An Evil Mind by Chris Carter

An Evil Mind

by Chris Carter

English (6)  German (1)  All (7)
An Evil Mind is a suspense thriller with Detective Robert Taylor of the LAPD, who is on loan to the FBI for this serial murder case. In this case, the killer is a college friend of Taylor's, who turns out to be a sadistic sociopath who has been killing for the last 25 years. He would only confess if Taylor was brought in, so he was. Wow. From there it is a roller coaster ride of suspense and pure intensity. It was so hard to put down, as I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. The last quarter of the book had some twists that I did not see coming, but were fabulous to the storyline. It was a thrill ride that I would recommend to anyone who likes suspense books. It is well worth it. ( )
  BonnieKernene | Apr 27, 2017 |
[An Evil Mind] by Chris Carter
Robert Hunter series Book #6
4.5★'s

From The Book:
A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the sheriff’s department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery: a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing, and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years.

The case is immediately handed over to the FBI, but this time they’re forced to ask for help from ex-criminal behavior psychologist and lead detective with the Ultra Violent Crime Unit of the LAPD, Robert Hunter. As he begins interviewing the apprehended suspect, terrifying secrets are revealed, including the real identity of a killer so elusive that no one, not even the FBI, had any idea he existed…until now.

My Thoughts:
This was a reread for me. I really liked it the first time I read it so when my little brain finally grasped the fact that it sounded familiar because I has already read the book....I was so hooked into the story that I continued to read and I'm very glad that i did.

The story was a tad different form others that I'd read since the majority of the book had the killer already behind bars. LAPD detective and expert on Criminal Behavior, Robert Hunter, was on loan to the FBI because the killer had asked for him...would only speak to him and him alone. Robert Hunter knew the killer...had gone to college with him and during that period of time, was his roommate. So how could he refuse?

Thus begins the interview and the story is slowly rolled out of how this monster...who Robert thought was his friend...had killed 31 known victims and possibly more... because death fascinated him. During the interview he delivered the final atrocity...his last capture was still ALIVE...SOMEWHERE. At this point the reader knew where this was headed but were still hopeful. Without revealing the unbelievable ending I will say that the end had quite an interesting twist. Seriously people...this book should only be read by those that are willing to take a trip to the very, very dark side. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 24, 2016 |
From The Book Cover:

A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the sheriff’s department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery—a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing, and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years. The suspect claims he is a pawn in a huge labyrinth of lies and deception—but can he be believed?

My Thoughts:

From the information on the first page Chris Carter tells the reader that the book is different from all his other books as it is his first thriller and is based on real people and real events. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Thus said...we are rushed into the mind of a clever, sadistic serial killer. To make matters worse he is the college friend of Police Detective, Robert Hunter. The FBI has no choice but to call Hunter since the monster in the basement cell refuses to speak to anyone else.

The beginning of the book was fascinating as the two friends met for the first time in 25 years and the game began. For me the book lost some stars as the story went on and became less and less believable. I don't think the FBI would be stupid enough to allow a obvious serial killer to travel to the middle of nowhere with only one agent and a police detective that isn't even with the FBI. Be warned the book is gruesome in many places as the killer describes in gory detail his 25 year killing spree but in spite of that it had some very good surprise occurrences. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
An Evil Mind is the first book of this series that I have read, and it will definitely not be the last. This was some spellbinding storytelling. I did not read other reviews beforehand so I had no idea who the serial killer was in this story, so I was still surprised when it was revealed. The author definitely knows what he talks about and you can feel it in this book. I like how he teaches us with snippets of the psychology and torture methods of a serial killer. I really learned from this book. The story is certainly a race and the events described are chilling. This book is for real crime lovers who are already used to a certain level of gruesomeness. The only reason that I don’t give a 5* is that we did not really got to know his partner in the investigation, agent Courtney Taylor and as such I did not really care about her as much as I should have. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
A special thank you to Atria Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Chris Carter delivers an edgy, razor-sharp, evil, dark, and twisted psycho-crime suspense thriller, AN EVIL MIND —a sadistic, psychotic serial killer with only seven words, “I will only speak to Robert Hunter.” A man who has not spoken a word since being arrested. Haunting words which will forever change LAPD detective, and the former criminal behavior psychologist's life.

A labyrinth of creepy twists and grotesque turns. The secrets of the past refuse to keep quiet in this disquieting, taut thriller. Readers beware: what flows through these pages is not always easy to stomach, but I dare you to take your eyes off the page.

A freak accident at the local Wyoming diner starts the unraveling of gruesome brutal murders, a chain of events of a sick and twisted serial killer, whose thrills come from torturing and killing. Beginning with two severed heads in the trunk of a car.

Detective Robert Hunter is all set for a vacation in Hawaii, when he receives the call from FBI’s National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime and its Behavioral Analysis Unit. A FBI specialty department providing support to national and international law enforcement agencies involved in the investigation of unusual or serial violent crimes.

For years the FBI had made attempts to recruit Hunter. Hunter would rather be a detective with the LAPD’s Robbery Homicide Division than join the most advanced serial killer—tracking force in the US, and even, the world.

Hunter is the lead detective for the Ultra-Violent Crimes Unit, a special unit created by the LAPD to investigate homicides and serial homicides where overwhelming brutality and or sadism had been used by the perpetrator. Hunter was the best at what he did. His arrest record provided that. He had always declined their offers.

Now the FBI needs Hunter’s assistance, as he is personally involved with some of the victims and the perpetrator. He is the only one which will be able to provide answers to the clues. What makes this so shocking---the person in question and prime suspect, is Hunter’s former Stanford roommate and fellow criminal psychologist! The three friends in college: Robert, Lucien, and Susan.

How could be have been friends with Lucien? Of course, Lucien was always smart and after obtaining his psychology degree from Stanford, Lucien applied to Yale for a PhD in criminal psychology. He was accepted, did three years of coursework, and then simply disappeared. He never completed his doctorate. When did he turn into a sadistic killer?

Instead of Hawaii for a leisurely vacation, Hunter is quickly whisked away to the FBI Behavioral Research and Instruction Unit in Quantico and into something that could only be described as a hellish nightmare. No one had ever come across anyone quite like this monster. Brutality is actually minor, with what is yet to come. Hunter soon will learn of his own past, and how the evil mind of someone he once knew would bring to light to these events.

At first Lucien says he is innocent, leading Hunter with a series of clues to the remote Western North Carolina area (know this area). However, when Detective Hunter and Taylor arrive at the cabin, a shocking discovery. Lucien is indeed a sociopath, guilty, and worse, the gruesome haunting killings are people close to Hunter. He is taunting, everyone, especially Hunter.

Lucien plays a sick game of cat-and- mouse, so he can showcase his work. He loves to brag, thinking he can change the world. He is proud. All the puppets play along with the puppet master, until they find all the hidden information and notebooks to lead them to all the victims, bodies, remains, and families.

Lucien. Going under many other alias and identities. A living, breathing, walking mystery. Someone who had lied to everyone throughout his life. He was focused and determined. A manipulator. Before it is over there will be 80 families. Someone has to stop this monster. Justice. A twenty-five year murder spree. Sadly, Lucien has all this information and knowledge about psychology and criminal behavior; however, fails to see his own psychosis.

It's gruesome, grisly and attention grabbing! Original, dramatic, dark, and disturbing-- readers will find themselves holding their breath, for the next page. My first book by talented Chris Carter, a former profiler—who definitely knows his way inside the criminal minds of the twisted and sadistic serial killer. Scary, psychopaths abound in our everyday life. Watch out for those pies.

A wicked horrific ride! Carter delivers raw and intense emotions, not only from the killer; also his main characters, pulling you further in to the unfolding drama. Fans of Karin Slaughter and Paul Cleave (two of my favorite crime authors), will devour. I had pre-ordered the audiobook, and after reading the advanced reading copy, glued to my iPod, listening---a chilling performance by George Newburn. Having spent time in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil --could imagine myself back on the beach—with the breath taking views of the mountains. This is one spot you can see both at one time.

Intrigued. After finishing the book, immediately going to Audible to purchase Carter’s back list of books, especially the Robert Hunter series. Was so bummed, as NO other books in the series, offered in English??? Hopefully they will be added (similar to Paul Cleave) . . We are slowly getting some of his back list here in the states. Publishers: Please get Chris Carter’s books on audio for all the US fans. I typically read only new books—my blog focuses on new releases, so when I find an author I love, I rely on audio to get my back list “fix”.

Highly recommend AN EVIL MIND -- if you want an intelligent, and sophisticated—well-written chilling page-turner. An intriguing series, and an author, who not only is a profiling expert---a talented criminal psychological novelist. He nails the details. Carter has been added to my favorite author list.

Can't wait for I AM DEATH , coming to US July 14, 2016. Love the new covers ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2015 |
*** 3 out of 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm

Quid Pro Quo

Current FBI statistics state that there is somewhere between 35 to 50 serial killers active at any given time in the United States. You can believe these stats or not, but if you were to judge by thriller novels there is a whole lot more than that. I have read several excellent novels the past few years featuring serial killers, so it can be done, but their very ubiquity of the concept means that writers have to have a fresh take if they want to go down that road. An Evil Mind by Chris Carter is a good thriller, but it isn’t quite original enough to be considered a real standout.

A traffic accident leads to the discovery of two severed heads in the trunk of a car. Robert Hunter, a detective for the Los Angeles Ultra Violent Crime Group, and a excellent criminal profiler, is asked by the FBI to aid them in this case, because the accused will only speak with Robert Hunter. It turns out that the man, named Lucien Folter, was Hunter’s room-mate at college. After this revelation most of the rest of the book is a series of interrogations between Hunter and Folter, with Agent Courtney Taylor along for the ride. There are plenty of twists and turns in Folter’s story, but for long stretches all we get are conversations between the three, with Hunter determinedly not reacting.

About half way through the pace picks up a bit when Folter reveals that he has a live hostage hidden away who will die unless they acquiesce to his his demands. It adds a bit more tension to the story but it’s a device that has been used a lot before. There’s a lot of quid pro quo going on, and Folter spends an inordinate amount of time trying to get under everyone’s skin as his stories of his murders becomes more and more monstrous and gruesome. There are some genuine thrills and chills along the way but Folter’s explanation of his “mission” an attempt to create an “encyclopedia of evil”, strains credulity. Still, the plot picks up speed when the action does, and the characters start to do more than sit around and talk. Near the end he manages to get the investigators to accede to a ton of his demands, and they make some big mistakes, but the finale is satisfying and surprising.

Mr. Carter knows how to creep a reader out, and generate suspense. The prose was transparent in the best way, but most of the characters, including Folter, didn’t quite come to life. Still, if you want a twisted scary thriller, you could do a lot worse that An Evil Mind.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,072,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible