The Secret Lives of Men and Women: A…

The Secret Lives of Men and Women: A PostSecret Book

by Frank Warren

Series: PostSecret

English (14)  French (1)  All languages (15)
I continue to enjoy the PostSecret books. This is my third one to read recently. Poignant, funny, sad--a quick glimpse into the lives of strangers. (Some visitors to my church last week shared with me that they really liked the spoken "Joys and Concerns" portion of our service, because it allowed them to get to know something about the congregation, eventhough the people who spoke were strangers to them. It's similar to this, I think.) Some of my favorites in this book:

*I was crooked. They straightened me. Now I'm limited. I'll never be able to dance the same way.
*I occupy the empty side of my bed with random stuff so at night I feel like I'm sleeping next to someone.
*Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world.
*I have a suicide prevention hotline programmed into my cell phone under the name "Erin."
*To save time in the morning, I always put my kids to bed with clothes, shoes and socks on! ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Pretty much the same as the site, only now with a nice binding and far more secrets at a time. It doesn't seem fair to rate this (so I won't), because the content isn't the same as the concept. I like the concept, and I read the site every Sunday when it updates, but reading a whole book in one go is rough. Some of the secrets are hopeful and some are funny, but on the whole it's an artistic expression of loneliness, sadness, and regret. The concept--that people will confess to secrets anonymously, that doing so is cathartic--is a good one, and I like the artistry of many of the postcards. But on balance, the books contain more of the sadness than the hopefulness, and it's not something I'd want to pick up when I'm already feeling down. Unfortunately, the books tend to be downers at the best of times; I do wish there were more of the hopeful, happy secrets distributed throughout.
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
Following on from his first book, Frank Warren has done it again, given us a book full of the secret thoughts of men and women from all walks of life. Some sad, some funny, some amazing but all true! ( )
  Fliss88 | Oct 2, 2011 |
What can I say? These books are great! ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
Perhaps in response to the second book in the series (My Secret) being dedicated to the secrets of teens and young adults, this book is full of the secrets of adults. Author Frank Warren originally began the PostSecret project as an art project collecting postcards designed by anonymous strangers who revealed secrets along with their artwork. Secrets range from the humorous to the heartbreaking, on such diverse topics as parenthood, marriage, sex, faith, religion, suicide, homosexuality, and so on. Each postcard is a snapshot of a story, totally engrossing in its own right. Combined, the book is one of those that the reader is unable to put down until finished. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 11, 2010 |
Whenever I fly I put hopeful messages in the seat pocket for the next passengers to read. -Utah

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061198757, Hardcover)

Postsecret.com founder Frank Warren is back with an irresistible addition to his bestselling PostSecret series. For The Secret Lives of Men and Women, Warren has selected a never-before-seen collection of postcards bearing the explosive confessions and captivating revelations of men and women everywhere. Created using photographs, collages, illustrations, and more, the handmade cards offer a compelling dialogue on some of today’s most provocative topics—from marriage and infidelity, to parenting, office politics, repressed fantasies, and even abortion—daring us to consider how well we really know our friends, family, even ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:31 -0400)

Shares provocative, shocking, and humorous confessions by ordinary men and women as penned on homemade postcards and sent to the founder of PostSecret, a community art project that evolved into a website.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,344,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible