Sidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman

Sidewalk Circus

by Paul Fleischman

The story shows a great example of how something so simple can become magnificent with just a little imagination at the wheel. A young girl is waiting for the bus when he notices a sign showing the circus is coming to town. She begins to imagine all that she will see at the circus. All the acts that would be at the circus are now seen through the actions of common working people across the street. This book is a great book to teach children that anything is possible when we just put our minds to it. We can imagine anything is possible. Just as the little girl imagined the circus acts through the other people, we can imagine anything. ( )
  amartino1208 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Sidewalk Circus is a book about a circus that is about to open. There is a girl who is waiting for a bus who has a lot of imagination, and she gets to enjoy the circus ahead of time. The girl sees a strong man carrying a bag, but the shadow that she sees is of a strong weight lifter. There is a cook who is flipping pancakes in the air, but the girl sees a juggler. Almost every person’s shadow reflects a person from the circus. The illustrations are wonderful, and there is so much detail in them. The book reflects the power of imagination of a girl. For an activity for students I would ask them to write a sentence or sentences to describe the illustration of each page of the book. ( )
  memaldonado | Apr 19, 2015 |
This book had no words, except for those on the posters. Paul Fleischman shows readers that we can find magic or fun in our ordinary lives, like the city scape in Sidewalk Circus. This is helpful to teach children to be aware of the world around them, especially in a technology driven age. I would potentially use this as an introduction to community, or neighborhoods... I definitely want my students to realize what their environments have to offer. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 6, 2015 |
Sidewalk Circus is by far the most entertaining book that I've seen. The book does not contain any dialogue, but the illustrations tell the story. It revolves around one little girl's imagination that turns an ordinary street into a circus. This story is excellent for children who are beginning to read because it encourages their imaginations. ( )
  jwesley | Mar 3, 2015 |
An imaginative story with no words. An everyday busy street is turned into a circus with the imagination of a young girl waiting for the bus. I loved the creativity of this book as well as the illustrations. The wordless picture books are such a great source for struggling readers or a way to spark children's imagination. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362795X, Paperback)

"This delightful book will fascinate children and help them to see their world with new eyes." -- SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Step right up and witness an astounding assemblage of tightrope walkers, strong men, sword swallowers, and clowns. The Garibaldi Circus is coming soon, but for those with clear eyes, the performers may already be in the ring. So get ready to sharpen your vision and look very closely -- a show like you’ve never seen is about to begin! The creators of WESLANDIA are back in the spotlight with a spectacular, wordless picture book that shows the transformative power of imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:49 -0400)

A young girl watches as the activities across the street from her bus stop become a circus.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763611077, 076362795X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,297,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible