The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister

The Magician's Lie

by Greer Macallister

Recommended by Susan.
  pkloza | Sep 21, 2016 |
The narrative of this was interesting, as I was drawn into the mysteries of the "magician". However, I would have really enjoyed a bit more historical perspective and character development. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book was riveting, spellbinding and pulls you into the story. I was entranced by Arden's telling of her story. Arden's life is full of fear, narrow escapes, and missed opportunities. Its a difficult life but Arden survives. There are some dark and shocking scenes of abuse in the book that may leave you sucking in your breath and gasping. Yet they tell the story of survival as well. Brilliant debut from this new historical fiction writer. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | May 31, 2016 |
I thought this book was pretty intriguing. She kept me very interested in the story of Ada's life. I was a little disappointed in the ending and thought it wasn't very imaginative... There was quite a build up to the end but I felt like it just fell flat. ( )
  MinDea | Mar 30, 2016 |
The turn of the century setting in this story is what captured my attention first. I love books with a historical aspect to them and the traveling shows on the railway, New York, and Biltmore all lent themselves to the time period and were beautifully described. You can tell the author did her research when you, as the reader, feel like you are there inside the story. The Amazing Arden, our main character, is truly "amazing." She is a strong woman born in a man's time who dared to take risks in order to make it on her own and escape her past. She never gave up even when pushed to the breaking point and I like to see that in a female character.

The story is told in one night, in a police station, while Arden is handcuffed to a chair as a suspected murderer. She tells her story from this chair, going back to her childhood and ending with a return to the present. Her story is intriguing and I found myself constantly making mental notes when I thought I found a clue in the past that might lead to what really happened. I went back and forth several times on the issue of Arden's guilt. When the truth was close to being revealed and I realized what truly happened, I was both surprised and also impressed that the author was able to hold onto the mystery for so long. The paranormal element of the story is minor but just enough to make it all the more engaging. The love story between Arden and Clyde is beautifully written and reminds us of the sacrifices people make for one another so they can protect and be with the ones that mean the most to them. As a villain, Ray was the perfect example of evil. He was truly disturbed and made me cringe on more than one occasion as I read. I had no compassion for him whatsoever.

One thing I would have loved to have in the story was a more prominent role for Officer Holt. We get a glimpse of his life and the hardship he is dealing with but I felt that he was a good guy who was temporarily lost in life and I would have liked to see a more solid ending to his story.

There are a few disturbing scenes but these just made the book even harder to put down because I knew in my heart that Arden would prevail. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,362,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible