Das Büro der einsamen Toten by Britta…

Das Büro der einsamen Toten

by Britta Bolt

244443,774 (3)None

Dutch (2)  English (2)  All (4)
Lonely Graves is the first book in a crime fiction series featuring Pieter Posthumus (Pieter is relieved when others do not comment on his last name when they first meet him), a team member of the council department known as the Lonely Funerals team. The Lonely Funerals team is responsible for visiting the homes of those who die without family or friends willing to wrap up the deceased's affairs and take care of funeral arrangements. Pieter cares deeply for those deceased whose files appear on his desk, and goes about making final arrangements for them with the utmost respect. Pieter is not a detective but, of course, there is going to be something suspicious and complex with each death that draws him into investigating.

This series is off to a good start for me. I like the character of Pieter Posthumus and look forward to seeing him develop further as the series continues. I was a bit scattered as I tried to keep track of character names, and was stretched a bit by some regional descriptions since I have no familiarity with Amsterdam, but I found myself easing into it as the story and characters developed - this was aided by a list of Dramatis Personae in the front of the book (thank you Authors!). The pacing of the book was good, especially since the authors needed to spend some time developing the character(s) and setting. The pace picked up toward the end of the book as the pieces of the crime(s) started coming together, and I stayed up way too late reading in order to see what would happen!

I have books two and three in the series on my reading stack already and look forward to jumping into book two right away. I really want to spend more time with Pieter and (hopefully) some recurring characters that are a part of his life - this is an excellent sign of my enjoyment. ( )
  TerriB | Nov 13, 2017 |
Lonely Graves – So many twists and turns.

Lonely Graves by the duo Britta Bolt is the first in what will be the Posthumus Trilogy an excellently translated work set in their adopted city of Amsterdam. What has been created is an excellent suspense thriller that has bundles of twists and turns. For a first crime thriller this is a winner for the writing duo as the plot is well thought out and well written.

Pieter Posthumus works on the Lonely Funerals team after being moved sideways in the City Council for always going that little bit further than required. The Lonely Funerals team is responsible to make sure all those that die alone do not go unmourned on their final journey. Pieter takes his responsibilities seriously as he tries to trace the families as he finds out as much as he can about those who have died.

A young Moroccan is found dead and has been ruled as a suicide or accident by the police and the case has been closed and passed to the Lonely Funerals team. The job of finding out who this Moroccan is lands at Pieter’s desk which he tackles with relish and starts digging in to this person’s past. This will bring him in to contact with those being investigated by the Secret Police who want to arrest a group of Moroccans for terrorism offences.

Pieter or as he is known PP leads his investigation with all the humanity he can bring and a certain charm. I personally preferred reading PPs investigations that the conflicting investigations of the Secret Police which seem to drag on, who seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot.

Remembering that this is a translation the prose is quite clear and crisp and the editors have worked well. This is not a racy read turning pages at a rate of knots, but it is an enjoyable read with many twists and turns that sets you up for the next book beautifully. ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Aug 1, 2014 |

Pieter Posthumus is a member of Amsterdam's Lonely Funerals team. It's his responsibility to give the anonymous or abandoned dead a decent send-off. A determined, passionate man, Postumus cannot let things go when they don't seem quite right. When a young Moroccan immigrant is found in the Prinsengracht canal, the police write it off as an accident or suicide. Posthumus is sure there's more to it than that. He takes up the case and starts digging - an investigation that leads to him getting caught up in a terror plot and in the way of the Dutch secret service.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible