Charlotte by David Foenkinos

Charlotte

by David Foenkinos

10613113,849 (4)4
Recently added bylittlesquirrel, private library, d60c, ldcosta, amyco1e, sprotze, Fanitoh, Iubarta

French (9)  English (3)  Dutch (1)  All (13)
Charlotte: A Novel by David Foenkinos is a frightening tale based on a true story. Charlotte is a young woman during the second World War. She is Jewish and her family want to save her from the Germans. Her mother committed suicide. Her mother's sister committed suicide. An earlier female relative committed suicide. She escaped to her grandparents in the south of France to avoid the Germans. Her father and stepmother went to Holland. In the end Charlotte commits suicide as well. Not a happy story. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Dec 25, 2016 |
A beautiful, deceptively simple look at the life of the artist Charlotte Saloman, who was murdered by the Nazis. Highlighted are her childhood, passion for art and final work Life or Theatre. The author slips into the text:his attempts to find traces of Charlotte today, in Berlin and Nice, his passion for her art. ( )
  charl08 | Dec 25, 2016 |

Charlotte Salomon, gouache from Life? or Theater?

I didn't know Charlotte Salomon before reading Charlotte. I wasn't enthused about reading this book (So why did you request it from Netgalley then? one asks. Because I request everything from Netgalley because free books. That doesn't seem like a very good reason. Well, no. It isn't.) But sometimes a book comes along at exactly the moment you need to read it.

Little by little, she does everything more slowly: eating, walking, reading. Something inside her is slowing down.

Her body, I imagine, being infiltrated by melancholy.

The kind of melancholy that devastates, that never goes away. Happiness becomes an island in the past, unreachable.

I know that feeling!

Grandmother and granddaughter understand each other. Their hearts beat in the same way.

That's how I feel about my grandmother, who I miss like a limb more and more each day.

Paint so she will not go crazy.

Replace paint for write fiction and that's also me.

So I needed this. I needed Charlotte by David Foenkinos.

In style, tone, topic, time period, basically every descriptor of the novel, Charlotte reads like HHhH by Laurent Binet: clipped sentences that function as paragraphs, Holocaust, Europe, World War II, the act of resistance, the narrator as a character in the novel itself, the narrator's search in the here-and-now woven into the historical story of Charlotte Salomon. But don't mistake this for Charlotte being derivative. It's its own story. As Foenkinos says:

I felt the need to move to the next line in order to breathe.

So, I realized that I had to write it like this.

Maybe now, with distance, with writing about atrocities removed from one's own existence by the passage of time, that's all a writer can do: a line or two and then a breath. Else we become overwhelmed. Even so, missteps occur. I knocked a full star off (to four stars out of five) for Foenkinos' disingenuous comparison of his being spoken to rudely by a woman who didn't want him to come onto her private property to the anti-Semitism Charlotte Salomon endured in Nazi-occupied France. Those two things do not merit comparison. I did not like that part. Actually, you can't really like anything in a book about the Holocaust, can you? Like is for ice cream and action movies. I'd say that part made me angry, but the whole book made me angry because one is angry when reading about the Holocaust. One has to be. Disgusted, same descriptive problem. So I guess I'm back to a misstep. Try to ignore that page and read on.

Thus, in summary and in repetition, I needed to read this.

Charlotte by David Foenkinos went on sale May 3, 2016.

I received a copy free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | May 3, 2016 |
Celui qui, vivant, ne vient pas au bout de la vie, a besoin d'une main pour écarter un peu le désespoir que lui cause son destin.

Kafka,
Journal, 19 octobre 1921
Charlotte a appris à lire son prénom sur une tombe.
"Plus rien ne compte que la peinture, c'est devenu une obsession".

"Les professeurs apprécient sa rigueur, son inventivité". "Avec un bonheur boulimique, elle se plonge dans le travail". "Dans sa famille, pas une femme n'a échappé à son destin morbide".

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible