NEED by Joelle Charbonneau
1931261,059 (3.63)None

The teens in Nottawa Wisconsin high school are joining the newest, hottest networking site and answering one question: what do you need. In exchange for a minor task, the NEED site will fulfill their request. One of the teens, Kaylee, is desperate to help her brother who needs a new kidney. Others are asking for backstage passes to a concert, new iPhones and money. Things get out of control and students start dying. Who is behind NEED? The book shows how teens can be consumed by greed, and what can happen to your town, school, and friends because of it; a story of crime, mystery, and violence.

Janice P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
NEED is an amazingly well written book. I can't really call it a favorite, but it was so well done, I want to read other books by Joelle Charbonneau like her Testing series.
"NO ONE gets something for nothing. We should all know better." These statements from the front of the book really set the theme.
NEED is the story of a social network website that targets students at a high school in which the protagonist, Kaylee is a student. The purpose of the website it to grant the "needs" of students who join. As we quickly learn, the website doesn't give things without a cost.
Kaylee is introduced to the website by her best friend, Nate, whose brother, Jack, has been active already on the site. We meet several students who begin to use the site, but before long, they are being asked to do things in payment for their "need" that don't always seem right. The story gets really intense when a student dies from a severe allergic reaction when she eats a cookie laced with peanuts that was delivered in a gift box to her door.
Many issues are addressed in this story including greed, selfishness, and heroism. The story ends leaving open the possibility for a sequel.
The book should be classified as a young adult, psychological thriller that borders on horror - a very scary, well written, thought provoking story that is a faced paced page turner and well worth the read.
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
This book was intensely chilling for me. Why? Because I can so clearly see something like the plot of this book actually happening. A completely anonymous website that promises to give you things you need just by fulfilling a simple task? And then they reel you in and the tasks become more and more dangerous. Yes, this so could happen in a high school. And while all of the different POV's sometimes confused me, it also showed the different types of teenagers and how they reacted once things started happening. I've known or heard about each of those types of teenagers, and it is scary to think about something like this really happening. So while this was a very entertaining and thrilling book to read, I also think it can teach students the importance of being extremely careful on the internet. A few quotes that I liked:

1. We’re all so used to new things appearing on the Internet every day that we don’t question what’s behind them before welcoming them into our lives.

2. No matter how many warnings are posted, no one actually believes that online behavior can hurt their lives or the lives of others. Especially if there is a cloak of anonymity. Everyone feels shielded, safe, and invincible.

Read this for the fun of it, but also read it to become more aware of your choices online.

Areas of concern:
*A mild amount of cussing. No *f* word.
*Creepiness factor is pretty high. Several deaths of high school students and other intense happenings.
*Talk of adultery.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Apr 5, 2016 |
I received an ARC ebook from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Excellent--4.5 out of 5 stars.

What if social media could be used for something evil? That's the problem "NEED" addresses, and it works. The novel grabbed my attention all the way to the end. However, the big reveal lacked motivation and broke my suspense of disbelief. For that, I dropped half a star.

The numerous POVs were difficult to track at first, but it gets better as the novel progresses. I appreciated how well the writing was, as each one of the POVs had a unique voice, a very difficult thing to achieve.

Overall, an attention grabbing, fast paced thriller with a good--not great--ending. ( )
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |
Despite some very large plot holes and an improbable premise set up to read like realistic fiction, I really enjoyed reading this book. Mostly while I was reading it because when I tried to do a book talk on it later it came out as sounding convoluted. The book read fast and I was intrigued with the pacing and the suspense but I had figured out the bad guy about half way through which always slows me down. The were also a couple of times when I was thinking, " REALLY?" but despite that I finished it quickly and it has been well liked by the kids I know that have read it.

Curricular connections - I'd sat this one should be a strictly for pleasure recommendation ( )
  ECrowwwley | Feb 29, 2016 |
To my brother, TJ, also known as AJ, Anthony, Tony, and XJ.
Sorry, but you will always be TJ to me!

"In this exploration of the dark side of social media, and government control and manipulation, the teenagers in a small town are drawn deeper and deeper into a social networking site that promises to grant their every need--regardless of the consequences"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible