The Darling Dahlias and the Silver Dollar…

The Darling Dahlias and the Silver Dollar Bush

by Susan Wittig Albert

Series: Darling Dahlias Mysteries (5)

A fun little cozy mystery. Will the bank ever reopen? What did Mr. Johnson do that it needed to be closed? I was not familiar with the story that during the Depression some communities began using script instead of cash. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 12, 2016 |
Excellent book! All the banks are going under in 1933 and everyone is in a panic. At the end of course not one but two local women save the day for Darling! Another wonderful SWA book!!! ( )
  lhaines56 | Apr 2, 2016 |
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Mystery/2014/Berkley/276 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #5 in the Darling Dahlias
CHARACTERS AUTHOR: Members of the Darling Dahlias -- garden club in Southern AL
TIME/PLACE 1930's/Southern AL
FIRST LINES Earlynne Biddle sighed heavily. "Well, I for one don't know how any of us are going to manage, now that the bank is closed."
COMMENTS: Another very good entry in this series. This one focuses on the bank closing. A new president comes up from New Orleans and altho' he seems nice… Verna does some background checks. The town is advised to issue Darling Dahlias to promote local business and keep things going until they can get the bank open again. Lizzie has a big change -- Grady has to marry a young women so after years of dating Lizzie … that relationship ended. She temporarily goes to Montgomery to work in another law office. Moonshiners are being hit hard by the federal agents. ( )
  pammykn | Nov 21, 2015 |
I just took my first trip to Darling, Alabama in the 1930’s. I had a delightful time, so I’m going again! But I’m getting ahead of myself.

THE DARLING DAHLIAS AND THE SILVER DOLLAR BUSH, was my first book in this historical mystery series, but not my first book by author Susan Wittig Albert. I started reading her China Bayles books a few months. Wittig Albert is an exceptional writer. Her words seem to flow effortlessly from her pen/keyboard. At least, that’s how they read to me.

I enjoyed getting to know Liz Lacy and the other ladies of the Darling Dahlias’ gardening club. These ladies prove that the women of the 1930’s were no shrinking violets. These ladies made this story feel a bit more character driven than some books. Indeed’ this book read a bit more like a “women’s fiction” than a mystery. Don’t get me wrong…I don’t mean that as a negative. I just wanted to point out that it transcended genre barriers and I think many readers will like that.

The mystery was done very well and it was interesting to see how everything was resolved.

And just for something I personally enjoy…the author included a character list at the beginning and she named each chapter. I just love that. ;-)

There are also several southern-style depression-era recipes included at the back of the book. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Sep 1, 2015 |
It’s 1933 and the little town of Darling, Alabama is in trouble. The only bank in town is closed and if it stays closed for long – or permanently – citizens and businesses will suffer. The bank’s new vice president, Alvin Duffy, comes up with an idea to issue scrip – “Darling Dollars,” that companies will be used for payroll and workers – in turn – can use to pay for rent and groceries. It’s not a perfect system, but it may just keep the town afloat until the bank reopens.

The town is also contending with a g-man, a revenuer who will stop at nothing to close down the area’s whiskey stills. Reader favorite Liz Lacy learns her long-time beau may be forced into a shotgun wedding with a 20-year-old; and Verna Tidwell, county treasurer, wonders about Alvin Duffy and her feelings about him.

These lovely cozy novels are heavy on cozy and light on mystery. When I start reading, I know that the ending will be happy and sometimes that’s just what I’m in the mood for. Susan Wittig Albert knows how to please her readers – with great characters readers love, several story lines featuring those characters, and a knack for writing that is sure to please even the most finicky readers. The Darling Dahlias and the Silver Dollar Bush is a great addition to the series. ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 5, 2014 |

Susan Wittig Albertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Price, PeggityNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my mother,
Lucille Franklin Webber,
who lived through the 1930s with courage and grace
and shared her stories with me.
Dear Reader,
We have to say that we were very surprised when Mrs. Albert approached us about writing another book about our Darling garden club.
Earlynne Biddle sighed heavily.

National bestselling author Susan Wittig Albert takes readers back in time to small-town Darling, Alabama, in the 1930s—where the Darling Savings and Trust has just closed and the women of the Darling Dahlias’ garden club are betting their bottom dollar there’s going to be trouble…

It’s the spring of 1933 and times are tough all over. The only businessman not struggling is moonshiner Mickey LeDoux, though he still has to steer clear of federal agents. But banks are closing all over the country, and the small town of Darling is no exception. Folks are suddenly caught short on cash and everyone is in a panic.

Desperate to avoid disaster, several town leaders—including Alvin Duffy, the bank’s new vice president—hatch a plan to print Darling Dollars on newspaperman Charlie Dickens’ printing press. The “funny money” can serve as temporary currency so the town can function. But when the first printing of the scrip disappears, the Darling Dahlias set out to discover who made an unauthorized withdrawal.

Meanwhile County Treasurer Verna Tidwell questions whether she can trust Alvin Duffy—and the feelings he stirs up inside her. And Liz Lacy learns her longtime beau may be forced into a shotgun wedding. Seems other troubles don’t just go away when there’s a crisis. There’ll be no pennies from heaven, but if anyone can balance things out, folks can bank on the Darling Dahlias…

Includes Southern-Style Depression-Era Recipes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible