Sidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman

Sidewalk Circus

by Paul Fleischman, Kevin Hawkes

Circus (2)

Sidewalk Circus is a great wordless picture book that I enjoyed a lot. The illustrations were of course one of the reasons I enjoyed the book. They really depicted the city streets in a vibrant way. There is also great use of juxtaposition in the pictures. For example, on one of the pages the circus man is putting up a poster of a man juggling. Meanwhile in the window next door, a woman is inside juggling pancakes on the stove. The characters were also well depicted. I could imagine seeing every one of them walking down the streets of Baltimore City in the 1950's. The books main idea was imaginative thinking. It made the reader think about how life is really just an everyday circus.
  rking17 | Oct 1, 2015 |
Sidewalk circus is a great historical fiction. Between the element of story and the beautiful illustrations, this book is sure to capture the reader's attention. The common theme or focus of this book is all centered around an upcoming circus in town. As bystanders sit on nearby benches and take in their surroundings, it seems as though the circus has already begun. Construction workers that walk on high support beams of a unfinished building, hint at a person who might be walking a tight rope act at a circus. Furthermore, the illustrations are not only just colorful, but very detailed. The faces of worried characters are presented with bright red faces which allow the viewer to understand the severity of ensuing consequences. Sidewalk Circus presents the reader with one direction and quickly builds on an idea that may not have been inferred in the beginning. ( )
  Cdavie3 | Oct 1, 2015 |
The story shows a great example of how something so simple can become magnificent with just a little imagination at the wheel. A young girl is waiting for the bus when he notices a sign showing the circus is coming to town. She begins to imagine all that she will see at the circus. All the acts that would be at the circus are now seen through the actions of common working people across the street. This book is a great book to teach children that anything is possible when we just put our minds to it. We can imagine anything is possible. Just as the little girl imagined the circus acts through the other people, we can imagine anything. ( )
  amartino1208 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Sidewalk Circus is a book about a circus that is about to open. There is a girl who is waiting for a bus who has a lot of imagination, and she gets to enjoy the circus ahead of time. The girl sees a strong man carrying a bag, but the shadow that she sees is of a strong weight lifter. There is a cook who is flipping pancakes in the air, but the girl sees a juggler. Almost every person’s shadow reflects a person from the circus. The illustrations are wonderful, and there is so much detail in them. The book reflects the power of imagination of a girl. For an activity for students I would ask them to write a sentence or sentences to describe the illustration of each page of the book. ( )
  memaldonado | Apr 19, 2015 |
This book had no words, except for those on the posters. Paul Fleischman shows readers that we can find magic or fun in our ordinary lives, like the city scape in Sidewalk Circus. This is helpful to teach children to be aware of the world around them, especially in a technology driven age. I would potentially use this as an introduction to community, or neighborhoods... I definitely want my students to realize what their environments have to offer. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 6, 2015 |

Paul Fleischmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, Kevinmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362795X, Paperback)

"This delightful book will fascinate children and help them to see their world with new eyes." -- SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Step right up and witness an astounding assemblage of tightrope walkers, strong men, sword swallowers, and clowns. The Garibaldi Circus is coming soon, but for those with clear eyes, the performers may already be in the ring. So get ready to sharpen your vision and look very closely -- a show like you’ve never seen is about to begin! The creators of WESLANDIA are back in the spotlight with a spectacular, wordless picture book that shows the transformative power of imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:01 -0400)

A young girl watches as the activities across the street from her bus stop become a circus.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763611077, 076362795X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible