Sidewalk Circus by Paul Fleischman

Sidewalk Circus

by Paul Fleischman

This book had no words, except for those on the posters. Paul Fleischman shows readers that we can find magic or fun in our ordinary lives, like the city scape in Sidewalk Circus. This is helpful to teach children to be aware of the world around them, especially in a technology driven age. I would potentially use this as an introduction to community, or neighborhoods... I definitely want my students to realize what their environments have to offer. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 6, 2015 |
Sidewalk Circus is by far the most entertaining book that I've seen. The book does not contain any dialogue, but the illustrations tell the story. It revolves around one little girl's imagination that turns an ordinary street into a circus. This story is excellent for children who are beginning to read because it encourages their imaginations. ( )
  jwesley | Mar 3, 2015 |
An imaginative story with no words. An everyday busy street is turned into a circus with the imagination of a young girl waiting for the bus. I loved the creativity of this book as well as the illustrations. The wordless picture books are such a great source for struggling readers or a way to spark children's imagination. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |
A great wordless picture book that engages readers visually and promotes the power of imagination. It gives a new meaning to the saying "this place is a circus!" In Fleischman's city, it literally is! ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 27, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. The illustrations tell a great story about a sidewalk circus going on that only children seem to notice. It gives light to a child's imagination, while adults seem to be lost in their own worlds. I will be adding this to my collection. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 17, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362795X, Paperback)

"This delightful book will fascinate children and help them to see their world with new eyes." -- SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Step right up and witness an astounding assemblage of tightrope walkers, strong men, sword swallowers, and clowns. The Garibaldi Circus is coming soon, but for those with clear eyes, the performers may already be in the ring. So get ready to sharpen your vision and look very closely -- a show like you’ve never seen is about to begin! The creators of WESLANDIA are back in the spotlight with a spectacular, wordless picture book that shows the transformative power of imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:49 -0400)

A young girl watches as the activities across the street from her bus stop become a circus.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763611077, 076362795X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,562,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible