Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Shadows

by Nalini Singh

This was one story that I've been hopelessly waiting since Ashwini and Janvier were first mentioned in the series. They had such an amazing love story and I can't help but stress how good the writing is here. Awesome. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
I must say this is one of the weaker books of the series. There are several reasons for me to say that. First of all I am a fan of Nalini Singh and member of a bunch of platforms like facebook and goodreads where people talk about her books. I accidentially read a spoiler and it ruined the surprise effect in this book. I won't say what but if the solution you've been waiting for comes in the last 20 pages it's kind of too late. I am not a fan of Janvier either. He didn't have the depth of other characters. So he gave me the impression of a mediocre young vampire who has above average physical strenght, some very limited mental supernatural capabilities, an overdrive to protect his loved ones and knows how to be patient. He is also the sweetheart of
many other characters for reasons I cannot see. In real life I would have called him slimy. He is yet to develop his sophisticated side and has as a character very few quirks. All this makes him boring.
Ash on the other hand reminded me of other characters of Singh in the psy changeling series. She isn't original and sorry to say that but she isn't the only one. A buch of characters repeat themselves under different names in Singh's books. If I wouldn't have read some very strong, sophisticated characters already I would say she is a bad author who repeats her stories with different titles.
Another critical failure was the fact that Ashwini and Janvier's story is told in two different books. It starts with a novella where they have to work together for Nazarach the angel. I've read that story but it's been some time and I don't remember all the details. So I felt as if the first chapter is missing while I was reading this one. Sadly I don't own the novella it was from the library and to be honest I didn't bother to go find it to read again.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR SOMEONE WHO IS BEGINNING TO READ NALINI SINGH. Go pick another one or you will hate her and miss the really good stuff she writes. ( )
  spacegirl3000 | Feb 28, 2017 |
Archangel's Shadows
3.5 Stars

The city of New York is struggling to recover in the aftermath of the horrific battle against Lijuan’s forces. The Archangel Raphael, his consort Elena together with the members of the Seven and the Guild are all working to keep the peace, but when the desiccated body of a young woman is found the fragile calm is in danger of imploding. Given the task of investigating the insidious crime, Guild Hunter Ashwini Taj is partnered once again with the sexy Cajun vampire, Janvier, who drives her to distraction both personally and professionally. As the two get closer to capturing a merciless killer, Ash will have to confront her deepest fears and darkest secrets or risk losing the only man she has ever loved.

While the mystery and the interactions between the familiar characters make this an enjoyable read, it is the weakest story in terms of the romance between Ash and Janvier.

Unlike the previous books in the series, which focus on the machinations of the different archangels, the focus in this installment is on the darker and seedier side of New York inhabited by those immortals with more perverse proclivities and the humans who are drawn to them due to the promise of wealth, lust and pleasure. This particular setting is quite fascinating as it provides interesting insights into the dynamics between mortals and immortals within the Guild Hunter world, and the investigation into the mummified corpse of a young woman is intense and gripping. It is impossible not to identify and sympathize with the innocent victim lured into a life of humiliation, degradation and torture.

Unfortunately, Ash and Janvier’s romance falls flat, which is disappointing as their previous interactions have been very promising. The witty banter and flirtatious skirmishes that characterized their earlier relationship are sorely missing and there is far too much melodramatic angst surrounding Ash’s family and the supposedly devastating secret that she is keeping from Janvier.

The real highlight of the story are the updates in the lives of the other members of Raphael’s Seven including Dmitri, Illium and Aodahn as well as the mysterious and enigmatic Naasir who is definitely one of the strangest characters in the series thus far. Moreover, Elena’s ongoing struggles with her transition from hunter to angel are very compelling as she must cope with the diplomatic intricacies of being Raphael’s Consort as well as a visit from her exceedingly powerful and frightening mother-in-law.

In sum, a good addition to the series for the developments in the world building and characterization, but not so much for the romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Their romance begun long before the publication of this book and it was always flirty, teasing and light but when the heroine almost dies, she sees a different side to the Cajun vampire. He makes it clear that he's no longer playing around and claims her as his. The problem with that is the heroine knows she can't allow herself that pleasure and she instantly tries to distant herself from him. When mummified corpses of animals and people start showing up, they are linked once again to solve the murders before chaos erupts in an already less than stable city. The hero is different from any other male character in the series thus far because he isn't a dark tortured vampire or angel. He's over 200 years old yet he hasn't let life break him down or compromise his morals. He's so dedicated to the heroine and doesn't even attempt to hide his feelings or his intentions but still allows the heroine time and space to develop on her own. The heroine is more typical of a character in this series. She's so strong and independent yet she's vulnerable emotionally and lives a life plague by personal issues and past secrets. However, in this case, the build up and mystery surrounding the heroine's secret and reason for denying herself the love of the hero was very anti climatic. Almost bordering on laughable. I gave myself a little chuckle and thought' really? that's it?'. But the best thing about Nalini Singhs novels is the plot line and the fact that it features amazing love stories that include a fascinating subplot and mystery that leaves you hanging on the edge of the seat. This story was a little less exciting then the others and a bit iffy in the suspense department if I'm being honest but I loved the hero and heroine so much that I couldn't help but love the story in return. Sexy Cajun male that he is, the hero is a charmer by profession and it's very understandable by the way he speaks to other characters. He's easy going, able to laugh and tease the heroine and knows everybody in the city. His love for the heroine is a constant thread throughout the book and so is her love for him. Though she fights it tooth and nail, of course she finally gives in. How could you resist that New Orleans French accent? ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
This story takes place not long after the Raphael and crew have prevailed in the big battle with Lijuan. No one is quite sure whether she is alive or dead, and whether the city will have any lasting effects from her treachery. So when animals and humans alike are turning up mummified, the angels, vamps and hunters know the mystery must be solved quickly to avoid a city-wide panic.

Ash and Janvier have been dancing around each other for most of the series, so I was stoked to finally get to their book. Ash is such a complicated character. She has been in love with Janvier but holds him at arm's length due to some unknown secret. Let me tell ya that I had no idea what the secret was until it was revealed. Ash's family history is heartbreaking. I'm afraid to say more without including spoilers.

As for Janvier - I love that Cajun! I listened to this book in audio so hearing his Cajun French accent was great and really brought his character to life. Janvier's devotion to Ash, and what he was willing to give up for her, brought tears to my eyes.

But who really stole the book for me was Naasir - I cannot get enough of him. His mannerisms and almost childlike curiosity and innocence beguile me. The narrator also gave him a great accent and does an outstanding job with his character. I cannot wait for his book, he may surpass Dmitri as my favorite for the series.

5 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Ashwini navigated the darkened stairwell with quick steps, careful not to make a sound.

In the wake of a brutal war, the archangel Raphael and his hunter consort, Elena, are dealing with the treacherously shifting tides of archangelic politics and the people of a battered but not broken city. The last thing their city needs is more death, especially a death that bears the eerie signature of an insane enemy archangel who cannot—should not—be walking the streets.

This hunt must be undertaken with stealth and without alerting their people. It must be handled by those who can become shadows themselves…

Ash is a gifted tracker and a woman cursed with the ability to sense the secrets of anyone she touches. But there’s one man she knows all too well without a single instant of skin contact: Janvier, the dangerously sexy Cajun vampire who has fascinated and infuriated her for years. Now, as they track down a merciless killer, their cat-and-mouse game of flirtation and provocation has turned into a profound one of the heart. And this time, it is Ash’s secret, dark and terrible, that threatens to destroy them both.

After a bloody battle, the archangel Raphael and his consort, Elena, ask hunter Ashwini and her partner, Cajun vampire Janvier, to stop an insane archangel who is terrorizing the already beaten-down town.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible