Nemesis Games by James S. A. Corey

Nemesis Games

by James S. A. Corey

Series: The Expanse (5)

English (25)  French (1)  All languages (26)
As the fifth in a 9-part trilogy of trilogies, this book is clearly meant as an inflection point in the Expanse series. Like the first four novels, the chapters rotate in viewpoint among a handful of characters. But in the first four novels, those viewpoints were James Holden, captain of the Rocinante, and three or four others, outside the crew. This time, the other viewpoints are the other three crew members, Alex, Amos, and Naomi, and no one else. This time, none of the four characters are on the Rocinante, nor anywhere near each other. Alex, Amos, and Naomi each return to their points of origin, in unrelated cases of unfinished business. This time, the protomolecule, the driver of the series so far, plays almost no role in the plotlines. But, never fear, big and terrible things still happen, on both an individual and grand scale, and the story clips along at the same pace as previous novels, with the same mix of action, horror, and occasional humor.

Recommended for fans, but only after reading the first three books. (The fourth, the most unrelentingly grim one, is optional, as far as this book goes.) ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Jul 22, 2018 |
Finally we get to explore more points of views from the crew of the Rocinante. I especially enjoyed reading more of Naomi and found her backstory very interesting, but also Amos and Alex got an interesting and enthralling story. I even grew to like Holden!

Avasarala is my favourite character and I think my only complaint this time around was that we don't get to see as much of her as I'd like.

I'm excited to read the next book! ( )
  Vinjii | Apr 16, 2018 |
Not as good as the previous four in this series. As usual excellent characterisation and page-turning prose, but the story-line is weaker than usual and the book, which is really part one of a two-part story, is a little stretched. It feels like they've tried to make a 700 page story fit over two 500 page books. Unusually for Corey it feels a bit padded. Still strong enough that I want to immediately read Book 6 to see where it goes! ( )
  malcrf | Apr 13, 2018 |
Originally posted at www.csdaley.com

It isn't always easy reviewing a fifth novel in a series. By now most people who are reading this series don't need to be convinced to keep reading it. They need only one thing. The confirmation that the series is still great and heading in the right direction. I can assure you that all things are wonderful in The Expanse universe. Well not for the characters but for us, the spoiled readers.

It is hard to maintain the momentum in long series. It is particularly hard to maintain it in long books in long series. I have given up on quite a few series that I was in love with early on but eventually wore me out with the feeling that I had been there before. This has not been a problem with The Expanse series. The first three books were brilliant and then at the end of the third book (Abaddon's Gate) Corey knocks us out with a twist that opens up hundreds of possibilities for new stories. So far the authors have not disappointed with those possibilities.

Nemesis Games is wonderful for a new reason though. While Holden has always been front and center in the series, this book dives into the other crew members' histories and gives some meaning and nuance to their story that wasn't there before. What I love the most about The Expanse series is how big the universe is but how intimate the story can be. How each book builds upon the last one and leaves you wanting more. How the plots are giant space operas filled with giant moments but you come back for your familiar friends.

As in every book before this one the plot is huge and full of future ramifications by the end of the book we have added some old characters to our crew and the story is barreling off in a direction that I did not see coming. James S.A. Corey seems to be writing these books in sets of three. This would make Nemesis Games the second book of the second arc. It spins the story into a new direction and leaves me waiting expectantly for the next book. Luckily, for all of us fans Corey has consistently put out a book a year. Of course, this still means I have to wait a year. I have said it before. The Expanse is the best thing going in science fiction right now. If you are not reading this series, you should be. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

I can barely keep up with these folks, and I'm reading these as fast as I can. Not complaining, mind you! (I just added all their short stories and novellas to my reading list as well.)

Talk about taking 5 books to get to the crux of the matter. I will give nothing away (hate nothing more than spoilers), except to say that uncomfortable feeling you get every time Naomi talks about her past? Here's the reveal. And it sure is a monstrously huge one. In fact, this book does all sorts of new things, including splitting up the team for the first time. (Side point: I know what Franck and Abraham are doing there. They're making you hate that SO much that you know the team will stay together from now to the end. And there's nothing more comforting than that in this series.)

Not to say that sending all 4 protagonists to different ends of the galaxy wasn't smart. It's not that there were fewer suspenseful moments, it's that those needed to take place all over space (that's what happens when you expand your galaxy, see also: the series title!).

So, yup, I gobbled this one right up and moved on to the next. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I finish #7. Oh, right, I have all those lovely stories and novellas to see me through til the 2018 publication of #8. Whew. ( )
  khage | Feb 28, 2018 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ben Cook, without whom
The twin shipyards of Callisto stood side by side on the hemisphere of the moon that faced permanently away from Jupiter.

The fifth novel in James S.A. Corey's New York Times bestselling Expanse series--now being produced for television by the SyFy Channel!

Ships are disappearing without a trace. Private armies are being secretly formed. The sole remaining protomolecule sample is stolen. Terrorist attacks previously considered impossible bring the inner planets to their knees. The sins of the past are returning to exact a terrible price.

And as a new human order is struggling to be born in blood and fire, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante must struggle to survive and get back to the only home they have left.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

"A thousand worlds have opened, and the greatest land rush in human history has begun. As wave after wave of colonists leave, the power structures of the old solar system begin to buckle. Ships are disappearing without a trace. Private armies are being secretly formed. Terrorist attacks previously considered impossible bring the inner planets to their knees. The sins of the past are returning to exact a terrible price. And as a new human order is born in blood and fire, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante must struggle to survive and get back to the only home they have left."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible