Fighting Instinct by Mary Calmes

Fighting Instinct

by Mary Calmes

Series: L'Ange (2)

91950,433 (3)None

So I have now learned that getting into the tub with the intent of starting a Mary Calmes book is a surefire way to end up sitting in the freezing cold water for three hours because you are so engrossed in the story. Or, at least, that is what happens to me. The thing is, this book isn't perfect, but it was just so damned readable and I am =totally sucked into this world, no matter how much it doesn't make sense at times.

And once again, I apologize if what I say makes little sense, because I'm once again reviewing a book while high haha.

For those of you (like me) who thought that this would be a book about Tucker (the jackal) and Arman (the whatever-he-is) - nope. It's Arman and Linus (the white stag), which was...surprising, because I don't think they even really interacted at all in the previous book. But they have this huge backstory that we weren't privy to in the first book in the series, which almost felt like a cop-out, because their "relationship" felt really sudden and intense without warning. Arman and Linus go from zero to sixty in just a few pages, with Arman telling Linus in one chapter that he's going to go out and fuck someone else because Linus apparently isn't giving it up, and in the next chapter they are destined mates or something. But since their romance has been building for seven years off-page, we're just supposed to be accept the whiplash pace.

And let's face it - Arman is a dick. He knows that Linus was brutally raped by multiple wolf shifters, and yet he's yelling at Linus about fucking some other guy since Linus won't let him fuck him. I mean, on the one hand, I can understand Arman's frustration here, because he's been somewhat celibate for a while, and he and Linus AREN'T in a relationship, at least not when he says that. But he plays with Linus' emotions and leans into blackmail territory to get Linus to sleep with him, which just isn't cool either. But apparently that's okay, because being an alpha must mean also being a jerk to your mate?

Or maybe it's okay because Arman has a magical healing dick. Linus has been so traumatized by being gangraped over the span of months that he has remained celibate for seven years. Seven years of celibacy and fear. But one tumble with Arman between the sheets (with a brief moment of hesitation) and all is right in Linus' sexual world. I just don't see that as being realistic. At all.

The author throws in a shit ton of new characters and new mythos in the last quarter of the book, and it was hard to keep my mind straight over who was affiliated with which pack, etc, etc. And it's pretty clear that Jon is going to get a book of his own (I believe his story is the next book in the series - which I will NOT start in the tub! LOL).

This entire book takes place over the span of like three days, so it's...crazy fast. But I just couldn't put it down, in spite of all the ranting above. There's just something about this series that makes me want to devour it. I would have enjoyed the book a lot more, however, if we had seen more development (and at a slower pace) and watched Arman win Linus' trust. ( )
  schatzi | Jan 7, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible