Murder on a Kibbutz: A Communal Case by…

Murder on a Kibbutz: A Communal Case (1994)

by Batya Gur

201758,418 (3.58)11

English (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (7)
This book is as much about the insular society of an Israeli kibbutz as it is about Inspector Michael Ohayon solving a murder. While I didn't find the murder mystery terribly absorbing, I was fascinated by the details of kibbutz society. At its best, Gur's prose is a lucid description of the "egalitarian elitism" that prevails in such enclosed communities, where the details of everyday life are given immense, overt ideological weight. The ending was a rather disappointing anticlimax—there's too much of the deus ex machina to it—but I found Ohayon to be a much more fully realised character than I did in the previous book I read in the series, Saturday Morning Murder, and I would recommend the book as a diverting and informative read. ( )
  siriaeve | Apr 16, 2010 |
This is mainly a view into kibbutz life with lots of commentary on the various directions that the kibbutz-movement is taking. The community and its characters are well described and the story gives you a good feel of the land and the people. Mystery-wise, it’s a little “iffy,” though. I for one figured out who the killer was almost immediately, but that may be because I’ve read Gur before and her set-up is similar from book to book. Also, the end is a bit deus ex machina where Ohayon somehow finds out a lot of information, but there is no explanation of how he finds out. Still an enjoyable read since I like Ohayon and the place and character descriptions are well written. ( )
  -Eva- | May 10, 2008 |
The 3rd in the Michael Ohayon series, set in Israel.

About the only good thing I can find to say about this book is that there is some interesting information about the challenges and changes going on in the kibbutz movement in Israel today. Beyond that, the writing is uninspired, and the characters are one-dimensional, as in her first book--you really don't care what happens to anyone you meet.

To make matters even worse, after slogging through the book at least interested in how the murder is resolved, the reader is suddenly slapped in the face, in the last two pages, with an utterly unsatisfactory denoument that comes out of left field.

Extremely disappointing. ( )
  Joycepa | Apr 7, 2008 |

A murder takes place in a kibbutz. Ohayun discovers there are many possible suspects in the community.

In a kibbutz in Israel, chief superintendent Michael Ohayon of the Serious Crime Unit investigates the murder of a beautiful woman killed by lethal insecticide. In part mystery, in part life on a kibbutz. By the author of Literary Murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,030,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible