrick

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An enviably strong collection of fantasy/SF/horror short stories, most of which span more than one of those three genres. Some, like "Behindeye: A History," will leave you with haunting images that bely their brevity (some will haunt you in a good way, others not so much!); others, like "Her Father's Collection," are somewhat predictable, _Twilight Zone_-style, but skilfully told. "Zen and the Art of Gordon Dratch's Damnation," "Drag," and "Stickhead" were all too bizarre and grisly for me, but others might find them more palatable. "Come to My Arms, My Beamish Boy" is a touching piece on memory loss and relationship; and "Inhuman Zones: An Oral History of Jan Landau's Golem Band," is perhaps my favorite of the collection, an MTV-Behind-the-Music take on the, er, making of a rock band. Altogether, a solid collection of stories, alternately chilling and moving, and recommended -- but not for the squeamish. ( )
  The_Scaffold | Nov 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a rather bizzaro collection, although it was not classified as that exactly. The two standout stories, at least for my taste, were "Funeral Song for a Ventriloquist" and "Across the Dead Station Dessert, Television Girl". The rest were just too weird or disturbing or disgusting for me. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Sep 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Plow the Bones" by Douglas F. Warrick reads like a dream, the kind of dream where one unsettling image is replaced with another even more unsettling image, and so on. It's hard to write a review of this book because, like dreams, it's hard to reduce the plot or characters to a neat summary. One thing is certain, Warrick can write with great originality, skill and style.

In very few words, Warrick hones in on those things that cause the most sense of dread and unease, whether it's losing one's mind to dementia and Alzheimers, or confronting death, disease, torture, or betrayal. He takes no cheap shots - these stories are absolutely original looks at these subjects, and at the same time, they seem to tap into some kind of collective unconscious dread. Not recommended as bedtime reading, unless you like your dreams uncomfortable and with a generous dose of indelible imagery. ( )
  GwenH | Jan 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love this book. I love this book so much that I really, really want to dislike Douglas F. Warrick a little. Why? Because he's so freaking good!

I didn't love every story in this collection, but they were each skillfully, no, masterfully told, every one. Every. One. Like, for reals. There is no filler in this book. Not a story, not a sentence, not a word.

The first story in the collection is Behindeye: A History. I read this story. Then I read it again. Then I elbowed my husband and read it out loud to him. The whole story. Because it's THAT good. It's not the only one either.

If you like dark stories and beautiful writing, this collection is one you are not going to want to miss. I received a copy of it as part of a LibraryThing giveaway, but I totally intend to pick up another, physical, copy because this is one of those titles that I really must have on my shelves. And you probably should too. ( )
1 vote RhondaParrish | Nov 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Douglas F. Warrick is a great writer. His stories are sometimes too painful sometimes too real to read but they are always fun to read. He has an interesting style and much more interesting topics. I thought weird fiction can't get weirder.

My favorite stories are:

Her Father’s Collection: Scenes and timing are great.
Zen and the Art of Gordon Dratch’s Damnation: An interesting take on religion and being religious.
Come to My Arms, My Beamish Boy: Haven't read any better story on horrors of Alzheimer's and weird but love.
Across the Dead Station Desert, Television Girl: This was about gender, AI's and being human. A less talented writer might ruin it but Warrick gets it right.

You should buy this book and read it at least twice. Not reading Warrick is missing an important writer. ( )
  turkcebkf | Sep 10, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Douglas F. Warrick's book Plow the Bones was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,154,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible