Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete…

Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading…

by Sally Shaywitz

I'm reading this for work, and it really is quite good. It's amazing how many of our widespread ideas about dyslexia and learning disorders are totally, and hurtfully, wrong.
  eastpole | Feb 22, 2011 |
This book was very helpful for my family. My son having lots of reading problems because of dyslexia, I read this book in order to help him. I am proud to say he has caught up to his reading level now. ( )
  mbertsch | Sep 20, 2010 |
Shaywitz packs this book with tons of information on dyslexia including the science on how the dyslexic brain learns. She also includes the best ways to teach reading for dyslexia and the importance of keeping the dyslexic student's sense of worth intact. She reminds us that people with dyslexia are bright, creative individuals who simply learn in a different way. I love her positive view of dyslexia and her desire to be an advocate for all who suffer with this disability. This is an excellent book and I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand dyslexia. This should be required reading for all elementary teachers who are bound to have students with dyslexia in their classes.

Despite my high praise for Shaywitz's work, I do disagree with a few of her ideas. She seems to think parents aren't capable of teaching their kids to read which is absurd. She thinks it is best left to experts. I agree that we need to do our research to be prepared to help students with dyslexia, but I think parents are in the best situation to give their children the one-on-one attention that they need.

She also seems to think we should push young kids with intensive phonics. I think it's fine to play with phonics at that age, but I disagree with intensive tutoring that young. While she consistently says it's never too late to help with dyslexia, she also repeatedly says kids are at a great disadvantage if they don't learn to read until later. I understand why she believes that and I can even agree with that to some extent. But I do not believe that kids are at a long term disadvantage if they learn to read later especially if they have been raised and educated in an environment where they have not been ridiculed, where they have had rich exposure to language and reading, and where they have parents who are advocates in helping their children be successful.

Shaywitz's book is filled with vital information for all parents and teachers who want to help their struggling students succeed. I truly enjoyed reading her ending where she shared the stories of people who have used their dyslexia to help them enjoy passionate and successful lives. ( )
  mentormom | Oct 23, 2009 |
I read another book on dyslexia a couple of years ago. After the initial review, I found even more information on it that pointed to that book’s shortcomings. This one, Overcoming Dyslexia, by Sally Shaywitz, I have to say is much better. Still, this is no five star review.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jun 16, 2008 |
A god send ( )
  porian | Dec 1, 2005 |
For my children, Adam, Jonathan, Diana, and David,
who give so much to me,
and
for Bennett, who is my life

FOR EVERYONE WHO STRUGGLES TO READ!
Clear, practical, science-based information and advice for successful results

One in five American children has trouble reading. But they are not stupid or lazy. In Overcoming Dyslexia, Dr. Sally Shaywitz, codirector of the Yale Center for the Study of Learning and Attention and a leader in the new research into how the brain works, offers the latest information about reading problems and proven, practical techniques that, along with hard work and the right help, can enable anyone to overcome them. Here are the tools that parents and teachers need to help the dyslexic child, age by age, grade by grade, step by step.

--What dyslexia is and why some intelligent, gifted people read slowly and painfully
--How to identify dyslexia in preschoolers, schoolchildren, young adults, and adults
--How to find the best school and how to work productively with your child’s teacher
--Exercises to help children use the parts of the brain that control reading
--A 20-minute nightly home program to enhance reading
--The 150 most common problem words–a list that can give your child a head start
--Ways to raise and preserve a child’s self-esteem aqnd reveal his strengths
--Stories of successful men and women who are dyslexic

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

Offers parents instructions on how to help their children.

68 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,790,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible