Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow…

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal (2014)

by G. Willow Wilson (Writer), Adrian Alphona (Artist)

Other authors: Joe Caramanga (Letterer), Ian Herring (Color artist), Jamie McKelvie (Cover artist (#2-5)), Phil Noto (Cover artist), Sarah Pichelli (Cover artist)2 more, Justin Ponsor (Cover artist), Matthew Wilson (Cover artist (#2-3, 5))

Series: Ms. Marvel (Vol.3, 1), Ms. Marvel [2014] (1-5)

English (71)  Swedish (1)  All (72)
I went into this book fully expecting that I wasn't going to like it. My attitude was that if they wanted a new hero, then put out a book, but don't call her Ms. Marvel especially if she has a different power set.
But, they didn't care what I thought and went ahead and did their thing. I was going to read it so that I could write a truly self-righteous rant on comics today. But, as you probably have guessed, this is not a rant.

This is not a Carol-Danvers-look-alike/power-alike character. She is her own person. There is a reason why she takes the moniker of Ms. Marvel, and I think its a pretty good one. While this seems to certainly be a book aimed at people younger than me, there is plenty of stuff to keep us old-timers interested, not the least of which are subtle (and a couple not-so-subtle) pop culture references, as well as a circumspective eye aimed a the Marvel Universe.

I am very reminded of Marvel's Runaways, but only the good parts. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
I wrote a review for this and Goodreads went down and it was lost....a lesson to copy your reviews just in case...

Guess I'll try to re-write the review later. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (writer) and Adrian Alphona (artist) is a graphic novel which brings a new Ms. Marvel to the Marvel Universe. This graphic novel collects the first five issues of the series, plus some pertinent pages from Marvel Now Point One.
Kamala Khan, a Jersey City teenager, suddenly finds herself with superpowers. Kamala, a fan of the Marvel Super Heroes is trying to wrap her head around the idea that she is now one of them.

But being a religious girl and superhero has it’s pros and cons, as Kamala is about to find out.

My daughter has a friend in school who loves comic books. She graciously let her borrow the graphic novel Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (writer) and Adrian Alphona (artist) to bring home and read.

As a parent and a part-time teacher (I teach computer technologies evening college classes), I cannot imagine being in one room with little kids or teens for more than 30 minutes. I love to see my kids read, doesn’t matter what. I also try to read what they do so we can discuss it later, so I borrowed the graphic novel, and I’m glad I did.

This is an enjoyable and fresh story with great artwork and interesting, new characters. The storyline obviously does not cater to middle aged guys, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I really liked that the teens in the book are treated as “small adults” rather than “kids”.

The graphic novel is a great take on Super Heroes and I’m looking forward to read the next one. My daughter did not finish it yet, but I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com ( )
  ZoharLaor | Aug 26, 2017 |
A really fun introduction to the adventures of Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American from Jersey City who's struggling to reconcile being a sixteen-year-old girl with her immigrant parents' hopes for her future and her sudden acquisition of superpowers. I'll definitely keep an eye out for future instalments in this series. ( )
  siriaeve | Aug 20, 2017 |
I'm hoping that Marvel keep the artist for the full run as I am sick and tired of every female superhero looking the same and wearing that damned lipstick. EVERY ONE, lipstick. This art style is a breath of fresh air to the copy paste style that is usually seen in comic books.
That aside many of the panels have little easter eggs in them if you look hard enough. Like the WB dancing frog.

Overall the story is awesome and is a nice setup. I can only hope with the dump in the rest of the Marvel universe, it doesn't get too kludged up and Kamala remains at the forefront of her own title.
  Maverynthia | Jul 27, 2017 |

Noto, PhilCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pichelli, SarahCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ponsor, JustinCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MatthewCover artist (#2-3, 5)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I just want to smell it.
Delicious, delicious infidel meat.....
Collects Ms. Marvel (2014) #1-5 and material from All-New Marvel Now! Point One #1, written by G. Willow Wilson and illustrated by Adrian Alphona.

Kamala Khan é uma garota comum de New Jersey — até que subitamente ganha dons extraordinários. Mas quem é realmente a nova Miss Marvel? Adolescente? Muçulmana? Inumana? Saiba a resposta conforme ela toma de assalto o Universo Marvel! Ao descobrir os perigos associados aos seus recém-descobertos poderes, Kamala precisa lidar também com o segredo que existe por trás deles. Estará a mais nova heroína do pedaço pronta para utilizar seus imensos dons? Ou o peso do legado que tem a carregar será mais do que ela pode aguentar? Nem a própria Kamala sabe ao certo, mas New Jersey que se prepare, pois a Miss Marvel chegou para ficar!

Escrito pela aclamada roteirista G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo), com desenhos do brilhante Adrian Alphona (Fugitivos)!

Este volume reúne as edições 1 a 5 de Ms. Marvel e uma história retirada de All-New Marvel Now! Point One 1.

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible