I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred…

I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers

by Tim Madigan

I hate even trying to review this one - its just so impossible to put into words. Tim Madigan has given us a fantastic book that is as much about his own story as it is Fred Rogers, yet still gives us those glimpses of the real Fred Rogers (who was the same as the "Mister Rogers" we all saw on tv) that just mean so much to so many of us. One word that comes to mind about Mr. Rogers is authentic, and this book only confirms that further to me. I'm not sure what else to say about this book. Tim Madigan has graciously given us a short bibliography of some of the books that he and Mr. Rogers discussed during their friendship - I think that reading through those might be one of my new reading goals.

(If you haven't figured out all ready, Mr. Rogers is on my list of very very special celebrities - one of my prized possessions is my letter I received from Mr. Rogers in response to a letter I sent him - oddly enough one I wrote when I was in middle school and thus too old to watch his show, but had read an article about him that gave his address... and to this day reading that letter makes me cry, because I do believe that Mr. Roger's God given gift was the ability to give everyone the feeling that they are special and unique and important, even if he never met them in real life...) ( )
2 vote YoungGeekyLibrarian | Feb 14, 2011 |
A moving story of someone who actually had a personal relationship with Fred Rogers (unlike all the rest of us who just imagined we did).

Madigan shares their friendship as it progresses from an interview to a series of letters and gifts shared between the men. ( )
  AspiringAmeliorant | Apr 1, 2010 |
This is a sweet story, a tribute to Fred Rogers, and more the story of how Rogers influenced Madigan. For those of us who loved the work of Fred Rogers it is a confirmation of what we always believed to be his personality. ( )
  corrmorr | Sep 20, 2009 |
Madigan shares some of the most trying times of his life and his most difficult hurdles to overcome, and celebrates the friend who was there with him through it all: Fred Rogers. unlikely as it seemed to him, a newspaper reporter who had never watched the Mister Rogers children’s show but who was sent to interview the icon, Tim and Fred bonded almost instantly and remained very close until Fred’s death in 2003. by honestly and openly telling of his marital problems, difficulties with his father, minor setbacks, the slow death of his brother to cancer- and how it affected him and how he, with Rogers as his mentor, made it through them all a better person, he touches on the deep common humanity in us all and gives us hope.

and in this way he continues the work of Fred Rogers. as one reviewer put it: Fred Rogers inspired people because he saw the good in them; he challenged people because he wanted them to see the good in themselves. even just reading about Rogers’ friendship with Madigan reinforces the idea that there is good in you, and that at least one someone out there somewhere knows that, and will believe in you no matter what happens.

the style is straightforward prose, much like one would expect from a newspaper article, but the story is moving and revealing as well. ( )
  moiraji | Sep 14, 2008 |
On a sunny Sunday afternoon, in that bleak season of 1997, I knelt in the fornt yard of my suburban Texas home, in a mood anything but festive, trying to arrange Christmas lights.

A journalist discusses his friendship with the late children's TV programming host, describing how Rogers welcomed the author into his personal life and church, helping him to mend a long-standing dysfunctional relationship with his own father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,970,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible