Our Souls at Night (2015)

by Kent Haruf

Series: Holt cycle (6)

1,8521956,562 (4.01)261
A spare yet eloquent, bittersweet yet inspiring story of a man and a woman who, in advanced age, come together to wrestle with the events of their lives and their hopes for the imminent future.
Recently added bymhplibrary, private library, giovannaz63, PatsyMurray, boldforbs, bibliolist, Britlitnick, MRMP

English (178)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (191)
I loved this short, sweet book. At least some of it is sweet. It was wonderful reading about Addie and Louis finding love and companionship in their golden years. I felt as if I was right there with them, the proverbial fly on the wall, listening as they got acquainted. Their stories were so common and realistic that it felt like I was reading about actual people. So I almost cried at the end which seriously was not cool since I was listening to an audio book at work. I don't need to weep while I type on my computer and have my coworkers think I am crying about real people, but that's how it felt.

This story was such a testament to me about living beyond the expectations of others when whatever you want to do is a private affair. Small minds want everyone to toe the line and behave in a prescribed manner even when behavior outside the lines doesn't hurt anyone. I think Addie and Louis were brave to seek their unusual relationship in a small town where everyone knew their business. And it grieved me that one person could take all the happiness away.

And on a side note, the audio book I listened to was narrated by Mark Bramhall who is always understated and wonderful. He does not read women's dialogue with an unnaturally high squeaky voice which I hate. A good choice for a quick audio book. ( )
  boldforbs | Jan 15, 2021 |
Short and oh so sweet, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
So cute. 70+ yr old widows m/f. The f invites the m to sleep over some nights. She is lonely and imagines he is too. Offers a platonic friendship. The nights are hard and she'd like company.
-----------------

Well after that initial interesting start I began losing interest fast. Insta love. Then us the reader, get a huge dose of reality in the way of the f's grandchild moving in while his parents (her son) work through some issues. Then we get to witness a very ordinary life. Get a dog, go camping, eat at a friends house, find baby mice in a shed...

If I wanted to read about people's every day life I could just go ask my mom or my in-laws or even my neighbors what they are up to. There were no "peeks behind the curtain", nothing of interest to me in regards to reading preferences. Very character driven. *yawn*

The last 1/3 I knew I was near the library and could grab another book so I started skimming and ultimately felt fine just returning it.

Th author Laurie Halse Anderson said, "An absolutely gorgeous story. Simple, devastating and joyful." which led me on and sealed the deal on adding it to my tbr. Can you blame me?

But don't listen to me, it's just not my thing, there are plenty of people who eloquently explain why it's a great story for them and maybe a bit of a peek into a future many of us may face.
  Seayla2020 | Dec 17, 2020 |
So short yet sent a powerful message. Agree that it was an unusual way to start a friendship - meet in bed, rather than for drinks or meal. Understood the idea that you can fill your days but the nights are left for thoughts. Addie set the rules all along about the relationship although Louis did make it more public. Loved how they tried to make the Grandson learn about loving and caring when it comes to animals (mice, dog) as well as people. Sorry that her son Gene could never get the idea of relating to people as evidenced by his marriage, his feelings for his own mother. Glad that Addie still needed the support of emotional talk always. Even the ending although sad still showed there was still hope and love through conversations. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
I listened to the audiobook some time ago at the start of the COVID lockdown - it was a beautiful listen and I was touched by the characters. I liked that it was a short book - not belaboured - making a book the right length is an art I greatly appreciate. ( )
1 vote Okies | Nov 23, 2020 |

Haruf, Kentprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Cathy
And then there was the day Addie Moore made a call on Louis Waters.
"Who does ever get what they want? It doesn't seem to happen to many of us if any at all. It's always two people bumping against each other blindly, acting out old ideas and dreams and mistaken understandings. Except I still say that this isn't true of you and me. Not right now, not today."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,540,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible