Autobiography by Morrissey

Autobiography

by Morrissey

3571930,515 (3.63)19
    Mozipedia by Simon Goddard (Anonymous user)
    Morrissey by Pat Reid (Anonymous user)

English (18)  Swedish (1)  All (19)
One star off for the last 50 pages or so which just felt rushed.... ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
There is an ongoing game, on Goodreads and elsewhere, to see who can disparage this book, and by extension Morrissey, as pomposity in the extreme while at the same time trying to use the longest words and to sound the most intelligent. Accuse Morrissey of being a second class Oscar Wilde to gain further points by the way.

An off-shoot of the game is to preface your scathing review by saying how much you “loved The Smiths” before tearing Morrissey a new one. It looks like fun but I won’t be playing. In fact I won’t say anything smart or clever in this review and I’ll end up by giving this book its deserved five stars.

Morrissey is an exceptionally gifted writer, this is no surprise to those of us who have hung on his every word for the last thirty two years or so. He is by far and away the most intelligent “pop” star to have risen since the sixties (the start of popular music). I suppose the one thing that did floor me with his writing in this book was that he could sustain it over 450 pages. It sounded like his speaking voice, which is not always the case in autobiographies, and it had sweeping passages of prose that wouldn’t have been out of place in a literary novel. I for one hope that he finishes the novel he’s currently working on.

Aside from the writing I was impressed by the way that Morrissey came across as a fully rounded person, and I mean fully rounded in the true sense of that phrase. He has had bitter moments and happy ones, he is thrilled by things and depressed by things, he loves and hates and shares funny moments – all in all he is very human and has a markedly different persona than that which the media would love to fix on him, and have been trying to for years. I loved the line at the end, the structure of this book by the way is another example of Morrissey’s mastery of style, where he says “I am no more unhappy than anyone else…” and it seems that this is the manifesto of the book - that you can only ever be YOU, a summation of all of your own experiences and influences, and to try to comment on another person without full disclosure of those experiences is ultimately futile. He's been trying to tell the press as much for years.

Morrissey’s book is a brave attempt to set out his experiences and to show how he became who he is - the lack of salacious gossip doesn't make it any less successful. Things are hinted at and really with a knowledge of his songwriting and some clear thinking you can certainly read the subtext in certain passages. He also attempts to alter perceptions and to change minds, not to mention to put right a few mistruths. Unfortunately the closed minds won’t read it and those who do not need convincing, like me, will always provide support and really there won’t be any crossover because that’s not possible in the Marmite world of Morrissey fandom.

Morrissey says in this book that being a Smiths/Morrissey fan is a political choice and I agree. I’ve spent my whole life defending my musical tastes (back in the day it was possible to be punched for liking certain bands in tribal old England, and I was) and it has affected my cultural perception in all areas of my life, for the better I might add, and so I make no apology for hanging on every word that this literary genius of a man produces.
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Morrissey's writing was downright amazing in parts and I really wanted to love this book. The descriptions of his childhood were wonderfully presented. I found, however, in some places the self-deprecation and the-world-is-out-to-get-me got to be a little much. Morrissey has a strong intolerance of anyone whose opinions don't wholly match with his own and he seems to thoroughly detest, if not downright hate nearly everyone and everything...but what can one expect from Morrissey ;P ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
It is a shame that not more moments occur in "Autobiography". As a lyricist Mr Morrissey was keen to point to his flaws—to portray himself as a “bigmouth” or to sing of unrequited, disappointed love. Such self-deprecation made him endearing. It also prevented anyone from being able to quite copy the style that made The Smiths so good. This is not the case with “Autobiography”, which seems crippled by self-consciousness yet lacking self-awareness. Unfortunately Mr Morrissey has made himself easy to parody.

My childhood is streets upon streets upon streets upon streets.

Autobiography covers Morrissey's life from his birth until the present day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

In 2007 Morrissey was voted the greatest northern male, past or present, in a nationwide newspaper poll. In 2012, he was awarded the Keys to the City of Tel-Aviv. It has been said 'Most pop stars have to be dead before they reach the iconic status that Morrissey has reached in his lifetime" -- Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,045,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible