High Heat: A Jack Reacher Novella (Kindle…

High Heat: A Jack Reacher Novella (Kindle Single)

by Lee Child

Reacher, a fit and feisty 16, does NYC, during a blackout on his way to visit his brother at West Point. It is a very productive night as he thumps a drug dealer, spot "son of Sam, maybe and score with the ladies. A worthwhile early start to his knight errant persona. ( )
  jamespurcell | Feb 5, 2018 |

Reacher portrayed as 16-year-old and behaving like a 30-year-old.

Child is a terrible writer. His short, uneven sentences à la Dan Brown and his proneness for meticulously describing every simple physical motion, not to mention his readiness to begin almost every sentence in a row with the same word, really (almost) puts me off. I know, I know Lee Child is no Shakespeare, but somehow I can't help myself. Each time one of his books comes out I swear to myself I won't pick it up, but once again I couldn't resist. I've sinned again. After finishing "The Cuckoo's Calling" by J.K. Rowling late last night and after perusing my digital library I came across the latest Lee Child (not "Never Go Back", which comes out at the end of the month).

I just wanted to read the first pages and then stop reading and put it aside, but I kept on reading to see what happened next. When I got to the end of it I was beside myself, because I had needed to keep reading it. Voodoo book...?

Child is an terrible writer but a shrewd storyteller. After a while you forget how awful his prose is, because you become engrossed in the story and can't wait to see what happens next. Cheater...

I fear I will sin again when "Never Go Back" comes out..." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
I've read all the books by Lee Child and never thought I'd give an "average" rating to any of his works. Unfortunately, the author has chosen to make Jack 16 years-old and giving him more knowledge, experience, and sex that a kid of his age should have. However, I did read it all, and thought it would have played better if Reacher was in his 20's. ( )
  JPodlaski | Aug 10, 2016 |
This is a high-action prequel to the Jack Reacher series, when he's still a teenager. Having read a couple others in the series, it was very interesting to see Jack Reacher as a teenager (but already with a grown man's body and knowing how to fight) and to get a glimpse at what made him who he is. In this novella, there's plenty of suspense and action, including a budding romance (and a little sex), several encounters with the mafia, a blackout of NYC, sighting of the Son of Sam, etc. Entertaining, don't-put-me-down kind of book, but not for those who avoid violence. (I lowered the rating because parts were still a little unbelievable and because I'd have liked more of his past revealed. 3.5 stars)
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
A short story in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Reacher assists a suspended FBI agent in taking down a mobster. Reacher is only sixteen traveling from Korea to NYC to hear music and met girls. ( )
  terrygraap | Aug 10, 2015 |
The man was over thirty, Reacher thought, and solid, and hot, obviously. He had sweated through his suit. The woman face to face with him could have been younger, but not by much. She was hot too, and scared. Or tense, at least. That was clear. The man was too close to her. She didn’t like that. It was nearly half past eight in the evening, and going dark. But not cooling off. A hundred degrees, someone had said. A real heat wave. Wednesday, July 13th, 1977, New York City. Reacher would always remember the date. It was his second solo visit.

July 1977. Jack Reacher is almost seventeen, and he stops in New York City on the way to visit his brother at West Point. The summer heat is suffocating, the city is bankrupt, and the mad gunman known as Son of Sam is still on the loose. Reacher meets a woman with a problem, and agrees to help her ... but then the power grid fails and the lights go out, plunging the lawless city into chaos. What does a visiting teenager do in the dark? If that visiting teenager is Jack Reacher, the answer is plenty.… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,330,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible