Ardent Forest by Nancy Jane Moore

Ardent Forest

by Nancy Jane Moore

2820389,858 (2.79)4

English (19)  Hungarian (1)  All (20)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A story set in an apocalyptic future in which two girls have to choose between their love for their warring parents and their love for each other.

The story was a quick read, but it just wasn't really my style - I'm sure there are people who like this type of story, but it's just not my thing. The author often uses somewhat archaic language in the conversations, which to me felt somewhat artificial and unnatural. She also puts in 'interludes', humorous commentaries on the story, which I felt only broke up the story without really adding anything.
Aside from this, I found the story rather predictable. There are really no surprises, you can almost guess the story right from the first chapter. It would have been nice had there been some more twists, some unexpected events. The way the story is now, it's not really a bad read, but it isn't very exciting either. ( )
  Britt84 | Jul 8, 2016 |
This dystopian novella is set in Texas after the collapse of organized society.
We find out that Texas is divided into several fiefdoms based in the cities with less organized areas in between. As we follow the exploits of the two main protagonists, two young women who say they can't live without each other, we consider the structure of society and many types of human love. The characters are very interesting and I would love to see them developed more deeply in a full novel or series of novels. The author could then commit to a more well described society and develop the characters more fully. I enjoyed the interludes that allow the reader to get an idea of the author's thinking.
I received this book free from librarything.com. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 7, 2015 |
This dystopian novella is set in Texas after the collapse of organized society.
I received this book free from librarything.com. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After The Collapse, Texas is now governed by local governors. Guy Gisborn ousted Robin his wife seizing control and holding Robin's daughter Rosa hostage. He wants to dispose of Rosa keeping her away from Cecily at all costs. Robin wants to rescue her daughter from her ex husband clutches but cannot make a move against that would hurt Rosa. Guy's paranoia increases as his control slips away from him steadily. Can Rosa and Cecily get out of Gisborn's sight? Will Rosa contact Robin? Your answers await you in Ardent Forest.

Interesting take on divided country. This book had dystopian feel to it. I didn't like Guy or his actions. The characters were honest, real, and likeable. The story was quick read. I'd be interested in this author's work in the future. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Aug 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't finish this book; it didn't hold my interest. Too bad, I love Shakespeare. I think the temptation to update his timeless tales is sometimes too great to overcome, and it's not always a great result. ( )
  mermaidatheart | Jul 29, 2014 |
This dystopian novella is set in Texas after the collapse of organized society.
I received this book free from librarything.com.

"All the world's a post-apocalyptic stage." A re-telling of "As You Like It" set in a balkanized Texas after climate change and bad economic policies have brought about social collapse.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nancy Jane Moore's book Ardent Forest was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible