I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79…

I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79

by Lauren Tarshis

No one in the bustling city of Pompeii worries when the ground trembles beneath their feet. The beast under the mountain Vesuvius, high above the city, wakes up angry sometimes -- and always goes back to sleep. But Marcus is afraid. He knows something is terribly wrong -- and his father, who trusts science more than mythical beasts, agrees. When Vesuvius explodes into a cloud of fiery ash and rocks fall from the sky like rain, will they have time to escape -- and survive the epic destruction of Pompeii?
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 22, 2017 |
I read this with my 8 year old son and thought it was a great mix of interest and learning. The story takes place in Pompeii leading up to the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the year 79 A.D. The reader learns about Roman times, a period of great learning and discovery. It was also a period where slavery was commonplace and entertainment was via watching gladiator fights, in which slaves were pitted against each other. The people believed in the Greek Gods which are also part of the story. The book does an excellent job of incorporating many facets of history into this novel without it seeming too intrusive.

I, myself, thoroughly enjoyed this tale and felt like it was a great tool for educating children about history. If I hadn’t been reading with my son, I’m sure he would have skipped the afterward which talks about Mount Vesuvius, the Roman times, and further history of the destruction of Pompeii and the eventual discovery of a buried city. I thought this was a great addition and was glad it was there for additional talking points. I would recommend this for 6-10 year olds. This was the first “I Survived” book that we have read together, but we will definitely be reading more! ( )
  marieatbookchatter | Dec 16, 2016 |
More enjoyable history and adventure. I'd have liked a little more, but this is probably perfect for its intended audience. ( )
  4hounds | Feb 19, 2015 |
These books are historical fiction and all deal with a historical event that happened with a fictitious character. Unfortunately, all of the main characters are boys, but girls still enjoy the read. These are action packed and exciting to read. The students learn a lot of history, and usually research more on the topics. This author recently came to our school to speak with the children. She explained how she became an author despite challenges she faced reading as a child. She inspired our students and her story should be shared with any struggling students in the classroom. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |

During the infamous eruption of Mount Vesuvius, one boy struggles to escape. Can he survive the most devastating disaster of ancient times?

In this thrilling addition to the bestselling I SURVIVED series, readers are taken back to antiquity with a young boy trying to escape as the giant Mount Vesuvius erupts. Does he have what it takes to survive the epic destruction of Pompeii?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible