The Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise Brown

The Golden Egg Book (1947)

by Margaret Wise Brown

I liked the book "The Golden Egg Book” for many reasons. First, I really enjoyed the language. It was descriptive and engaging. The plot was developed and exciting for children. Books about animals and friendship are always relatable to children’s lives. Second, the writing is very engaging for young readers. Students can participate and make predictions while reading. For example, “He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?” Finally, illustrations enhanced the story. The illustrations are appropriate to the mood of the story because they are so colorful and bright. The message of the story is about friendship and companionship with others. ( )
  esiera1 | Apr 26, 2014 |
This is a cute little story about a lonely bunny who found an egg. The bunny doesn't know what the egg is and tries to find out what's inside. The bunny finally gets tired and falls asleep next to the egg and a duck hatches out of the egg while the bunny is sleeping. The bunny is confused about who the duck is and where his egg went. The duck and bunny eventually become friends and no one was ever alone again. Its a very touching story about friendship. ( )
  RiaO | Nov 28, 2013 |
Once there was a little bunny all alone with a bright blue egg. The egg wasn't like every other egg because the bunny could hear something moving inside. The bunny was trying to figure out what was inside, so the bunny shook it, pushed it with his foot, jumped on top of the egg and through nuts at it. The final thing that the bunny did was roll the egg down the hill. After trying to break the egg open the bunny got tired. Once the bunny was sleeping the egg had finally hatched. Once the egg had hatched the bunny didn't wake up so the duck did the same things that the bunny did to the egg. The bunny woke up eventually and the bunny and the duck were never left alone.
This was a great story because it shows that once you work hard for something it pays off. And in this story it pays off for working hard to wake up the bunny and the duck so that they won't be alone ever again and will be happy together as best friends.
  MariPechacek | Nov 11, 2013 |
I don't think this is one of the more widely known books of Brown's but it was the first book I remember in my life, period. The book was physically huge, and although I'm sure my perspective is way off, I know that there is a size much larger than this typical Golden book. Ours was falling apart from having been read so much, held together with yellowing tape.

But it was my favorite book, and I have very fond memories of it. It's a sweet story about a bunny that finds an egg and is curious about it. The art isn't up to today's standards and is quite dated, but the bunny is still adorable and the pictures a riot of colors filling the whole page. I highly recommend this book to anyone who remembers being a curious kid. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
Baby Bunny finds an egg. What could be in it? He tries to get it open, but just can't crack it. So, he goes to sleep. The little chick hatches and wakes up the bunny and they are friends.
  kjburkhalter | Apr 16, 2010 |

Margaret Wise Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Obligado, LilianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once there was a little bunny.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037582717X, Hardcover)

Once there was a little bunny. He was all alone. One day he found an egg. He could hear something moving inside the egg. What was it?

So begins the Golden Easter classic about a bunny—and a little duck that is about to hatch!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:28 -0400)

A lonely little bunny finds an egg, and when it hatches into a duckling, they become friends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible