An Evil Mind by Chris Carter

An Evil Mind

by Chris Carter

English (9)  German (2)  All languages (11)
This was a great group read on LT with @Andrew65 but definitely very gritty and not for the feint of heart. A very hard investigation for Robert Hunter when the culprit was his college roommate and is now a serial killer. This roller coaster ride will leave you breathless. Lots of twists and cliffhangers keep you glued until the last page. Recommended for gritty thriller lovers! Can't wait to read the next installment! ( )
  EadieB | Sep 12, 2018 |
If you don't care for gritty, dark mysteries then Chris Carter is not the author for you. At the very beginning of the book Carter makes a statement that you may find quiet disturbing for what it implies. "This novel differs immensely from all my previous books, mainly because this is the first thriller I've written in which most of the plot and characters are based on real facts and people I met during my criminal-behavior-psychology days. The names have been changed for obvious reasons." While reading it try to imagine this monster actually existing and walking among us....sitting down to dinner in the same restaurant...riding the same bus and watching you. If that doesn't give you chills and nightmares then this excellently told story certainly will. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 11, 2018 |
This is my favorite book of this series to far. LAPD Detective Robert Hunter faces another serial killer, but this one is the most creative character yet! Lucien is Robert's former college roommate and friend who he lost contact with over the years. However, Lucien never forgot Robert and followed his life, even managing to kill Robert's fiancee, a crime that remained unsolved until now. In fact, Lucien managed to fly under for radar for a quarter of a century, killing and writing about it. His and Robert's history made this story even better. This was a fantastic read! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 10, 2018 |
An Evil Mind is a suspense thriller with Detective Robert Taylor of the LAPD, who is on loan to the FBI for this serial murder case. In this case, the killer is a college friend of Taylor's, who turns out to be a sadistic sociopath who has been killing for the last 25 years. He would only confess if Taylor was brought in, so he was. Wow. From there it is a roller coaster ride of suspense and pure intensity. It was so hard to put down, as I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. The last quarter of the book had some twists that I did not see coming, but were fabulous to the storyline. It was a thrill ride that I would recommend to anyone who likes suspense books. It is well worth it. ( )
  BonnieKernene | Apr 27, 2017 |
[An Evil Mind] by Chris Carter
Robert Hunter series Book #6
4.5★'s

From The Book:
A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the sheriff’s department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery: a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing, and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years.

The suspect claims he is a pawn in a huge labyrinth of lies and deception—but can he be believed?

The case is immediately handed over to the FBI, but this time they’re forced to ask for help from ex-criminal behavior psychologist and lead detective with the Ultra Violent Crime Unit of the LAPD, Robert Hunter. As he begins interviewing the apprehended suspect, terrifying secrets are revealed, including the real identity of a killer so elusive that no one, not even the FBI, had any idea he existed…until now.

My Thoughts:
This was a reread for me. I really liked it the first time I read it so when my little brain finally grasped the fact that it sounded familiar because I has already read the book....I was so hooked into the story that I continued to read and I'm very glad that i did.

The story was a tad different form others that I'd read since the majority of the book had the killer already behind bars. LAPD detective and expert on Criminal Behavior, Robert Hunter, was on loan to the FBI because the killer had asked for him...would only speak to him and him alone. Robert Hunter knew the killer...had gone to college with him and during that period of time, was his roommate. So how could he refuse?

Thus begins the interview and the story is slowly rolled out of how this monster...who Robert thought was his friend...had killed 31 known victims and possibly more... because death fascinated him. During the interview he delivered the final atrocity...his last capture was still ALIVE...SOMEWHERE. At this point the reader knew where this was headed but were still hopeful. Without revealing the unbelievable ending I will say that the end had quite an interesting twist. Seriously people...this book should only be read by those that are willing to take a trip to the very, very dark side. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 24, 2016 |
*** 3 out of 5 Stars
Review by: Mark Palm

Quid Pro Quo

Current FBI statistics state that there is somewhere between 35 to 50 serial killers active at any given time in the United States. You can believe these stats or not, but if you were to judge by thriller novels there is a whole lot more than that. I have read several excellent novels the past few years featuring serial killers, so it can be done, but their very ubiquity of the concept means that writers have to have a fresh take if they want to go down that road. An Evil Mind by Chris Carter is a good thriller, but it isn’t quite original enough to be considered a real standout.

A traffic accident leads to the discovery of two severed heads in the trunk of a car. Robert Hunter, a detective for the Los Angeles Ultra Violent Crime Group, and a excellent criminal profiler, is asked by the FBI to aid them in this case, because the accused will only speak with Robert Hunter. It turns out that the man, named Lucien Folter, was Hunter’s room-mate at college. After this revelation most of the rest of the book is a series of interrogations between Hunter and Folter, with Agent Courtney Taylor along for the ride. There are plenty of twists and turns in Folter’s story, but for long stretches all we get are conversations between the three, with Hunter determinedly not reacting.

About half way through the pace picks up a bit when Folter reveals that he has a live hostage hidden away who will die unless they acquiesce to his his demands. It adds a bit more tension to the story but it’s a device that has been used a lot before. There’s a lot of quid pro quo going on, and Folter spends an inordinate amount of time trying to get under everyone’s skin as his stories of his murders becomes more and more monstrous and gruesome. There are some genuine thrills and chills along the way but Folter’s explanation of his “mission” an attempt to create an “encyclopedia of evil”, strains credulity. Still, the plot picks up speed when the action does, and the characters start to do more than sit around and talk. Near the end he manages to get the investigators to accede to a ton of his demands, and they make some big mistakes, but the finale is satisfying and surprising.

Mr. Carter knows how to creep a reader out, and generate suspense. The prose was transparent in the best way, but most of the characters, including Folter, didn’t quite come to life. Still, if you want a twisted scary thriller, you could do a lot worse that An Evil Mind.

Full reviews available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

"A freak accident in rural Wyoming leads the Sheriff's Department to arrest a man for a possible double homicide, but further investigations suggest a much more horrifying discovery -- a serial killer who has been kidnapping, torturing and mutilating victims all over the United States for at least twenty-five years. The suspect claims he is a pawn in a huge labyrinth of lies and deception -- can he be believed?" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible