Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

Her Dark Curiosity

by Megan Shepherd

2291950,561 (3.97)8

This book was creepy good. I loved this book. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
This book was creepy good. I loved this book. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
manipulative love interests, an underdeveloped main character, and lousy plot make me give this a 1 star. i don't give out 1 stars easily, but i literally yelled in frustration. everything was quite predictable except for the ending, which was the best part (along with lucy, who seemed to be the best developed character in the novel).

plus, both edward and montgomery ended up becoming somewhat manipulative throughout the course of this novel - for obvious reasons for edward, montgomery, because he keeps so many secrets from juliet. and the love triangle! WHY IS JULIET ALSO ATTRACTED TO THE BEAST? AAAARREGHHHH. immensely frustrating. really hoping the third one is better. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
"Sometimes you have to embrace the darkness to stop it."

I had a difficult time getting invested in this story, but the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde vibes and Gothic elements were irresistible. I love Shepherd's fearlessness in creating characters that are unabashedly a little bit mad, a lot dark.

Shepherd's second novel in The Madman's Daughter series has Juliet back in London and struggling to adjust to a new life again in society's good graces as a wealthy elderly professor's ward. But a violent killer haunts the city and Juliet fears the past is hunting her as all of the victims possess a link to her own life. Thinking she could finally put her father's cruel and demented experiments behind her, Juliet struggles to come to terms with the fact that her father's dreaded research may be the only hope she has of curing her own debilitating illness. The stakes grow increasingly higher as Juliet hurtles herself, once again, into the center of a dangerously unfolding drama. New characters, grisly murders, a deadly but bewitching alter ego, a gentleman society with not so gentlemanly plans...

The first half of Her Dark Curiosity was very slow to develop, lending to the primary reasoning for my less than four star rating. The usual suspects are back and, with it, the dreaded love triangle I thought we'd put to rest in the previous novel. But we also get new layers of depth for Lucy, a surprisingly strong character, and the appearance of the altogether fascinating Elizabeth, who it seems will likely play an even more significant role in the final installment. A complex story and gripping Gothic chiller with the perfect Victorian London setting. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
"To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it."

Her Dark Curiosity is book two in The Madman's Daughter series about Dr. Moreau's daughter, Juliet. Where the first book was based loosely on H.G. Wells book, The Island of Dr. Moreau, this one is inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I enjoyed this retelling just as much, if not more, then the first. Shepherd does a great job of creating her own unique twists on the old stories and then she very creatively ties them all together. She weaved Frankenstein's heirs into the end of this one so I have a feeling he will be the star of the next book. I can't wait to see how it plays out. I think anyone who enjoys retellings would like this series because they are nicely done. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Back in London after escaping from her father's island and the secrets she left behind, Juliet Moreau strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,330,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible